The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What a GREAT time in Phoenix!!!!!!!!!!!
Red Kilby

Pueblo, CO, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2008 1:21 pm    

Hi everyone, I just wanted to let all the folks like the Easton's, the Porter's and everyone else that put on this wonderful show in Phoenix this year that Linda and I had a Great time as usual. We are so looking forward to coming back again.

Thanks so much for the great fellowship and the kindness that all you steel players have shown us, it is so awesome to be a part of this wonderful family.

I would like to send out a special word of thanks to the steel players that asked me to sing on their part of the show, Austin Stewart WOW what can I say 13 years old and playing the old songs like a veteran, you did a great job on "Way to Survive" and the Bar slants were Cool. Looking forward to doing it again.

Jonathan Candler, Kiddo you are great and Linda and I love Ya Lots. It is always so fun just sharing the stage with you and your Dad, and to the whole Candler family for the great hospitality when Linda and I came thru Yuma last week, it is so cool to see such a tight nit family that believes in good Christian Values and also apply them, LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!

And what can I say Norm Hamlet, it was a true honor to just be on the stage with the man that has been with The Hag for 41 years, Thanks Norm for just letting me be a part of your show.

Some of the highlights of the show, and I sure don't want to leave anyone out you were all Great!!!!, 1st of course JayDee Maness, he was superb, and he played a song that he had never played before that just knocked everyone out called "Forever loving You"

Then also yesterday afternoon unbeknownst to alot of the folks in the main hall, there was a steel guitar summit going on in the MSA room, the following players David Wright,JayDee Maness,Jim Cohen,Russ Hicks,and Fred Justice just had a Jam session and all that were there know what I mean<<<<. It was Awesome!!!!!

I also got a chance to hear a player on Friday that I had never had the pleasure of hearing before that blew me away Dan Tyack, you did a Great job!!! If you get the chance to hear him play do yourself a favor, and please do.

Tommy Dodd, WOW!!! like always my friend.

Jim Loessberg, what a great tone!! and you play a Great shuffle, and teamed up with his new bride Dottie Jack, they were a great team, and they did a great job. P.S. Dottie your new CD is REAL COUNTRY!!!,I loved it!!!!!!!!!!!
Then Jim also backed up the legend Johnny Bush and hit all those classic notes right where there supposed to go.

I know that I am leaving some of the highlights out, and like I said I am sorry to those folks, but I am sure that the folks that attended will be putting their favorite parts of the show on here too, and to all you folks that did not make it, please make it a point and put it on your calender for next January THE SOUTH WEST STEEL GUITAR CONVENTION 2009 Phoenix, Arizona.

God Bless you all!!!!!!!!!! Red and Linda Kilby

www.redkilby.com

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2008 4:11 pm    

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2008 5:46 pm    

Hi Red, Thanks for the report. Sound like a good time was had by all. See you down the road. Jody.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2008 5:50 pm    

DITTO'S This show is getting bigger and better every year. I thoroughly enjoyed it again this year as every year before.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Jim Stahlhut

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2008 6:26 pm    

Chuck and I had blast playing the show,and I really enjoyed playing with Albert Talley. That was fun! Great lineup for the whole show and you can't miss with Doug Jernigan, Thanks to the SWSGA!!!!
Jim

Doug Childress

Orange, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2008 6:27 pm    

I thought it was the best SWSGA Show yet!!!. Good crowd and great players. This show is becoming one of the best....It needs the support of the steel community. The weather in Phoenix is wonderful this time of year and there are so many people here for the winter. The preservation of the steel guitar in the southwest and on the west coast needs a home west of Dallas and I believe that the SWSGA is the appropriate place. I encourage the support of the SWSGA. These folks are really working hard to foster something special for our enjoyment.

Bob Case

Grand Junction, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2008 6:59 pm    

Thanks to all of the SWSGA folks for their hard work. This is a wonderful show and Lisa and I both had a great weekend. Count us in for next year.
Bob

Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2008 7:53 pm    

Whew!
My very first show (Saturday attendance only) and I was blown away!

Mr. Red Kirby, you sounded excellent in every performance! (pic below w/Norm Hamlet)

Doug Bovine's (Earnest Livingston) Smile set was incredible, and you could've heard a pin drop as he was performing selections from Bach and Mozort!

Doug Jernigan was fabulous.

Tommy Dodd's "New Kid in Town" was killer song/killer tone (Mullen G3)....and what a tremendous act of kindness you showed to the SWSGA in regards to the NV112!!!

Could've listened to Jaydee Maness on the MSA Studio Pro all day and night...I enjoyed him the most.

Russ Hicks is always tremendous, and as stated above the jams in the MSA room were worth many times the price of admission.

Fred Justice is one heck of a player Whoa! !!

I'll be back next time.

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2008 9:03 pm     Topic: What a GREAT time in Phoenix!!!!!!!!!!!

Red, you bout summed it up. I'm extremely grateful for the opportunities that we receive from these great talents.
I agree about all your comments. JayDee never sounded better. All the Players showed their STUFF. SWSGA layed out a Top Shelf helping of hospitality and had a great show.
Enjoyed visiting with you as I always do.. Sometime we'll do a little harmony thing together.
Take care,
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Wally Maples

Murfreesboro, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2008 10:28 pm     SWSGA Show Phoenix

Fab show. What talent. And that BAND WOW!! I've made 3 of the 5 and hope for many more

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2008 9:08 am     Re: What a GREAT time in Phoenix!!!!!!!!!!!

Red Kilby wrote:
And what can I say Norm Hamlet, it was a true honor to just be on the stage with the man that has been with The Hag for 41 years, Thanks Norm for just letting me be a part of your show. ...

Red, how time does fly! It seems like only yesterday Norm had only been with Hag for, oh say 38 years. Very Happy Coincidentally, I believe I got my first Merle Haggard album in 1967, which was about the time that Norm started playing steel for him.

Nice pic, Steve. Thanks for posting it.

Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2008 10:01 am    

What a great time at the SWSGA's show in Phoenix. This was my favorite year. I love the new hotel, the great sound system and video screen, and of course, the wonderful house band. Thanks to Billy, Joe, Troy and Peggy for all of their hard work putting this show together. I look forward to next year when we'll have, as Russ Hicks mentions, "a large time."
Chuck

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2008 10:38 am    

Well,I finally made it home from the most amazing show in Phoenix,Here's a few pics,Al Vescovo,Dan Tyack,Chuck Lettes,Chuck back with J.D.Maness.

Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2008 12:25 pm     What a GREAT time in Phoenix

The backup band in Phoenix is top shelf.
Al Bruno and Johnny Davis on Guitars, with Jim Stalhut on some sets.
The usual Roy Rosetta who continues to get better with age, kinda like wine.
Ben Brogden, on a really great Musicman bass.
Paul Polish, one of the best drummers you will find.
When you get a group like this together, a steeler or a singer has no fears. The absolute best you can find.
Thanks to all of them for their support and friendship.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Paul Polish

Concord,NC,Usa
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2008 3:15 pm    

Hey Y'all,
Just got home about an hour ago- 3:30 Monday PM.
Just wanted to say that Dee and I had a ANOTHER GREAT time in Phoenix. Wow, Billy and ALL of the crew just continue to put on a GREAT show. Better and Better evry year...
All of the players were GREAT this year and I thank them for allowing me the prviledge of working with them at this show. It's always a pleasure for me to get to work with such high caliber players.

I just wanted to say thanks to all of the drummers that sat in with a few of the players, I can always use a break. A nicer bunch of drummers you will never find, all were very considerate and treated the drum kit like it was their own instead of a rental kit that you beat the crap out of. And since the kit is MINE, I REALLY APPRECIATE IT. Its not that way in all places...
Thanks again to all the players and Billy and crew.
Paul and Dee

Ron Turner

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2008 4:10 pm    

In my opinion this has been the best show yet. Appreciate all the hard work done by SWSGA to make it all happen.

www.clictab.com
www.ronturnermusic.com

Rick Jackson

Carson City, Nevada
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2008 6:15 pm    

I have to agree with all the above. It was truly the best SWSGA show yet. It is always a pleasure to see Bud & Geri Isaacs, Bobby Black, Norm Hamlet, Herb Steiner and the list goes on.Attached is a photo of the "Mike ettes" dancing to Mike Perlowin's set. It was both scary and funny at the same time! Laughing The one highlight that really stands out for me was watching Austin Stewart, with his grandmother on vocals doing "I'll Come Running". He had the Weldon Myrick licks down cold with his own added style present and Donna doing a great job on the vocals. I have another great photo of the past and the present attached here, Bud Isaacs, Austin and Johnny Bush.

Troy Porter

Globe AZ USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2008 8:34 pm    

On behalf of SWSGA members and staff, I would like to thank everyone for all the nice comments on our 5th Annual Show and to all that attended and everyone that worked so hard to make this event possible. I would like to thank all the girls that worked the registration desk, the awesome sound and camera crew, the stage hands that worked so hard keeping the show moving along on time, the guys that MC'd the show and the greatest steel guitar back up band ever. Thanks to all who purchased raffle tickets for the Nashville 112 & Steel Guitar Quilt. The amp was won by Tommy Dodd who in turn donated it back to SWSGA and was auctioned and won by Herb Steiner. Thanks Tommy. The quilt won by Jeremy Wiley from St. David AZ. I would also like to thank all the great steel guitar players that kept this show rolling for 3 straight days. Last but not least the steel guitar venders that always provide their support for SWSGA. I didn't mention names as it would take forever to list all the names of everyone it took to make this show complete. Again, Thanks To All Of You.
Troy
Vice Chairman SWSGA

Roy Rosetta

Nederland, Texas.. On the Texas Gulf Coast
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2008 9:12 pm    

What a great show in Phoenix. The SWSGA did it again...WOW...!! Thanks Billy, Troy, Joe and Peggy (with lot's of support from many others in the organization, I'm sure) for a great show and all your hard work. Barbara and I got home about 4 pm today a bit tired from the drive, but we had a wonderful time and I thank the SWSGA for allowing me to be a small part of this great show.
All the players on the show were superb. I won't even try to name them all for fear of missing some great players name so "kudo's" to all of them for a job well done. I had a super time working in the staff band with some of the finest musicians one could hope to be on stage with. Paul Polish, Ben Brogdon, Denny Sarver, Johnny Davis and Al Bruno. These guys are world class musicians. "Thanks" to another world class musician, Doug Livingston, for working some sets for me and giving me some time off.
Hopefully those of you that were un-able to attend this years show will make it a point to come next year, I promise you won't be dissapointed.
Thanks again SWSGA, we love ya.
....Roy

Jerry Lee Newberry

Prim, AR USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2008 10:18 am    

Thanks to the SWSGA for having a WONDERFUL show again this year and for letting Jerry and Austin be a part of it. We left Phoenix Sunday morning about 6am and got home Monday morning about 5am. Long drive, but well worth it all. Thanks to all the band members for doing there part with us. A GREAT JOB AS ALWAYS!!!!!!!!! Thanks Rick for putting up the picture of Bud, Austin & Johnny. That did turn out good. Hope to see a lot of you all in Dallas.

Donna

Dana Stewart

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2008 10:28 am    

Hi Red. Austin said to say "Thanks" for singing on his set. He had a great time. You did a good job.

Rick, That picture of Austin with the greats, Bud Issacs and Johnny Bush, is so cool. Thank you for posting that.

We would like to add our thanks to Billy, Joe, and the whole bunch at SWSGA for inviting us out to AZ. We always have a wonderful time there.

I am going to try and post a few pictures below here. If they don't ever show up, just assume I never figure out the system.

Dana

Dad playing his set at AZ (good job Dad) with Austin playing bass in the background. I know steel fans will throttle him for this, but he would rather play bass these days than steel.

Austin feeling mighty proud to be on stage between his two buddies, Paul & Roy.

Austin & Meme doing "I'll Come Running".

Red Kilby sing "Way to Survive" with Austin on steel.

Red giving me a photo opp. while Austin wonders why in the world Red is looking over his shoulder.

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2008 9:16 pm    

Red, it was great to meet you in Phoenix, and I'm looking forward to playing with you in the future.

Joseph Meditz

Sierra Vista, AZ
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2008 9:22 pm    

Billy Easton and Ray Harrison on vocals

Jerry Fessenden and Doug Livingston on piano

Jim Loessberg and Dottie Jack

JayDee Maness and Frank Carter

Mike Smith

Jim Loessberg and Johnny Bush

Russ Hicks

Jim Cohen

Bobby Black

David Wright

Herb Steiner

Dean Parks on guitar and Mark Giles

Eye Candy by Mark Giles

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2008 9:11 am    

Great pics, Dana and Joe. Thanks for posting them.

L. Blake Bowthorpe

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 10:16 am    

My Wife & I had the pleasure of attending this show, all i can say is WOW!. I had the pleasure of hearing & learning aboot some player's i've never heard before, and you were all so kind and friendly to us. Thank to you all. sincerely Blake & Karen Bowthorpe