The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  noisy static when recording?
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2007 2:24 pm    

I have tried a few times to record into my computer, I always end up with a steady, clicking noise along with the recording. I am trying to use a Sound blaster external sound card, which plugs into a usb port. I tried it with Audacity, Soundforge, and N-Track studio, all the same. I tried it with a Dell laptop and also the desktop computer. I used a couple of different small mixers, into the sound card, no change. Do I need to get a more expensive recording interface? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2007 4:17 pm    

If you are getting the "noise" from the internal sound card and the external SoundBlaster device, it would sound like it's something other than the sound card that is causing it.

If you use a computer mic into the PC's mic input (not a P.A. mic) do you get noise? Or if you input something else into the Line In on the sound card, such as an MP3 player do you get the noise? If there is no noise from these inputs it would seem to say the PC and sound card are good and it's the device you are recording from.

What are you trying to input? If you are trying to run a guitar (instrument level) or a standard P.A. mic e.g. a Shure 58 into the PC inputs, they are very low level devices and are way below the signal level that a PC needs (more closely a "line level").

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2007 7:21 pm    

Jack, I want to record my guitar directly into the computer. I got the external sound card because the laptop only has a mic in jack. I have used this sound card to record cassette tapes into the desktop without problems. I'm running the guitar into a mixer, mixer to the line in. I'm going to try again tomorrow, I guess I'll figure this out eventually! Thanks.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2007 3:04 am    

If it worked OK with the previous recording then it's whatever you have connected now. The mixer to the USb "line in" interface is the way to go as that gives you the required signal level.

You can also try the mixer to the mic in and see if that also has noise. The mic is only mono (just the tip is the signal).