The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Upgrading a Protools System
Steve Benzian

Burlingame, CA USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2007 9:25 am    

I have an older Digi 001 hooked to a PC running Windows Millennium. The hark drive crashed. The PC is very old and under powered and probably not worth fixing. I was having some trouble with lack of system resources during recording. Also there was some latency with overdubs.

I'm thinking to get a new computer and maybe the M box. I would like to stay with Protools since I already know it and I have my old audio files that are in Protools.

Any advice? I would be willing to get a new PC or a Mac and make it a dedicated recording computer.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2007 11:49 am    

Hey Steve,

Check out the Digi website--they have a list of approved and tesed computers. I would go Mac if possible--you can run dual boot for any Windows app you need.

Maybe we can chat while I am out there this week, and thanks for the use of your ger!

John

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2007 5:17 am    

Steve, Make sure your old files will open in a newer version of Pro Tools. Digidesign has a extensive user's conference accessible from the Digi web site. I've posted tech questions and had them answered a matter of hours. Audio works better on a Mac. A friend of mine just got an M-box and it looks great.

Steve Benzian

Burlingame, CA USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2007 5:03 pm    

It seems that Digidesign is really not supporting the Digi 001 anymore......the last software that does support it is LE 6. Version 6 will run on an XP machine so theoretically I could run the Digi 001 on a new computer.

The replacement for the Digi 001 is the Digi 003. I decided to get the 003 rack and a new windows machine. A new computer with an Intel dual core processor, 2 gig of ram, and two 160 gig hard drives including a firewire connection (which is required for the Digi 003 )was about $750.

My old Protools sessions open on the new setup. I haven't recorded anything yet so. Hope everything will work. The Digi hardware and software are fussy about computer requirements but its pretty well documented on the Digidesign website.

I may try to get the Digi 001 running on one of my old computers running XP. I will have to get version 6 of Protools LE which is available($35) as a download.

Thanks John and Robert for the suggestions!