The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help! Steel recording session.
Jerry Mason

Reader, Wv
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2007 10:58 am    

What is the best set-up for recording steel? The last session we recorded, I had my amp miked but tried to listen to the mix through headphones while playing. Do most go back an add steel on separate track?

Question

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2007 8:59 pm    

I use a POD xt. It works great... right to the board.

I have also used a WEBB 614-E miked with three mikes. One on the speaker, one behind the amp, and one about three feet away from the front of the amp.

Good Luck!

Mike Fried

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2007 9:36 am    

Jerry, twenty players would give you at least that many answers as to what the "best" way is. I'd say that much of the answer depends on what resources are available to use, and what kind of project it is - recording as part of a rehearsed band vs. adding a steel part to someone else's project, for instance. The musical role of the steel can also be the deciding factor - is it part of the band's ensemble sound, or is it adding fills/solos and/or color on top of the band?

If you're recording rehearsed songs and you're used to lots of interaction with the other players, I'd say that recording together could work the best. Most of the time these days, though, the steel part(s) is overdubbed at some point after the basic tracks (including at least a "guide" vocal) are recorded.

As for the particulars of how to set up and what gear to use, etc., that depends on the recording facilities available, engineering expertise, the gear you have, and the budget available. Many players prefer to overdub in the control room listening to the monitors, rather than through headphones, for instance. Recording "direct" using a POD or similar amp modeler (or a hig-quality recording preamp) can work well if you're having trouble getting the sound you want with a mic'ed amp (or if you can't use an amp in your recording situation because of space, etc.).

Again, I don't think there's one "right" answer, but hopefully you'll get some insight here as to what will work best for you. Good luck!