The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  JERRY BYRD................."Byrd's Nest"
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2007 6:53 pm    

For those of you that like JERRY BYRD's fabulous music, I just wanted to let you know the JERRY BYRD FAN CLUB has not been abandoned.
I had a difficult time finding a webMASTER to assist me with my dilema but I'm reasonably asssured that I have found a dedicated gentleman and that a work in progress is here/now.
From what I've seen of his work, he delivers a very fine work product and I'm most anxious to share the results with you. Don't have a date in time as yet but work is progressing.
Hopefully, we will once again be able to deliver to all of you that have enjoyed the site, that wonderful music that JERRY performed for us over the last decades. THANKS for YOUR PATIENCE........

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2007 7:07 pm     Jerry Byrd

Hi Ray, so glad to hear this and hope it all works out just the way your desire. Anxious to see the results. Jerry is surely missed.
Bill Stafford

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2007 7:52 pm    

Keep swingin' that hammer, Ray!

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2007 5:00 am    

Keep up the great work!

Thanks!

Terry Wood

Eddie Cunningham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2007 6:39 am     the "Byrds" Volu-Tone ???

Hi Ray !! Lots of luck getting the "Byrd" back in his nest !! And I hope that Volu-Tone is back home with you soon !! If you want I'll drive out to Calif. , pick up your amp and take it back to Mass. and try it out for a month or so then I'll drop it off back to you ??? Eddie "C" ( the old geezer )

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2007 6:50 am    

Sounds good Ray, Your doin a great job with it.

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 1 Oct 2007 2:15 pm    

VOLU-TONE ampis the greatest!

The wife and I drove down to SFO early Saturday AM to pick the completely refurbished Volu-Tone amp and returned Saturday evening. I didn't want any of the commercial shippers to have a chance to destroy this work of art.

Could have used you Eddie Cunningham, to share in the driving experience. Whew! That was worse punishment to my tired olde body than my 12- hour per day, truck driving tasks.

Anyway, I got the lil' amp back and is it a JEWEL! Some of us have talked about the "SOUND" of early days that Jerry Byrd was getting with his Volu-Tone.
What he used to get, is right here in this little amp. As each note is picked, you hear that little popping sound in synch with the desired note. It is a fabulous SOUND. No other like it.

The olde Rick six string and that early 1930's Volu-Tone amp are a perfect match. During the refurbishing, the speaker was declared original and in great shape. The FIELD COIL was completely rewound with #30 wire; something like 2.35 miles of it. The transformer was cleaned and reinstalled. All tubes checked out and some of the innards were replaced however the fellow that did this for me, replaced all parts with factory spec. items. Some wiring harness was replaced and a proper fuse was installed as well.

For that olde sound, you should just hear this amp!

Just had to share with someone.

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 1 Oct 2007 2:16 pm     SOMETHING OLDE, Somthing New..........

VOLU-TONE ampis the greatest!

The wife and I drove down to SFO early Saturday AM to pick the completely refurbished Volu-Tone amp and returned Saturday evening. I didn't want any of the commercial shippers to have a chance to destroy this work of art.

Could have used you Eddie Cunningham, to share in the driving experience. Whew! That was worse punishment to my tired olde body than my 12- hour per day, truck driving tasks.

Anyway, I got the lil' amp back and is it a JEWEL! Some of us have talked about the "SOUND" of early days that Jerry Byrd was getting with his Volu-Tone.
What he used to get, is right here in this little amp. As each note is picked, you hear that little popping sound in synch with the desired note. It is a fabulous SOUND. No other like it.

The olde Rick six string and that early 1930's Volu-Tone amp are a perfect match. During the refurbishing, the speaker was declared original and in great shape. The FIELD COIL was completely rewound with #30 wire; something like 2.35 miles of it. The transformer was cleaned and reinstalled. All tubes checked out and some of the innards were replaced however the fellow that did this for me, replaced all parts with factory spec. items. Some wiring harness was replaced and a proper fuse was installed as well.

For that olde sound, you should just hear this amp!

Just had to share with someone.

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2007 3:57 pm    

Too cool!

You've got the web site, so let's hear it!

Who did the work? Names, address, Email. and how much did it set you back?

Mine is so fried it'll cost a fortune, but now that I might of know somebody who has VT revival experience, I'll think of getting a job!

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 2 Oct 2007 5:14 pm     Volu-Tone amps...........what a sound.

Well Ron, my good, good friend.
Some of our friends here on the Forum were early supporters and did all possible to contribute meaningful suggestions and referrals in the hope of helping me get the VOLU-TONE up and running.
At first it was the FIELD COIL rewind that presented the biggest obstacle. Our great and wonderful friend...Rick Aiello contributed a 'respected' east coast rewinder. HOWEVER, this individual avoided returning my telephone and email inquiries. For a time, I was concerned that it was all over.
One Forumite provided a host of schematics in the hope they might help however, there were none of the Volu-Tone.
Another used to work on this type of aged equipment however things just didn't pull together.
With great intrepedation, I scanned the internet and came across one of the closest 'rewinders' I could find.
His name is Dan Healy at Classic Radio, located in Woodacre, Calif. He can be reached at (415)488-4596. His eMail is:
Healy@Classicradio.com
This man's WORD was 100%. He gave me the estimated costs, wrote me a contract, and told me to go away and be patient. The FIELD COIL rewind cost me $126,00 including postage and insurance.
The entire refurbishing of the amp cost me $500.00 and was completed on the date provided at the outset.
They are expert 'shippers'....but I chose to drive the round trip from Portland, OR., to San Francisco, remembering what happened to JERRY BYRD's guitars and amps.
I'm totally satisfied by the thoroughness and professionalism of Dan Healy. I think he truly enjoyed putting his personal touch on this olde, vintage amp.
He plays a fine guitar and has an established history of making repairs and refurbishing olde amps.
Give him a try.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2007 5:36 pm    

Hi Ray,
This picture is 15 years old, but is this the same Dan Healy?:
http://dozin.com/danhealy/house.htm

(Just curious because it's the same name from the same town in the same business).

Also, have you tried the Klempt Echolette with your new amp? (I don't know... did they have reverb on those amps?)

Glad you are enjoying that amp!
Pete B.

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 2 Oct 2007 6:04 pm     Many thanks to YOU.........Pete

Pete, that was most interesting reading.

You were certainly correct. That was none other than THE DAN HEALY. He kept mentioning that I "had no idea who he was". I certainly DID NOT!

I am impressed.........but it's only fair to say, that I sensed much more was here than just a guy who spent time repairing old car radios for collectors.

Thanks for sharing....'the rest of the story'.

To answer your question. This is an old early 1930's amp,as I understand it. There were no echo or affects accessories.
The SOUND is fabulous, at least in my book. I might try an echo unit with it but I want to get used to it, as is.

THANKS again.........

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2007 6:15 pm    

Mucho mahalo's Ray.

I knew it had to be a sizeable chunk of coinage to get your's up and running. It'll take much more for mine.

Yep, Healy has a solid rep.

Please do us the favor of letting us know when and where we can hear your fine playing thru that Ricky loving amp!

Don't forget to bring it along on your next island visit!