The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone use EZDrummer for recording drum tracks?
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2007 8:03 am    

Curious if anyone uses this software for laying down drum tracks. Looks great judging by the some Youtube video demos and description on their website:

http://www.toontrack.com/ezdrummer.asp

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2007 2:30 pm    

Hey Bill, EZ Drummer is pretty much just like it says. It's very easy to use and sounds really good. If it had a down side I'd say it was lack of control. The interface is simple which is the way they want it so that it can truly be easy for anyone to use.

I'd like to see a few more parameters to tinker with but over all I don't think you can go wrong for a starter drum program to begin your recordings. I do think that as your skills grow you might want to move up to another more sophisticated app like DKFH, (drum kit from he??) or Addictive Drums theysound good and have many more things to tweak such as layering mic placement, tuning and on and on.

Please don't think I'm putting down EZ Drummer in any way because I'm certainly not. I used it for a long time and still use it for certain projects when I'm in a hurry or just need a good sounding simple kit.

Definitely check it out I'm sure you'll love the drum sounds themselves.

Bob

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2007 7:31 am    

Hi Bob and thanks for the post. I downloaded the demo of Addictive Drums and have it running in Garageband now. I've played with it for about 5 minutes total. Learning curve will be steep as I'm totally ignorant on drum software and recording in general.

Getting decent drum tracks in a recording seems like a royal pain in the butt. Between finding the right beats or programming them, and then having to do fills etc seems like you really need to be a drummer to make this sound half-decent.

I'll admit that for me it's all kind of discouraging. I'd much rather be playing my guitar.

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2007 8:12 am    

Hey Bill, there are places online that you can get what they call midi loops that you just pick out of a folder and drag them into your sequencer and build your drum tracks like that. It's a lot easier than trying to build your own and of course there's always band in a box some of their drum tracks are pretty good and just need a little editing.

If addictive drums seems pretty confusing don't feel bad at all because I'm a veteran midi/sample user builder I mean 25 years plus and I had a little struggle with some of addictive drums but I think if you feel you have the time to work at it you could learn them pretty quick.

On the other hand like I said yesterday there's not a thing wrong with EZ drummer other than it is pretty simple but the drum sounds are on par with most good drum programs.

One of the main places I use to buy some good country midi loops were at www.groovemonkey.com another was www.smartloops.com they both had packages with hundreds of loops for around 20 bucks. So it might be worth a look. Of course you would still need a good app like addictive drums to play them back but that might eliminate one of your headaches.

Let me know how things work out.

Bob

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2007 8:39 am    

I bought EZDrummer a few months ago, and haven't used it a lot, but IMO it's much easier to use than a drum machine. No real programming involved you just drag one of the midi loops into the app and off you go. The library contains fills, verses, choruses, etc. in almost all the styles. I did find that the Nashville library was required to get some shuffles that I liked.

EZDrummer is very intuitive once you mess with it a bit. I did find that certain DAWs don't support drag and drop of MIDI info onto a track. Be sure and check the compatibility list on the toontrack webpage.

http://www.toontrack.com/ezdrummer.asp#instrumentlist

The link to the compatibility list is down toward the bottom of the page in the right column. There's also a nice tutorial/walk through video up at the top...

Since I'm using an older Paris system that doesn't support EZdrummer as my main DAW, I'm using a shareware DAW called Reaper that seems to handle EZDrummer without problems. I assemble the drum track in Reaper then export the tracks as .wavs to my Paris system... seems to work fine.

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2007 10:55 am    

I've got some Beta Monkey and Drums on Demand discs of beats/fills etc. They aren't midi to my knowledge, but are real recordings of a live drummer.

They sound good, but I have several problems with these:

1. Hard to find a beat that sounds like what you want. It seems I'm always looking for something that isn't part of their library. For instance, I'm currently working on a version of the tune "Apache" and can't find any beats that sound like horses clomping Laughing
2. Tedious to go through them to pick one out.
3. They are fixed bpm and if sped up or down sound wierd.
4. No control over the actual sound of the kit

The above is now why I am considering EZDrummer and the like. EZdrummer (and Addictive Drums) also have loop libraries so that will still be an option.

Apologies for whining!
Razz

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2007 3:12 pm    

Yes Bill, you'll find audio loops are a little harder to work with than midi loops. Now depending on which DAW you have they can be easier or harder.

I have Sonar 6.21 and it has a feature built in that will stretch audio loops quite a bit either way without any artifacts but it still has limits. It actually uses the same technology that Acid uses. Which DAW do you use?

You can also buy what they call multi track loops and in a convoluted way you can control each piece of the drum kit in any way needed such as volume, pan or just about any thing you want to do to them and they still act like stereo loops.

So the places you got the stereo loops sell those multi track audio (real) loops but unless your DAW has the stretching feature like I was referring to you'll still have a hard time with changing speed.

I forgot that EZ Drummer came with midi loops and you can also buy extra midi loops from toontrack's web site like Bill Terry mentioned. I have been programming my own drum tracks for so long that I forgot about the midi loops that come with both programs.

Another big disappointment I had in stereo audio drum loops is the consistency of the kits in different styles of drum playing. When I first started buying audio drum loops I bought sets of loops in many different styles and from many different companies never thinking about the incompatibility of mixing different loops from different companies. So at first I had to limit myself to using only loops from one company and one style to keep the drum kits the same throughout the entire song. Later on I learned from my mistakes and only bought drum loops from one company and made sure they used the same bone dry kit on all the packages I bought so it got easier as I went on.

I'm still not a big lover of audio looped drums in either format multi track or just stereo. I thought it would be the end all do all solution when I was able to afford multi track drum loops but like I said they are a little funny to work with as well and sometimes if you listen close to the loops they used the same kit throughout all the loops but no doubt changed drummers at different points and I could tell a difference in technique and feel some of the fills in the same genre and folder would not work with other fills. You know how everyone's taste differs well drummers do as well. So then I made sure and started asking if the same drummer played all loops or had they changed drummers and if they had I didn't buy them.

So now I have a lot of loops just setting on my hard drive that I'll never use again. Midi loops are so much easier to work with no time constraints and can very easily be separated to different tracks which you know the importance of already.

Let me know if there's anything else I could help you with but it looks like you probably know as much as me hehe you've been buying loops from the same company as I have. The next time I will ask Smile

Bob

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2007 3:29 pm    

Reaper also does that stretch of MIDI loops very well. When you drag in a 'loop' it's really a pattern and will occupy 1 to 4 measures depending on how the loop was created I guess. So, for example you drop in a 2 measure loop, and then just stretch the object and it repeats itself as necessary. Very nice to be able to chop a piece of a loop and paste it where you want it, or extend it to a full 16 measures or whatever you need. The fill loops work the same way.

This does create a stereo track (2 .wavs) when you export, but it has it's own mixer as part of EZDrummer that let's you mix each drum mic, room verb, etc. before you export. Of course if you render the track the effects are locked and you can't change them unless you go back later and re-render with the desired changes.

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2007 11:12 pm    

For the record, I'm using Garageband (Mac). I'm trying to keep the expenditures to a minimum as well. What I'm finding out about recording is that like anything else, the sky's the limit in terms of time and money. I'm trying to make due with what I have without going into debt buying a bunch more stuff and am hoping to find a reasonably inexpensive solution for drums that also won't take me forever to learn and use (which is why I don't want to buy a drum machine).

I really appreciate all the comments and help. There's so much out there it's quite daunting. The upside is hopefully I learn something useful and have a little fun doing it along the way.

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2007 8:32 pm    

I love EZDrummer

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2007 8:00 am    

Just ordered EZDrummer based on everyone's feedback here. Thanks to all for your comments. You'll probably see me back here in a couple weeks with some EZDrummer questions once I get a chance to start playing with it Very Happy

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2007 1:39 pm     Addictivedrum - on sale, ends soon

For anyone interested in the basic or premium pax
www.dollarwarez.com/dl2/addictivedrum

Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2007 9:14 am    

I think you'll dig it Bill, I do.
The Nashville expansion is great.

Allan Thompson

Scotland.
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2007 6:28 am    

Just got the Nashville expansion for EZ drummer and it is great.

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2007 6:15 pm    

OK, I got it running, but am having an issue with the interface disappearing after dragging a loop into a Garageband track. I've posted a message on their support forum but no luck yet.

Anyone using EZDrummer with Garageband?

Terry Gann

Overland Park, Kansas
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2007 8:29 am    

I've had EZ Drummer for a week. Worth every penny. Fast and fun to use.
I am using Logic on a Mac.
I also have the Beta Monkey and Drums on Demand loop CDs. They have their uses but EZ Drummer is much more productive. After about an hour using it I decided to get some of the expanson packs. Considering the Nashville and the Vintage Rock expansions. Has anyone messed with those?

BTW. Guitar Center has EZ Drummer $50 cheaper than Musician's Friend.
$99.99
psgs: Fessenden SD-10, Nashville LTD SD-10, lapsteels: Fouke Indy Rail, OAHU Tonemaster, Roy Scmeck. amps: Fender Steelking, Boogie Nomad, Marshall TSL, Bogner Alchemist, POD Pro, Boogie Studio Preamp. Pedals... lots and lots of pedals!

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2007 9:21 am    

Another vote for the Nashville expansion pack, very good...

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2007 1:52 am    

So, Do you need to buy the EZ drummer for $179 and then the Nashville pak for another $99 ?

Is that the way it works ?

thanks

tp

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2007 5:48 am    

Yes, you buy EZDrummer and it comes with rock/pop kits and grooves, and some Brazilian grooves and a cocktail drum kit.

It works with Garageband but there are some real annoyances that supposedly are fixed with the latest update of GB (4.1.1) I'm still running GB 2.0.2 but have iLife 08 on the way so we'll see if 4.1.1 really fixes things.

My advice is if you are interested in EZDrummer to first go to the Toontrack.com forum and search for threads regarding your DAW software and how it works with EZ prior to purchasing it.

Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2007 1:56 pm    

thats good advice. I find the techs there on their forums to be very helpful

there are definetly some issues across different DAWS and different OS's as there are with any plug in vsti's, but the toontrack people always seem to work as best they can to overcome those problems, unlike the DAW companies who more often than not just kind of shrug their shoulders and say "too bad for you".

I dont use GB so cant comment on your problem Bill , but I do know that on some other DAWS i have heard of the GUI interface disappearing or drag and drop not being supported.

Wokrs wonderfully for me with Tracktion 3. It IS a bit expensive once you start buying the expansion packs, but to me its worth it, very much so. i think one could get by easily with the base program, there are still lots of patterns and sidesticks and such and groove monkey sells more patterns for all styles if you need em for fairly cheap (they also have freebies so you can go there and get some free patterns)

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2007 8:49 am    

Toontracks is having a sale on the expansion packs until 12/31/07. It's a "buy 2 get 3" sale. I might just have to go for it if I can get EZdrummer to play nice with the latest version of Garageband (4.1.1) which I will be installing soon.

I want to throw out an unsolicited pitch for musicstudiodirect.com as a place to shop for this. I bought EZdrummer from them and they had the best price and fast shipping. Talked to them on the phone and they are very nice mellow people.

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2007 9:33 am    

Is it possible to give each instrument (kick, snare h/h and so on) it's own track in pro-tools or on a HD24?
Johan

Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2007 11:00 am    

Quote:
Is it possible to give each instrument (kick, snare h/h and so on) it's own track in pro-tools or on a HD24?

Its possible in my DAW, so I imagine it is in others.
If i remember correctly there are some sort of issues with ezdrummer and protools so yu may wanna check the toontrack forums for that to be sure

There is also a mixer interface in the ezdrummer GUI itself which allows you to not only adjust levels of every part of the kits individually, but also mic placements and even has some interesting mixer presets.

Also with each kit for each drum and cymbal there are usually a few choices given as to brand and drum/cymbal size, and for some kits you can select the hits to use sticks, brushes, or even hands(nashville kit)
BTW if you wanna save space or load time, you can select "none" for the drums in the kit that arent being used. Very useful if your gonna lay down a separate track of say just cymbals and are gonna use a separate instance of ezdrummer to do so.

a midi keyboard is a helpful tool also..i usually go back in a record cymbal hits and occasional extra snare hits "live" ...tho you could also do this with a mouse...I find the midi keyboard easier to use for this.

Dean Salisbury

New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2007 8:30 am     Using different software

Well I use Adobe Audition, and I got ezdrummer installed in there, it works, I also have or use Acid Music Studio and I have ezdrummer installed in there as well. With that said and done. I have no clue how to do anything else. What I thought it would do or well hoped it would do was work doing mp3's. As I save most of my stuff to mp3's but have not been able to figure out how to even make a recording yet using ezdrummer. Guess I am missing a lot as I have really never been able to use any drum program yet! lololol

But at least I got it to work with the two sound programs I use. Just have to figure out how to work which I have really no clue!

Looks like a very good program if ya can make it work lolololo A friend of mine who is an artist got it and all the plug ins and he is more electronically smart then I and he couldn't make it work either. So now I'm tring to figure it out! Like I am a computer geek! I have no clue either but still trying

lolol

Dean from NY

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2007 8:52 am    

Dean:

I know nothing about Adobe Audition or Acid, but if they are multitrack recording software, you should be able to easily create a track in either by doing the something similar to the following:

1. Launch your recording software (Adobe or Acid)
2. Within your recording software, you should be able to launch EZdrummer, as it is a plug-in. That will bring up the EZdrummer window.
3. Open the "Grooves" section and pick a groove (drum loop) from the many, many grooves available.
4. Drag and drop your groove from the EZdrummer window onto an open track.
5. You should be able to now play the loop in your recording software as it occupies a track.
6. Stretch the groove so that it covers multiple measures in the timeline in your recording software.

You now have a very basic drum track covering multiple measures that you can play along with or record over by opening up a new track for your guitar or whatever.

After that, it's just a process of creating the mix in your recording software and saving it as an MP3 (assuming your recording software can save a project to MP3).

Hope this helps.