The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobby Bowman
Larry Gurley

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2007 9:37 am    

Check out Bobby Bowman's Makin Believe at www.etsga.org-steelguitarplayers.htm---Beautiful Job

Colm Chomicky

Kansas, (Prairie Village)
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2007 9:47 am    

http://www.etsga.org/steelguitarplayers.htm
link works

Mark Edwards

Weatherford,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2007 10:05 am    

Larry, Colm thanx for sharing that one, BB is smoking it, his love of steel guitar shines through when he plays.

Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2007 3:45 pm    

Bobby is one of my most favorite people in the world. He is one heck of a guy and he plays SOOOOO!!!!! good. Loveya pal, Bobby

Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2007 4:53 am    

Bobby is truly one of a kind and his playing is unique too. I love my CD, and as soon as he starts playing you know who it is.

Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2007 8:22 am     Many thanks

Wow!,
What a nice surprise. Thanks so much for all the kind words. Hope y'all enjoy.
Take care and God bless,
BB

Dean Batye

California, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2007 9:33 am    

Hey Bobby,I want to get on board the bandwagon and say how much I ENJOY your playing to.I hope the rain has not flooded you all out down there in Texas.I am glad I bought the ( last cd you saved for me)Ha! Ha!hope to see you soon. Your Friend,
Dean Batye
Concord,Ca.

ray qualls

Baxter Springs, Kansas (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2007 10:25 am    

Larry, Colm thanks for posting Bobby's clip. Most people don't know that Bobby will do anything for a half gallon of Blue Bell ice cream. Laughing He's a master of the steel guitar! Ray
Steel Guitar Hall of Fame 2008

Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2007 10:27 am    

Yeh he does purty good after we got the boxing gloves off him. Laughing But in all seriousness there is not another individual, of which I'm aware, that is more dedicated to the instrument and to those who play same. A killer player, mechanic, but an all around good person. Luv' ya' brother.

phred

(I don't know what made me write all those things, gotta' go take my meds quick.)

Think about it!!

Jim Walker

Headland, AL
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2007 2:07 am    

Bobby is one of my all time heros... King of smooth. You oughta see him around the ladies!

Jimmy

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2007 11:33 am    

Soo smooooth.
... J-D.

Bobby Bowman

Post  Posted 31 Aug 2007 10:34 pm     Thanks again

Thanks again to all of you guys. You're too kind.
BB

Bobby Bowman

Post  Posted 1 Sep 2007 12:59 am     Information

Several of you fellows have either called or emailed me wanting to know my set up and what equipment was used during the session. It's been almost two years, but I think I can remember most all of it.
The guitar was "Bugger Red" which is a '71 Emmons D-10 push pull bright red mica with 6 FP's and 5 KL's that I completely rebuilt about 4 or 5 years ago. It was originally black mica, 8 & 4 (maybe 8 & 5) and had been in a fire and also was flooded at one time. It had been pretty well butchered by at least three of it's previous owners and was just about ready for the thrash can.
My E-9 set up was/is, B A instead of A B. B raising the G#'s 1/2 tone, A raising the B's 1 whole tone. I also have lowering compensators on both pedals for strings 1 and 7. LKL raises string 4 (E) 1 whole tone and lowers string 8 (E) 1/2 tone. V (up) raises strings 1, 2 and 7 1/2 tone. LKR raises strings 4 and 8 1/2 tone. RKL lowers string 2 (D#) 1 whole tone and lowers string 9 (D) 1/2 tone. RKR lowers strings 4 and 8 1/2 tone from E to D#.
I didn't use the C-6 neck at all on the session. It's set up is, P-3 lowers string 10 1 1/2 tone, lowers string 9 1/2 tone and raises string 7 1/2 tone. P-4 raises string 10 1 whole tone, raises string 9 1/2 tone and lowers string 5 1/2 tone. P-5 raises string 2 1/2 tone and lowers string 6 1/2 tone. P-6 raises strings 3 and 4 1 whole tone. RKL lowers string 3 1/2 tone and RKR raises strings 3 and 7 1/2 tone. I use a D note on the 1'st string.
The guitar had original Emmons single coil pick ups wound to 20 K.
I use George L stainless strings with an .012 for my 3'rd string G# on E-9 instead of an .011. I also use George L cables exclusively. (they were red too). I came out of the guitar into a Goodrich 7A Matchbox, then into my Korg AT 120 tuner. Out of the tuner into a Williams pot pedal (I usually use a Goodrich 120, but I had loaned it out to a buddy of mine while his was being fixed), out of the pedal into my Peavey Pro-Fex II and out of the Pro-Fex with two cords (stereo) straight into the board. On "Making Believe" I used the "Long Echo" program. I used that program on most of the ballads and the other tunes I used St. Louis 3. On "Honey B" I did not use any picks. I also used and old Dunlap chrome plated 7/8's bar, a red Hurco thumb pick and two old National finger picks on all other tunes.
The studio had deep pile carpet and I put 4 ash trays under my legs to keep the pedals from bottoming out. I also had a clip on ash tray on my left back leg and smoked about two cartons of Marlboro red 100's and about a case of bottled water. LOL!
That's about all I can remember except I do remember the blooming air conditioner kept going on and off and I had some tuning problems off and on.
BB

John Coffman

Wharton,Texas USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2007 4:45 am    

He's a hero of mine also. All my best to DoC Bowman. I stive to capture not copy his pure and simple approach to each song he plays. I have learned a lot from him in the short time I have been attend the SETSGA. I am honored to call him a friend. Hope to see you soon sir it is always a pleasure. God Bless and will see you soon Doc.

Tommy Alexander

Friendswood, Texas 77546
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2007 4:48 am     Bowman

Bobby, the one thing that you forgot!!! The hidden porta-potty under your pack-a-seat.

Bobby Bowman

Post  Posted 1 Sep 2007 10:44 am     Amps

I might add, that even though I went straight to the board out of the Pro-Fex II on this session, my next projects I plan on micking my two Peavey Nashville 112's to add just a bit more warmth to the high and mid tones. On regular gigs I always use two 112's and mic the amps into the mixer board using two Sennheiser 609 flat face silver mics.
BB

Brett Crisp

NC
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2007 11:10 am    

Excellent! Great tone!

Finis Spier

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2007 4:27 pm     bob

when Bobby was a little boy he did not have electricity so he made himself a kerosene guitar no pedals

Larry Gurley

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2007 8:10 am     BOBBY BOWMAN HEADED TO NASHVILLE

I see bobby's name on the list of pickers at the NTSGA Oct. 5th & 6th. Sounds like a GREAT SHOW !!!!

Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2007 9:42 pm    

I HAD THE PLEASURE OF MEETING MR.BOBBY BOWMAN AT THE REDNECK BLOW OUT IN CONROE TX AWHILE BACK THANKS TO MY DAUGHTER THAT LIVES THERE.THE WIFE AND I HAD A GREAT TIME AND I GOT TO HANG OUT A LITTLE WITH BOBBY.I REALLY ENJOYED HEARING SOME GREAT STEEL GUITAR THE WHOLE EVENING.AND YES, BOBBYS A REAL NICE GUY, AND FUNNY TOO.BOBBY IF YOU READ THIS THANKS FOR BEING SO NICE TO A STRANGER,AND THANK YOU AGAIN FOR THE CD.I HOPE TO SEE YOU AGAIN AT THE NEXT BLOW OUT BECAUSE I WILL BE THERE, ALL THE WAY FROM BAKERSFILD CA.
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2007 7:50 pm    

There ain't enough space here to list all the good things about Bobby Bowman. Jody.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2007 6:39 am    

Absolutely beautiful tone!