The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recording with XP machine, PCI breakout ,Firewire or USB?
Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2007 8:02 am    

I'm in the process of setting up the Windows XP computer in my practice space for recording. I'm considering using either the M-Audio Delta 1010 which is a PCI interface or the M-Audio Firewire 1814. I'll be using analog outboard gear for reverb, compression, gating and eq if that makes any difference.

Any feedback you could give regarding these specific models or for that matter interfacing with a PC in general for recording would be appreciated. I know there's a lot of experienced hands here. Although new to recording digitally, I have a basic knowledge of techniques.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2007 2:17 pm    

Hi Brian, either one of those interfaces will let you record very high quality audio. It depends on how many tracks you need to record at one time and how many features that you might need.

I own the 1814 and it's capable of recording 8 tracks at a time(analog)and 4 out (analog) 18 tracks in and 14 out Lots of I/O in a tiny package! Eight 1/4" inputs, 4 1/4" outputs. Two front-panel XLR/instrument combo inputs with preamps. Digital I/O includes 8 channels via optical ADAT and 2 more via S/PDIF. Up to 192 kHz resolution on 2 analog ins and 4 analog outs; 96 kHz resolution on all others. MIDI, coaxial S/PDIF, and word clock I/O on breakout cable. It also includes special versions (light) of Ableton Live and Propellerheads Reason for Mac/PC. It's compatible with Pro Tools M-Powered if you need it.

I don't own a 1010 but from what I've read and heard they are pretty equal in sonic quality except all 8 analog I/O are 24/96. It has 2 mic pres, S/PDIF, word clock, and MIDI, and all from a single PCI card with break out cables! They both (1814 and 1010)have that in common and I hate that! You would think they would included in's and outs on the 1814 for 499.00 and at least a break out box for the 1010 I mean how much could that cost? They are making a killing on the 1814. I almost didn't get the 1814 for that reason but I stopped and asked myself how often will I have to use the options on the breakout cables. So I very seldom even plug it in. At least I have that option the 1010 doesn't. It's also Compatible with Pro Tools M-Powered.

Now with that I might add that you will have to be careful with your analog gear and if you want to add it after the fact which is the best way to go. Make sure the recording software you purchase will accommodate inserting your analog effects in it's inserts and compensate for the delay of processing your effects. The only one I know for sure that will do that correctly is Sonar 7. Now I'm sure there are others but I can't speak for them maybe someone else will know. Many software recording apps will let you insert analog effects but I just don't know if they will compensate for the latency you might have to do it manually.

Then on the other hand if you want to use the effects while recording and record them to track then there's no reason to worry about it. But sooner or later you'll see why it's good not to print effect's to tape and heck you may already know this.

If you go with the 1814 I would suggest you invest in a good Microphone preamp.

Bob

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2007 10:39 pm     can you also use a pc as effectsrack?

Instead of using delays, comps etc, is it also possible to use good plugin's as an effectsrack? with pci cards maybe?
I'm looking for a converter for using on a PC with Cubase SX that gives me 2 or 4 analog inputs, and a lot of analog outputs (24 till 40) I like to mix analog behind my console, and not on a PC. Is the Motu 24 i/o something to consider or are there better solutions? And another PC loaded with plug-ins as effectsrack? Just wondering..
JJ

Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2007 6:49 am    

Thanks Bob,

I've been reading the manual for the 1814 firewire unit, (which is the way I think I'm going to go), and it looks like all the recently acquired analog effects for our live setup are probably not going to be practical. I'm assuming the common approach is software based effects, what I again assume are "plug-ins", or effects that support S/PDIF, which looks like can still suffer from latency issues. No I don't plan on using effects to disc on the basic tracks.

This stuff is complicated enough that a general overview is difficult here I know. I'm going to just jump in and figure it out. That's what I always do and eventually get to where I want to be.

So I'm going to go with the 1814 and keep you posted. I'm sure I'll have a specific question or two down the road. And again if anyone has any input let me know.

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2007 3:22 pm    

Hey Brian, I think you'll be happy with it. The learning curve is not to bad. One reason that a lot of folks don't use it is because M-audio has taken the stance of trying to tie it in with m-audios version of pro tools. So a lot of folks think it's for pro tools only. While I'm sure that it works great with pro tools it works equally as well with other recording apps.

Depending on which recording software you use they will come with various software plugins and you'll find that you won't miss your hardware effects to badly. Some hardware effects might be missed like very high quality Mic pre's and compressors, but there again I have Sonar and do not miss any of my hardware.

Good luck and let me know if I can help you I am not a guru with it because I use it in a very simplistic manner, but I probably can answer some questions. If I don't know the answer I can usually find the answer Smile

Bob

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2007 3:38 am    

Brian, I would also consider the M-Audio Delta 1010LT
They do the same, but cost 2/3 of the price. You can use for at the same time on PC , so you have 32 in 32 out!
On the same search, Johan