The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Excel at ISGC?
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 6:58 am    

Can anybody who was there tell me more about the new Excel change-lock mechanism that a friend was telling me about. Supposedly it's a S-12 that's able to switch between E9 and C6 and still use the same pedals and levers!!!

Is such a thing possible???

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 7:55 am    

Rick- come by and we'll talk- I have a drawing (somewhere) that was with the Excel 'splaining the system- pretty danged cool!

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 9:53 am    

So it's an E9/C6 Universal, not an E9/B6 Universal?

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 3:38 pm    

yup

Albert Svenddal

Minneapolis, MN
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 6:56 pm    

I happened to get a chance to have Bill Stafford explain it to me early on Sunday morning and it raises or lowers a total of seven strings with the levers to make the tuning a true C-6th. It is pretty amazing. I asked if the strings could take that much change and he said that they would, although i think the gauges would maybe be a little different. The mechanics of that guitar are way cool. Didn't get a chance to really test drive the tone, but Bill sure made it sound great. Bill is such a good player. Albert

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 8:35 pm     Why not a S12 with E9 and E6?

Sounds like an innovative new way. I'm glad that a builder is trying something like this. But why C6 instead of E6. A player can learn faster and relate E6 more with E9, the notes are mostley all similiar.

I know how to Take a S12 and tune it to E6, same as C6 only two whole tones highere,brighter, then with a lever, just change 3 strings and have EXACT E9. this way all the pedals work both tunings and the bar postitions are the same for both. In other words, G is 3rd fret on E9 and G is 3rd fret on E6. What could be simpler???...al

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2007 6:02 am    

I believe that it was done to accommodate folks that had a problem with thinking B6 instead of C6 wanting to simply have both standard tunings on one neck.

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2007 7:43 am    

Billy Cooper did a very similar thing a few years back with a GFI, it had a few componants that he designed himself to make it work, I think he was hoping GFI would build it but I don't think they saw a market for it. I think his reasoning was a lot of instructional materiel out there for C6, a good handful of steel instrumentals that are traditionally played on C6 with some open strings as well as a lot of players with a lot of time playing the back neck that wouldn't want to relearn stuff. I think Billy's was only a 10 string?
Anyhow it's interesting that someone else has decided to test the water.

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2007 9:28 am    

Jim...sorry I can't make it by the shop fer a little while....day job ya know Rolling Eyes

I guess the big question for me is whether or not the E9 side of this idea is a true Extended E9(with the D note) or not? Otherwise, I don't see a whole lot of reason not to just go with an E9/B6 universal.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2007 9:37 am    

Sorry- Rick- I don't remember- but Bill Stafford probably will.

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2007 10:04 am    

I wondered about that too. My E6 to E9 with the lever keeps the D on the 9th string with E on the 12th. No need for the low B. All the E9 knees work and usable also for E6. I'll set up a chart if anyone cares or are interested.....al.SmileSmile

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus

Peter Nylund

Finland
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2008 6:07 am     experimental tuning

Here is a way to keep the D-string
Rolling Eyes

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2021 4:29 pm     Re: experimental tuning

Peter Nylund wrote:
Here is a way to keep the D-string
Rolling Eyes

Peter- I am experimenting with your tuning on a S-12 MCI 3 up 3 down changer. I've installed all the changes with the exception of strings 1 and 2.

Pretty cool, for a D-10 player to have a convertible S-12 to use for the occasional C6th song they may have worked out.

I still need to add the changes for pedals 5, 6, and 7 of the C6th side to see how this changer can handle all of this added work load. Time will tell if this will work out on an older all-pull guitar, not designed for it, as the Excel was.

So far so good Smile

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2021 4:43 pm    

For those that do Instagram, the Excel page posted a short video showing the switch being done. Here’s a link

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfqE1g7A1xn/?igshid=1um4gywlcxny7

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2021 7:41 pm    

Greg Cutshaw has a web page and some post of the Excel S12 here on the forum. He has a lot of information on the guitar. Hope he joins in on this post.

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2021 2:12 pm    

That's my guitar in the video!!

Green Machine.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2021 7:23 pm    

Super cool Mike! I've never been a fan of green but of the Excels I have seen in a couple different shades of green, I must say they look very nice. The Metallic green is a nice color.

Im sure this feature is offered in both scales but I guess this kinda defeats the need for longer scale to compensate for those what would normally be really low B6 strings to add more tension. Can anyone weigh in on that.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2021 6:42 am    

No more boo wha ?.....

I like the longer scale for more “punch”, and also increased sustain, and better harmonics.... however,this change is right up Mitsuo’s alley....If anyone can pull this off, he can !!....Jim

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2021 9:21 am    

He offers this in both scales.

My 2008 E9/C6 is 25.5" scale, and my newer one (2018) is 24.125" scale.

I don't notice much of a difference.

Dan Ray

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2021 4:37 pm     E9 C6

Rick! I love your playing. Your ext E9 chops are irreplicable.

Here's a quick Instagram post about their switching system. An amazing piece of engineering

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfqE1g7A1xn/?igshid=1aw0557mxc18w

Make sure you swipe left on the video to see the second video, the undercarriage is bonkers.

Edit: didn't realize someone already posted this here, oops.

Last edited by Dan Ray on 20 Mar 2021 4:13 am; edited 1 time in total

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2021 5:35 pm    

Following...

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2021 8:19 am    

My Excel and the one shown in the video above offer a true full extended E9th tuning with the D string intact. It also offers a full C6 tuning with a top G string and two chromatic strings on top, one of those being the invaluable D string. It does all this in a super compact and light package with a super light case. The lock lever has the capability to raise or lower any and all of the 12 strings a considerable amount and it also swaps the function of (only) the two right knee levers.

If you look at the info on my web site you will be able to see how this is done and check out the size and weight of all things. Sustain is excellent and the tone is clear and warm at the same time.

Not much downside to this arrangement and guitar as it has full split tuning capability and I was able to add a bunch of knee levers and the Franklin change to it.

Note that the action of the lock lever moving the changer fingers to C6 for example, does alter the action of some of the E9th pedals. This can be observed in the copedant charts and is not a typo.

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Excel%2012%20String%20Keyless/Excel%2012%20String%20Keyless.html

Here's some tracks showing the Franklin pedal and some added low notes droning in on the extended E9th tuning:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Excel%20Franklin%20Pedal/2.mp3

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Excel%20Franklin%20Pedal/3.mp3

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Excel%20Franklin%20Pedal/4.mp3

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Excel%20Franklin%20Pedal/7.mp3

Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 20 Mar 2021 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2021 8:26 am    

Here's a link to a page showing the Franklin pedal and 3 C6 knee levers I added to the Excel. I also ordered and installed longer front legs and pedal rods to restore the guitar back to normal height. Not a lot of room to work with underneath and there are some things the guitar can't do. One them involves the inability to adjust knee lever travel in some cases and some limitations on knee lever mounting locations.

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Excel%20Franklin%20Pedal/Excel%20Franklin%20Pedal.html

Here's 3 tracks of the steel by itself and you can here how cool the C6 chromatic strings are in the 2nd track:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Excel%2012%20String%20Keyless/Not%20Crazy%20Yet%20Steel%20Part%201.mp3

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Excel%2012%20String%20Keyless/Not%20Crazy%20Yet%20Steel%20Part%202.mp3

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Excel%2012%20String%20Keyless/Not%20Crazy%20Yet%20Steel%20Part%203.mp3

I bought this guitar used for $4,200 and have put another $600 in it. Money well spent except for the lack of live playing gigs! There was a lot of Excel guitars on display at Dallas last year. Get you one!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2021 11:56 am    

Greg, just want to thank your for your methodical work and posting it here on the SGF. If there's anything to know about anything, you're a wonderful and reliable source, plus an outstanding player!

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2021 1:52 pm    

Greg, those tracks demoing the Franklin pedal really have great tone across the neck! What pickup, and what else is going on for that big, fat, rich tone?

Love it, and been considering an Excel for some time now, just mulling over how good its tone is and how tricky it might be to make copedent changes, I'm always experimenting on my extended E9, but am somewhat klutzy and easily aggravated by tight squeezes under the hood. Your thoughts?