The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  John McClung lessons
Kjell Olofsson

Sweden
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2016 12:18 am    

Over the last year or so I have been taking Skype lessons with John McClung going through his E9 101 course. I just want to say how much this has helped me in getting started and getting a good foundation as a beginning steel player.

As a teacher John is very easy to work with, always positive and supportive and he has a great ability to spot problems in your playing and set you on the right path to correct them.
I really liked the structured approach he has with the E9 course, each lesson has a purpose and a goal. Besides the obvious parts with right and left hand technique etc. a big benefit for me has been the large emphasis on music theory and ear-training.

Skype lessons work very well even from (almost) the other side of the world and since you record every lesson you can go back and review it as much as you like.

I know it has been said on this forum before, but I just want to say that I agree with the positive comments about John's lessons and way of teaching
and I can really recommend taking lessons with him.

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2016 1:52 am    

Thumbs up!

Fred Wright

Minocqua, Wi USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2016 12:36 pm     John McClung

I agree. He's the best! Fred

Jeremy Klein

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2021 10:23 pm    

Just wanted to chime in on my experience with John:

I recently finished John's E9 101 course and felt like I got more than my money's worth. John's lesson plan is comprehensive and well organized, and the lesson handouts are something I still regularly refer to even after completing the course.

During the lessons, John was always friendly and accommodating. Despite the lessons being highly structured, he was always willing to tap into my own interests and goals on the PSG and personalize the lesson.

If I had continued to try and teach myself with books and youtube videos, I wouldn't have progressed a quarter as much as I did with these lessons. Couldn't recommend more to a beginning steel player!

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2021 9:31 am    

Thank you for the very kind words, Jeremy.

Jeremy came to me with a decent music background, so we sped through my" E9 101: Bandstand Fundamentals" curriculum to ensure he had a handle on all the basics of chords, scales, how to hear chords and melodies, and how to play with taste and tone. Towards the end we threaded in songs he was working on for his band needs. That's always my general approach, I do my best to tailor teachings to every student's unique needs and desires.

I do have openings for new Skype students, so if you're brand new to E9 pedal steel guitar, or struggling on your own and just need some guidance and direction, please reach out to me via email, and I'll send you complete info.

John McClung
steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
310-480-0717

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2021 8:31 am    

John, I think you play a Universal 12. Do you give lesson on them. I know you can use standard E9th/C6th lesson with them. Not sure what all maybe out there for them.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2021 8:58 am    

Sorry, Jim, I only teach 10 or 12-string E9. I teach to my strengths and knowledge.

All best,
John McClung
Pedal Steel Lessons, Casuals, Sessions
Olympia, WA 98512
Email & PayPal fees – steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Easy PayPal link: https://www.paypal.com/paypalme2/JohnMcClung
Website – http://steelguitarlessons.com
Skype name: professortwang
Cell & text: 310-480-0717

Jeremy Long

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 3 May 2023 8:44 am     Another vote for John McClung's lessons!

I was lucky enough to take in-person lessons from John in San Pedro, CA back in the day, but there are certain benefits to having it digitally captured forever for recall purposes. I can't recommend John enough for lessons on everything E9! It has been said on the forum before, but the difference with his lessons are the personal touch catering to what your specific goals are. You can bring him a song and he'll quickly transcribe it. He even shows you work-arounds if your copedent is different. Are you starting from scratch? No problem. His curriculum takes you from "This is a steel guitar" to more than competent chording, fills, solos, etc... The attention to detail is what all the other courses lack. The hands-on approach. Speaking of hands, he studies your hand as you strike the strings! (He even shaped my picks for me that I still use to this day!) Graduating his course gives you the tools to take what he's taught and use it to transcribe pedal steel material for yourself and take it as far as you want! I was a guy in Long Beach, CA who had just bought a steel and needed guidance. Cut to 12 years later and I was playing that same steel on The Grand Ole Opry! All thanks to John McClung. In summary, if you're thinking of taking lessons with John...DO IT!!!

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2023 9:55 am    

Kind words, Jeremy, thank you!

I'm very proud of Jeremy's progress playing steel. He came to me a great musician already, a whiz at lead guitar and keyboards, so the task was simply to show him the logic and structure of the E9 tuning, and he applied everything he already knew to the steel.

Consequently, he sped through my E9 101 curriculum in record time. And now he's a pro out of Nashville!

Your background goals and may be more modest: having a better understanding of the E9 tuning; comprehending music more deeply; learning how to better transcribe those great licks you hear on records; etc. Whatever your goals and needs are, I do all I can to help you achieve them, and approach teaching you in a friendly, supportive way that works best for you. I bring to the table nearly 50 years of playing professionally, and 30 years of teaching.

How can I help you become the steel player you want to be?

Play purty,
John McClung
Pedal Steel Lessons, Casuals, Sessions
Olympia, WA 98512
Email & PayPal fees – steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Website – http://steelguitarlessons.com
Skype name: professortwang
Cell & text: 310-480-0717

David Greenblatt

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2023 2:42 pm     John McClung Pedal Steel Lessons

I'm new to Pedal Steel. Played my first one less than 6 months ago. Although, I've played regular and lap steel guitar for a few years, I knew I would have to start with the basics on Pedal Steel. I live in the Los Angeles area. I couldn't find any in person lessons near me. On the Forum, I came across John McClung's name and the reviews about his lessons. I contacted him. He asked me very good background questions (skill level, influences, why Pedal Steel, etc.), and he agreed to take me as a student.

We started with the basics (palm blocking, fitting picks, bar type, position sitting at the Steel, foot angles, hand positions, etc.). Since I have good understanding of the standard tuned guitar fret board, I was able to quickly pick up where the I, IV, V chords were, etc. and what the A & B pedals could accomplish with the four basic grips. My playing, however, was beginner at best. But John gives a very specific practice and homework regimen. I just completed my 3rd lesson, and I have seen definite improvement for all my skills.

John also approaches his teaching with a thoroughness and logic. For instance, he's designed his own tabs that make studying very easy to follow.

John is supportive, patient, and treats me like a peer. Whenever I think I'm lost with the Steel, he always guides me in the right direction. His mantra for his students is Patience, Practice, Persistence, Time and Faith that I can do it.

I feel fortunate to be able to take lessons from John. Now if I could only squeeze another couple hours a day of practice (because these lessons challenge me to do better. In fact, John wants me to practice all my lessons, not just my current one -- all good. As I said, my skills are definitely improving.)

But most important, John's showing me a path to be a musician on this instrument.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2023 12:33 pm    

David, thanks for your kind words!

If you're new to pedal steel, my true goal is to show you the PROCESS that will get you on the road to playing professionally, surviving and thriving on the bandstand. I teach you how to think, and play, like a pro.

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2023 1:18 pm    

I took lessons with John in 2019, I signed up before my old Sierra even arrived! You can’t go wrong with John’s method. I am not sure I would still be playing if it was not for John’s encouragement and method that takes you step by step, one piece at a time.

Michael Rademacher

Killeen, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2024 10:26 pm     Taking lessons soon!

John has been very patient waiting along with me for my new guitar to arrive. It is my first PSG so I have no idea how well I will do on it. He has held my spot through several delays in the production of my guitar, and for that I am grateful. I just got an email from Derek P. today containing a tracking number for my glorious new Rittenberry. I am so excited to be getting it a few days from now. Lessons will commence soon but not immediately, as I just bought a house last week and will need to get settled in before I tackle this 10-stringed monster. If John can get me making some Classic Country sounds I'll be one happy camper!
May God have mercy on my no-music-theory-having soul.