The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Information on the steel Santo Farina played Sleep Walk on
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2018 5:01 am    

Deke Dickerson wrote:
...And that, to the best of my knowledge, is the only contact Santo Farina has had with anybody connected to his musical legacy of Santo and Johnny for over a quarter of a century. More to come.."

And, so, did the "more" ever come? Full interview somewhere?

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2018 5:35 am    

Posted Thu May 03, 2007 3:33 pm
Jody Carver wrote:
Yes Santo is active and does gigs with his group in Italy. As for a re-union? That's a question am not able to reveal.

How was that possible with Santo being in Long Island all along?
Also in the"Deke Dickerson" interview there was absolutely no mention of Ann..and surely if Ann was Santo's wife there should have been some reference to her..

CLICK THIS to view and possibly buy——>

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2018 6:10 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Deke Dickerson wrote:
...And that, to the best of my knowledge, is the only contact Santo Farina has had with anybody connected to his musical legacy of Santo and Johnny for over a quarter of a century. More to come.."

And, so, did the "more" ever come? Full interview somewhere?

Yeah the full interview, from March 20th 2018, and Deke Dickerson said that Santo told him Johnny quit, to Santo's surprise, in 1976.

https://www.facebook.com/deke.dickerson/posts/10155186760671746

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2018 9:35 am    

If Johnny just quit suddenly in 1976, I can understand that, but in that case you would expect Santo to have continued on his own, and Johnny to have dropped out of show business, but, in fact, the opposite happened. Johnny continued to play and tour without Santo.
Maybe what Santo meant is that Johnny quit the partnership, not quit playing altogether.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2018 8:31 am    

Ken, Johnny Farina has said many things in interviews that are chronologically incorrect and also factually incorrect; So the fact that he said Anna was Santo's wife is not to be taken as a given. BUT It may go some-way towards explaining Johnny's departure from the music scene and also his obviously strained relationship (If one now exists) with his brother.

Santo in the recent interview, when asked about Johnny, said
Quote:
since their 1976 break up? He’s only seen him briefly once or twice, out in public, and they didn’t speak.

That says enough doesn't it !

I wonder why Jody Carver never gave us the info about Santo still being in the USA ?

Steelies do it without fretting

CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buy——>

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2018 8:56 am    

Well actually, Johnny not only stated that Anne was/is Santo's wife, but he also said that they (S&J) don't have a sister.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2018 9:18 am     Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

I guess we all have it, to a certain degree here as a Forum family.. mostly as GAS. But obsession with 2 old men who now probably have early onset of dementia full-blast, disturbing them relentlessly makes no sense to me. Just take the legacy for the simplest parts and enjoy it for what it is.
Maybe Baz could give Deke a brand new bar to present to Santo as incentive to meet again at Mickey D's..compelling him to "spill your guts", once and for all? Would that sweep away the faded memory and cobwebs of time? Doubt it.
These elderly brothers are not as forthcoming as Jerry Byrd was.. let's let well enough alone, for pity sake. IMHO

Gary Pogoda

Atlantic City, NJ
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2019 6:52 pm    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Thanks Ken! No offence meant to Johnny, I'm sure he's a very nice man, but he doesn't have the touch and tone that Santo had.

Doug, though I welcome friendly criticism, I have to be crazy for posting this Sleep Walk video here.

https://youtu.be/-Qt0Dzw66mA

The song was recorded on a Pedal Steel Keytar, a Casio MIDI keyboard transformed to emulate a pedal steel guitar. I say ‘pedal’ steel because I embellished the song with a pedal-only maneuver, which I am sure you will recognize.