The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A study of the steel guitar in western swing
Guy Cundell

More idle ramblings from South Australia
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2019 3:58 pm    

This is a cross-post for those who mainly frequent this page and may have missed it on other sections of this forum.

Below is a link to my dissertation entitled 'Across the South: the origins and development of the steel guitar in western swing'. Recently completed after 3 1/2 years work, it is an 80k word narrative that follows the leading edge of style development of the steel guitar in western swing.

The abstract reads: “In the early 1930s, the steel guitar, a Hawaiian invention of the late 19th century, was adopted by musicians in an emerging form of dance music known as western swing, a subgenre of country music. The design of the newly amplified instrument and the style of its players underwent continual change as the music of the genre evolved. However, in the 1950s, as the popularity of western swing declined, the steel guitar was supplanted by the pedal steel guitar and a new stylistic approach that it enabled. Through transcription and analysis the study offers new perspectives on what have been anecdotal observations surrounding the various stages in development of the steel guitar between 1935 and 1955.”

https://guycundell.academia.edu/research

If you can get over the academic framework and some of the terminology, you may find a story that you are already familiar with.

Ralph Czitrom

Ringwood, New Jersey
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2019 11:20 am    

Guy - Having read some of your well researched and written articles in the H.S.G.A. quarterly as well as in Pat and Basil Henriques’s publication, “Aloha Dream”, I’m looking forward to reading your completed dissertation. Congratulations!

Guy Cundell

Post  Posted 25 Oct 2019 1:01 pm    

Thanks, Ralph. It really was Basil who got me started when I sent him a transcription of his performance of Blue Hawaii. I was thrilled when he published it. That was when I discovered that my notation program, Sibelius, handled steel guitar tab very well and I could easily create tab for a twin neck required by Basil's performance.

Mike Anderson

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2019 4:54 am    

Thanks so much for sharing this, Guy! Obviously a labour of love with a lot of great insights we can all enjoy.

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2019 5:06 am    

Thanks Guy! Solid work.

Guy Cundell

Post  Posted 29 Oct 2019 10:29 pm    

Cheers, Bob and Mike. It's appreciated. I have no thoughts of a book at present, Bob. I have yours and that looks like another level.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2019 1:57 am    

This works represents a humbling amount of thought, research, insight and drive and is a landmark for our instrument. When I wrote my lap steel book in 2003, I was worried that a lot of the history and stories of the players would vanish if not documented. Thank you for contributing to their story being told in such a robust manner, Guy.

Last edited by Andy Volk on 31 Oct 2019 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2019 9:26 am    

Guy, would you allow me forwarding a link to your website and collection of research documents? Would like to share it with the NorthWest Western Swing Music Society (NWWSMS) and SteelResolve. org, both non-profits. Also belongs on the other 2 Western Swing society sites, one in Sacaramento, CA, and the other in TX/OK.
Thanks for your consideration, and keep up the great and important work!

All best,
John McClung
Pedal Steel Lessons, Casuals, Sessions
Olympia, WA 98512
Email & PayPal fees – steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Website – http://steelguitarlessons.com
Skype name: professortwang
Cell & text: 310-480-0717

Guy Cundell

Post  Posted 31 Oct 2019 1:41 pm    

Thanks, Andy. Your 2003 book remains as a vital source for those interested in our instrument.

John, please feel free to circulate a link to my work. However, bear in mind that the dissertation is not without error and that I will be posting a corrections sheet when I get around to it.