The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pleasant surprise with 'Cheep' Microphone!
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2007 10:15 pm    

Guys

Are the MXL and the Cad identical or is one a carbon copy looks wise but not in performance? They look exactly the same but I have no idea if the insides are?

thx

bob

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2007 7:08 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
Amazing deal for $80 if they work !

The only thing that broke down on my MXL2000 was the floating shock mount, the tension gave out on one of the stringy things.

I picked up the mic and the shockmount ( not the kit with the filter)

I need some tips:

How far should the singer be? (I'm used to "eating" SM 58's)?

How do you eliminate the "pop"? ( I should have bought the kit!) I could really hear the pop through headphones when making "puh" sounds.

thx

bob

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2007 8:41 am    

I forgot to add that I'm using a Behringer 602A and could use some advise on how to set the levels?

thx

bob

Bob Snelgrove wrote:
Tony Prior wrote:
Amazing deal for $80 if they work !

The only thing that broke down on my MXL2000 was the floating shock mount, the tension gave out on one of the stringy things.

I picked up the mic and the shockmount ( not the kit with the filter)

I need some tips:

How far should the singer be? (I'm used to "eating" SM 58's)?

How do you eliminate the "pop"? ( I should have bought the kit!) I could really hear the pop through headphones when making "puh" sounds.

thx

bob

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2007 4:20 pm    

Bob, for a microphone like that, you'll generally get best results with the mic about a foot from the singer's mouth, but you'll want to experiment. It's not like a stage dynamic mic where you need to be close. For the eliminating plosive sounds, you can get a "popper stopper" like this:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MUSASVS6GB

It's just a hoop with a mesh material like nylon stocking stretched around it. You could probably make something like it yourself.

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2007 6:05 am    

The bestt pop filters are the metal ones with holes punched through. The cloth ones have a number of negatives, and the metal ones are just about flawless for most studio purposes. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-Metal-Pop-Filter?sku=426600
They can be washed (if you've ever sung through an old one you'll know why that is important- old spit STINKS) and they don't rot.
You might also check out the Nady RSM4 ribbon mic. For acoustic instruments, vocals and low volume amplifier micing it is pretty nice and I got mine for well under $100.

Ken Williams

Arkansas
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2007 7:28 pm    

For a pop filter, get a wooden needle point hoop at Walmart. Cost, about $0.50. Paint it(optional). Take an old pair of your wife's hose, that she is going to throw away anyway(free). Cut a peice of hose that will fit the hoop. Attach it to a gooseneck or mic stand. Not sure how they compare to the store-bought version but functions pretty well for me.

Ken