The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dell E1405 with BIAB
Savell

Lakeland FL
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2007 12:38 pm    

Just bought a Dell notebook E1405 with XP Pro. I have installed BIAB and Pro Audio. The notebook came with SigmaTel. I need a sound card with the "what you hear" tech and a way to plug in my instruments and mics one at a time to make some tracks and put them on a CD. I also have a Line 6 POD 2.0 I can use if needed.

Where do I go from here? I know I should probably start by getting the right sound card. What card would you guys recommend? I am not familiar with anything at the moment. So all comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Savell

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2007 2:07 pm    

SoundBlaster has a couple of laptop sound "cards".
http://www.soundblaster.com/welcome.asp

You could also use a USB connected "sound card".

The SB Xfi is the current top of the line model, but the Audigy ZS isn't no slouch. Probably find them at www.newegg.com

Unfortunately Dell does not enable the streaming audio (what you hear or system mixer) in their integrated audio systems (both desktop and laptop) which currently are SigmaTel hardware (they have a SoundBlaster software add on enhancement but that doesn't do anything for the streaming audio issue) and with Vista they have an on-going issue that you cannot hear (monitor) the Line In audio - it's recording OK just that you can't hear it. Vista handles the line in monitoring differently than XP or older Operating Systems and Dell can't seem to "get it together" and get their software to work correctly with Vista (other vendors such as SoundBlaster work OK with Vista).

Savell

Lakeland FL
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2007 2:12 pm    

Jack,

If I use a USB sound card, does the original Sigmatel audio continue to work when I unplug it and take the notebook mobile?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2007 4:31 pm    

You may have to change the "default" sound device from the USB back to the Sigma Tel in the Control panel but that's probably all. You can only have one sound device as the "default" for any sound function.