The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Yee Ha Newbie with a password
Mack Quinney

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 7:41 pm    

Howdy Folks,

New member here. First I gotta say what a wonderful forum! I have been reading posts for a while now and just got my password today. (Thanks B0B!) So many nice people and players and some of my heroes as well. And such helpful folks.

A little about myself. I have been playing piano since I was six, then graduated to guitar, and have been playing steel (maybe playing at steel) for only three years. (I’m 45 now) I think I have one of just about everything (drums, bass, mandolin, lap steel, accordion, banjo, 15 guitars etc…) and love to play them all!

I have played pedal steel for only three years and am a newbie. It is simply fascinating to me. When I got my ShoBud I though either I would learn it or it would make a very nice ten string cheese slicer for my kitchen. I have stuck with it, and no cheese has been sliced! I’ve got a ways to go, but it is a blast. This forum has helped a lot. Thanks!

Just wanted to introduce myself, and say hello and thanks for the wonderful posts.

Mack

Brian Folks

N. Padre Island, Tx.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 7:49 pm    

Hi There Mack...I know you will enjoy being a member of this great Forum and welcome aboard...Keep on Pickin'...Your South Texas Friend...Brian

Mack Quinney

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2008 8:57 pm    

Thanks Brian,
Looking forward to it. This is a great forum.

Mack

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 2:21 pm    

Welcome Mack,

I would still be just surfing the Forum had it not been for my wife sending b0b the money a couple of years ago so have fun and enjoy.

Chuck Thompson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 4:11 pm    

welcome mack! Smile

Jerry Grant

Bartlett, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 5:14 pm    

Hi Mack,
Welcome to the forum. I was delighted to see this!! I live over in Bartlett and am a new player myself. Maybe we could get together and visit and try playing a little tune or 2. Please call me if you are so inclined. 254-527-3280.
Again, welcome

Jerry Grant
Session 500, Bandit 112, Fender Pro 185
Epiphone 6 String Acoustic

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 5:30 pm    

Welcome Mack,from Alabama,DYKBC.

Mack Quinney

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2008 4:31 am    

Charles
Chuck
Dick
Thanks for the welcome!

Jerry,
You bet! Not too many steel players around here that I have found, so I will certainly give you a call. I have a committment this Saturday so I will try and give you a call on Sunday. Maybe you can talk me out of cutting off my right hand Laughing this blocking thing is giving me #$%^!

Have you met Jim Flyn? He lives in Salado and builds steels. Very nice guy.

Mack

Jerry Grant

Bartlett, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2008 4:48 am    

Good Morning Mack,
I'll be around the house all week-end. I don't get out much other than drive in to Austin to work everyday.
Yes, Jim and I are friends. I visit with him once in a while. Had him add 3 more knee levers on to one of my steels. Great guy.
Since you have been playing for I while I can probably learn more from you than you from me. But it will be nice to visit, talk 'shop', and play a few. Look forward to hearing from you.

Jerry
Session 500, Bandit 112, Fender Pro 185
Epiphone 6 String Acoustic

Sandra Harlor

Nowra NSW, Australia
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2008 11:39 am    

Hi Mack and welcome to the forum.
I'm a newbie here too, only a few months and also have background in piano. There's plenty of help and support here. You only have to ask and someone will jump at the chance to give you advise and guidance.
They are a great bunch.
Cheers
Sandra Smile

Dan Burnham

Greenfield, Tennessee
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2008 1:17 pm     Welcome

Welcome to the forum. I hope you have as much enjoyment as I have from being a part of the forum.

Dan

Carroll Hale

EastTexas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2008 1:53 pm     hey man

welcome to another fellow texan....I am also new to steel guitar......good to have you on here...and there are lots of helpful folks on here.......

I taught/coached for 21 years.........is jarrell the town with a "high powered" 6 or 8 man football team...man, I love that hi speed sport....lots of passing...I coached regular 11man teams...
ch

L. Blake Bowthorpe

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2008 1:56 pm    

Greeting's Mack!, from the chosen land!, thank's for your remarks, by the way i live in South Jordan, we were neighbors when you were out here!, any-who thanks and good-luck

Mack Quinney

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2008 4:37 am    

Dan,
Carroll,
Blake,
Thanks for the welcome. I know I will enjoy the forum.

Sandra,
Reading one of your posts on another thread it sounds like I might need to invest in Jeff's "Right Hand Alpha" instructional material. The piano background has made finding chords, runs and phrasing easier, but hasn't helped me with right hand technique.

Right hand blocking is giving me fits, and it seems this is the key to speed. Will Jeff's course help with this?

thanks

Mack

Mack Quinney

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2008 4:45 am    

Carroll,
Jarrell is just north of Georgetown on IH 35. (about 12 miles) It's known as the place that had the cat F5 tornado about 11 - 12 years back.

I have been here about a year and a half and don't have kids, nor keep up with the school here, but I think you are correct that they do have the 8 man football team and did very well the last few years. I don't think Jarrell even has a news paper! If I find out for sure I will let you know.

Thanks for the post.

Mack

John Richmond

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2008 9:58 am    

Howdy Mack,
Welcome aboard this wonderful Forum that b0b and others provide for us. I live in Portales, New Mexico,Us of A, land of the Quien Sabe'. My cousin lives outside of Mission, Texas. I've never been there but she has invited me down to visit. If I get close to Jarrell I might swing by. Good luck with your steel guitar endeavors, and have fun!
Regards, John Richmond Smile

Sandra Harlor

Nowra NSW, Australia
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2008 12:37 am     Jeff's "Right Hand Alpha"

Hi Mack,
Jeff's "Right Hand Alpha" teaches palm blocking and gives you exercises to strengthen fingers and give correct right hand blocking positioning. Great to get it right before developing bad habits or correcting them if you do have them.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Sandra

Mack Quinney

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2008 3:23 am    

Thanks Sandra,
I will have to order that one. I understand the theory, but am unsure if my hand position is correct. Maybe Jeff's course will help.

Just got Buddy Emmons "Intros and Turnarounds" course in the mail so I am working on this one for the next few weeks. Smile

Thanks for the help.

Mack

Mack Quinney

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2008 3:32 am    

John,
Oh yes the land of Enchantment! I lived in El Paso for about three years,,,love NM. If you come my way you will have to bring me some red chile.

Give me a shout if your in my neck of the woods.

Mack

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2008 3:35 am    

Mack - welcome.

This place is a mine of information. The search button is the best place to start if you want to find out anything, as the chances are it will have been raised previously. Good luck with your learning path.

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2008 9:42 am     Welcome Mack

Mack great to see you!...Welcome to the forum..
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2008 2:04 pm    

Welcome from upstate NY, Mack. I know you'll enjoy it here. In case you have not discovered it yet, Our good friend Micky Adams ( from the post above) has done us all a great favour and posted many "How To" play steel intro's and breaks on Youtube for us all to "steal" Very Happy You can check him out at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Singlpilot

Welcome again and a big thanks to Micky for all of his work!

Gary Shreve

Mansfield, TX
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2008 8:23 pm    

Hi Mack. I'm up in Mansfield, just southeast of Ft. Worth, and I just started learning the pedal steel. Welcome to the forum, and if I understand correctly, Micky Adams recently moved to Dallas...or is moving to Dallas. So...I don't think he'll sound the same...Hi, this is Micky Adams from Dallas, Texas. I guess we'll get used to it!!!

Anyway, I'm interested to know how you've done in your first three years on the pedal steel. I, too, have a long piano and six-string guitar background. If you get a minute, would you PM me with how you got started on the steel and any particular struggles you've had? I'm really curious.

Otherwise...welcome.

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2008 2:42 am    

Welcome to this Great Forum Mack
yer gonna love it here

Mack Quinney

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2008 5:27 am    

CrowBear,
Thanks for the welcome. Already love it here!

Gary,
I will PM you shortly. Thanks

Larry,
Thanks for the welcome. I think I have watched all of Mickey's YouTubes videos. Some I can latch on to, other are beyond me at this point in time. Mickey is becoming a YouTube STAR! Laughing I posted on YouTube under the name "motosteel" on Mickey's last video (Your Man by Josh Turner)prior to him moving to Dallas. Great stuff and very very helpful.

Mickey,
You Da Man! Hope you are getting settled in Big D. Welcome to Texas. Thank you so much for all of the instructional information on YouTube. I tend to spend my Saturdays with you! Laughing My girl friend is not real enthused about that. I wish I was coming to the Dallas show this year just to thank you in person. As you have time, keep up the YouTube posts. Your post on YouTube has helped me more than any thing so far!

Ken,
Thanks for the welcome. I haven't tried the search button yet. That's a good idea. Thanks