The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BIAB ?
Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2007 5:58 pm    

I bought a new notebook computer and have installed BIAB 2007 on it with some of my songs that I play with.I have two questions. One, when I tried hooking the notebook to my amp just for pracitce, it creates a ground hum.I'm going out of the ear phone plug (mini plug) and a regular sheilded cable to the amp. I'll be using it with my pa system and assume it will be the same problem as with the amp. Is there a special cord I should use? They're both plugged into the same outlet.
Question two. After the song has ended and it has played the tag, the BIAB plays one last chord at the end. I've tried putting a chord in with a period after it, but it still does it. How can I stop that last irritating chord? Thanks in advance. Larry

Richard Tipple

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2007 6:31 pm     BB

Larry
Try ending the song one chord sooner & see what ya get.
Or simply go to Band in a Box,es web site,,they have on line help, just type the question & someone will help ya right then.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2007 8:07 pm    

I'm using BIAB 11, an older version, but here’s what I would do: Click on Edit / Additional Settings for this song, and Uncheck "Generate 2 bar ending for this song".

Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2007 5:36 am    

I may be mistaken but I think the ear plug out is a speaker out. Does your amp have a power amp in?

Earl Foote

Houston, Tx, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2007 5:47 am     LT to amp

Try a different cord. Does your cord have a tip/ring/sleeve (stereo) plug on the laptop end? Does it break out into two 1/4" phone plugs at the other end? If not it may be a mono cord instead of stereo. I run my Dell Inspiron LT into a PA and don't have a hum.

Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2007 6:25 am    

Hi guys, Thanks for the replies. I tried using a different cord before I posted and it didn't help. I tried going into a little mixer that I have that is four in and one out, and that didn't work either. I haven't tried going into my pa system yet, and maybe it will work there using two different channels. I do have a little four channel Barringer mixer and will try that into the amp just to see if that works.
Howard, My NV112 has a power amp in and I tried it and it still hums.
Earl, do you use two channels into your pa? I'm going to try that. Have you ever tried going into your amp?
Doug and Richard, thanks I think you both have the answer.
Thanks every body. Larry

Howard Tate

Post  Posted 20 Jul 2007 10:48 am    

Another thing to try is a ground lifter. Sometimes that will get rid of a hum.

Earl Foote

Houston, Tx, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2007 1:14 pm     Hmmmmm

Yes Larry, I use a shielded cord with a stereo 1/8" plug on one end that plugs into my laptop and on the other end it has 2 mono 1/4" phone plugs that each go to a seperate channle on the pa amp. I haven't tried running thru a guitar amp with it but I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes.

Will Holtz

San Francisco, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2007 1:26 pm    

Have you tried it with the laptop running off the battery (not plugged in the the wall power)?

Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2007 4:28 pm    

Will, I thought of that but haven't tried it yet. The notebook is new and I don't know how long the battery would be good for. (my first notebook, no experience with them) I only do hour long jobs at senior centers or nusing homes so it might be ok that way.
Howard, I'll try the ground lifter if I can find one at the electrical store.
One thing I did do guys is go into Windows and try to make it a mono signal coming out, but I didn't find any option of stereo verus mono.
Earl, I'm going out into my shop right now and set my pa up and try it. I'll let you know.
Thanks everybody. Larry

Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2007 3:18 pm    

I'm sorry to say that I've still got a hum in the pa system. I'll try the lifter next. Thanks everybody, Larry

Bill Findlay

Baytown, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2007 7:38 am     Lap HUM

I had the same problem with my Dell Notebook into my stereo unit. When on battery on the Dell it was OK..but when I had the power supply connected to the Dell I got a Power supply HUM....I used a ground lifter adapter on the Dell three prong power supply plug and I do not have the HUM....

Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2007 2:19 pm    

I guess I'm not familiar with the term ground lifter, and I went to an electrical store and an electronics store, thinking thay they would know. Nope. Buuut, if you guys mean the adapter we used to use when there wasn't a ground in the outlet, then you're right. I found that the adapter doen't give me a ground hum, of course I don't have a ground on the computer either but it's quite. ha ha Yes, the computer works fine on just the battery but it wouldn't last long enough. I played for a hour last week just on the battery and I was asked to do a job for a two hour class reunion at the country club and the battery would never last that long. I'll use the little adapter. Thanks everybody. Larry

Gary Lynch

Creston, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2007 5:41 am    

Have you asked this question on the pgmusic forum? Those guys over there know a lot. It's a quick register then go to BIAB Fourm. They are pros with BIAB. That's thier game.

http://www.pgmusic.com/techfaq14.htm

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2007 11:28 am    

I posted this same question on PG's forum and got some interesting answers. It seems to come back to the AC cord problem which stops when the battery only is used. Unfortunately in Canada ground lifts are illegal and difficult to get.

Howard Tate

Post  Posted 16 Aug 2007 10:41 am    

If you can't get a ground lifter you can get a short extension cord or power strip and cut the ground leg off. You could just cut the ground off your power cord but that's not a very good idea. You should only use the lifter when you get a ground loop hum, and be careful, in some cases you could get a shock.

Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2007 12:51 am    

Hi Guys, I thought I posted a thank you already, but see I haven't. Thank you very much for all of your help . After I figured out what a ground lifter was I went out to my shop and grabbed one. It works great, and I've played a couple of jobs with it. I'm only doing senior centers, etc. for an hour at a time. Thanks again. Larry

Howard Tate

Post  Posted 6 Sep 2007 5:39 am    

Glad it's working for you, Larry.