The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Connecting a CD Player to a Peavey Nashville 112 Amplifier
Donny Dennis

Atlanta, Texas
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2007 2:34 pm    

The manual for my Peavey Nashville 112 amplifier states that the Preamp Out/CD input jack on the back of the Nashville 112 can be used to connect the output of a CD player to the power amp for "play along" practicing. A shielded stereo cable should be used to connect to the CD input. A mono 1/4" jack is required for plug-in to the Preamp Out/CD input jack.

The CD player that I would like to use for this purpose is a little Durabrand Model CD-896, that only has a line out jack for home stereo connection and a headphones jack. Both the line out jack and headphones jack require a 1/8" input jack. Am not sure how to do this as I have never seen or heard of a stereo cable with a 1/4" jack at one end and a 1/8" jack at the opposite end.

Donny

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2007 4:21 pm    

There are cables and adapter plugs available. 1/8" to 1/4" adapaters come with many headsets.

Check Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc.

Donny Dennis

Atlanta, Texas
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2007 6:03 pm    

After posting the note I remembered that I have several adapter plugs including 1/8" so I connected a 1/8" adapter plug to the opposite end of the cable as shown below with a 1/4" plug. I then connected the 1/4" plug to the Preamp Out/CD input jack on the back of the Nashville 112, and the 1/8" plug to the line-out jack of the CD player. That didn't work so I then connected the 1/8" plug to the headphones jack of the CD player, and it still didn't work. The instructions in the Peavey Nashville 112 manual state that a shielded stereo cable should be used to connect the CD input.

Am not sure if the cable shown above is a shielded stereo cable or not. Can anyone determine just by looking at the picture above if it is a shielded stereo cable?

Thanks for your help.

Donny

Phil Halton

Holyoke, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2007 6:20 pm    

You have to use a stereo (TRS which stands for TipRingSleeve) type adapter, not a mono(TS TipSleeve) adapter.

I'll bet you have a mono eighth to quarter inch adapter on your cable. The shielding part isn't the problem, its the adapter type.

As I understand it, if the NV112 "sees" a mono plug in that jack, it outputs the preamp signal to the jack. If it "sees" a stereo plug, it expects to receives signal from the jack.

Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2007 7:02 pm    

What I do is,out of the headphone jack go to a small mixer with the stereo cord that separates into two cords. (left & right) Then go to your amp out of the mixer. You can plug your guitar into this mixer and play along. Larry

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2007 6:22 am    

It looks to me like you have a mono 1/4" plug and a stereo 1/8" plug.

Donny Dennis

Atlanta, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2007 3:57 pm    

Just a note to thank everyone for your help. Today I bought a shielded stereo cable with 1/4" jacks on both ends, and a stereo TRS 1/8" adapter for one end of the shielded stereo cable. It works great. Smile

Best regards.

May God bless you.

Donny

Brian Doyle

Guisborough, Cleveland, U.K.
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2007 4:50 am    

hello Donny can you post a second picture of the
one you ended up with thank you

Donny Dennis

Atlanta, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2007 4:49 pm    

Brian, below are photos of what I finally ended up with. The top photo shows the shielded stereo cable with 1/4" jacks on both ends. The middle photo shows the shielded stereo cable with 1/4" jack on one end and a stereo TRS 1/8" adapter for the other end of the shielded stereo cable, and the bottom photo shows the shielded stereo cable with a stereo TRS 1/8" adapter connected to the CD player. The shielded stereo cable with the stereo TRS 1/8" adapter is connected to the headphones jack of the CD player. Apologize for taking so long to post a response to your request but my internet service was down from October 7th until yesterday, and I didn't read your post until today.

Best regards,

Donny

Brian Doyle

Guisborough, Cleveland, U.K.
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2007 8:25 am    

Thank you Donny over the moon

Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2007 6:16 am     hi

If you have 2 inputs on the front of your amp you can use that and use the volume control on the cd player for proper volume, same plug is used. I do both all the time.

ernie

Donny Dennis

Atlanta, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2007 1:34 pm    

Ernie,

Thanks for your input. Will have to try that.

Donny