The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Country Music Ain't Country without a Steel Guitar.Not True
LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2015 7:44 am    

Country Music is the power word of Music and you can Dance to it as long as you have that 8 driving beat going with the kick Bass Drum pushing with the Bass Guitar lines. To days Rock N roll is called Country Music. Traditional Country Music means your music is to old. But, when I did the song " The House Of The Rising Sun " that new song that was done on the Grand Ole Opry from Nashville at the Whiskey Barrel Saloon in Hesperia,California Sunday, I could hear them folks say wow he's up on to days music. So,with that, I understand why you don't need a Steel Guitar in the Band. Not True,and they don't care. Winking Uncle Leo J Eiffert Jr & the PIGEONS - facebook.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2015 8:21 am    

The song was made famous by the Animals, who heard it on Bob Dylan's debut album. I think Bob Dylan's version was released in '62 and theirs three years later. Dylan had an descending bass line based on an a-minor chord (capo first fret) , whereas Hilton Valentine played it how many of us copied it. There's a tab in Scotty's "Steel Guitar Method" where he suscribed it for steel and it's very useful for learning. But I still like it best how Dylan did it with only his voice and an acoustic.

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2015 11:16 am    

Joachim, there is quite a list of artists that have recorded "The House of the Rising Sun". Going back to the version widely regarded as the first, some of them are:
Clarence 'Tom' Ashley & Gwen Foster - 1934; Roy Acuff - 1941; Josh White - 1950; Lead Belly -1944 and 1948; Glenn Yarbrough -1957; Pete Seeger - 1958; Frankie Laine - 1959; Andy Griffith - 1959; Joan Baez -1960; Miriam Makeba - 1960; Bob Dylan - 1961; Nina Simone - 1962; The Animals 1964; Frijid Pink - 1969. And probably more lesser known recordings. Too bad the song is public domain. Someone could have earned some nice 'mailbox money' from the royalties. Winking

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2015 12:07 pm    

ok Smile

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2015 12:50 pm    

Actually, it was Dave Van Ronk who created the arrangement of House of the Rising Sun that Dylan used. Dave was not pleased when Bob recorded it before he could. Van Ronk tells all in his memoir Mayor of MacDougal Street. Very good book, well written, lots of photos, highly recommended.

In an unrelated story towards the end of the book, we learn that the House Of The Rising Sun was probably not a house of ill-repute, as is usually assumed, but rather was the Women's House of Detention (or Correction), that is, the New Orleans Women's Prison.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2015 9:03 am    

Mr.Roy Acuff made it a great ole Country song in 1941 and what did he do with the " Lion Sleeps tonight " from New Orleans ? Winking

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2015 7:39 am    

The power of the Steel Guitar is coming back strong in to days Country Music on Radio Stations and yes it is still in it's Rock n roll form of not Traditional Country Music,but,it's in there. Steel Guitar Alive with the Musician playing it. Winking

Wayne Carver

Martinez, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2015 4:18 pm    

Frijid Pink's version of Rising Sun was my favorite especially in the early seventies.
I went to see John Fogerty last night. Even a few of CCR's songs sounded country such as "Lookin' Out My Back Door. I was always a fan of his "Blue Ridge Rangers" two albums. I think there is some Steel Guitar on those two albums.
"I Put a Spell On You" by CCR is my favorite version of that song. CCR did a good job of playing a variety of different styles. Mostly just good old rock & roll but also blues, psychedelic music, swamp music, and country rock.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2015 6:03 am    

John Fogerty and his CCR band was more Country/Cajun than Rock N Roll in them early days. Most of them CCR Guitar licks they played on their records came from my dear long time friend Mr.Al Bruno. It's amazing how many musicians learned how to play by coming by the gone Palomino Club in North Hollywood,California and just sit around and listen to what was being played by Jay Dee Maness,Archie Francis,Al Bruno ,Tony Booth & his brother Larry,Bobby Lee and so many others in many after Hours jam sessions from Bakersfield to San Diego.I (Leo J Eiffert Jr) for one did learn from many these great Musicians here in Southern California just like the one who took it back to Nashville and called it their own. Musicians Magazine should do a article about this History. Help us out " Steven Tyler ", your a Country Artist now here in 2015! Uncle Leo J Eiffert Jr A life time member of The Academy Of Country Music that is not really Country anymore. It's just what you think it is! Winking

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 May 2015 12:29 am    

I think the translation has been lost. The statement implies that if you have a Country Band and are booking out as a Country Band playing Country Music...Jones, Haggard, Jackson etc...without a Steel you are a fake Country band.

CCR was ( is ) a pop Rock band not a Country Band. Merle and George were singing Country Music on Country radio, CCR was on the top 10 countdown Rock and Roll...singing R+R...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2015 6:32 am    

Tony Prior,The word you used " fake " is not what's on top of this topic in it's title head line. What is " fake " is Musicians trying to play something they can't that is out of their league. The word I am playing on is called " TRADITIONAL " Country Music. Every style of music at one time or another has a mix from the beginning of all kinds of Musicians playing on records or just live. The true History of Music is so out of balance these days because of off the wall who don't care about the art,it's the MONEY that counts. If you and everybody on this forum and let alone the out side world don't get what I refer to,than it s sad day for Musicians. When you live it all your life and paid the price to be just what God gave you,Than it's called respect to your self and then you can give it to others. " Fake "!,No just honest about how cheap folks can be if they don't get their way out of you. Opinions are healty. God Bless us all. Uncle Leo J Eiffert Jr & the Pigeons - facebook.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 May 2015 3:17 am    

Together Again with a keyboard instead of a Steel...it's fake I tell ya! Smile

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2015 8:43 am    

Well,Sorry to say Tony Prior,but, a keyboard was on Buck Owens Record of " Together Again ". It was called a PIANO. Maybe Tom's Steel Guitar took the lead,but,a keyboard took the notes and put them in place. Idea

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2015 11:36 am    

If it ain't got steel, it AIN'T country. Period. End discussion.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2015 12:16 pm    

Rich, You got it like your last name Upright.You are responsive in anticipate End discussion period. Regulated Steel Guitar satisfaction. Arrow

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2015 9:19 pm    

LJ Eiffert wrote:
It's amazing how many musicians learned how to play by coming by the gone Palomino Club in North Hollywood,California and just sit around and listen to what was being played by Jay Dee Maness,Archie Francis,Al Bruno ,Tony Booth & his brother Larry,Bobby Lee and so many others in many after Hours jam sessions from Bakersfield to San Diego.

Lest anyone think I'm from Los Angeles (horrors!), I need to set the record straight. I've spent very little time in southern California, and I never set foot in the Palomino Club. I don't know where Leo gets his ideas, but in this case he's totally wrong.

I've learned a few things from watching Jay Dee at steel guitar jams and shows. I'm not familiar with the other Palomino Club stars he named.

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2015 8:16 am    

Bobby Lee was a Bass Player who worked a lot with Dale Noe, both in So Cal and Feenix.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2015 9:32 am    

Rich Upright wrote:

I love steel guitar. But tons of great country music has been made without it. It is not a necessary condition for being great country music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PY2yW9Biyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbQqMcVKrU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHbGhEfnh2E

I could go on all day. Guitar and other instruments can cover a lot of ground in lots of country music. And these and other great old country tunes that were originally made without any audible steel at all also sound great with steel. And of course, there are some songs that just cry out for steel. But it all comes down to personal taste, and we will never get agreement on that.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2015 9:59 am    

Bobby Lee , Leo's idea is it another " Bobby Lee " who played Piano & would Steel Around a little. Remember their are many folks out they with your name too! That's what makes other folks get off track and off the topic. That's why it's so hard to tell the truth about who you are talking about here or anywhere else,And many who are on here know who it is,but,those who are new on this forum or any other,they don't know the real History of us old Southern California Country Musicians that move every where else and Nashville.Just trying Educate this to the right names,places & things that happen in the our History in the 60's,70's,80's & 90's and after that I could care less about the History Of what they call Country Music with out the word Traditional today here in 2015. Winking

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2015 10:23 am    

b0b, you could get free beer at the Lee Family Reunion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYZjWzpX1cQ

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2015 8:23 am    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
Rich Upright wrote:

I love steel guitar. But tons of great country music has been made without it. It is not a necessary condition for being great country music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PY2yW9Biyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbQqMcVKrU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHbGhEfnh2E

I could go on all day. Guitar and other instruments can cover a lot of ground in lots of country music. And these and other great old country tunes that were originally made without any audible steel at all also sound great with steel. And of course, there are some songs that just cry out for steel. But it all comes down to personal taste, and we will never get agreement on that.

Not saying it ain't good music without steel, it just ain't country. Now, guys like Merle can get away without steel occasionally, mainly because they have established themselves as country legends. But, I never considered guys like Willie or Johnny really that country, because of the almost total lack of steel in their songs. Yea; it's good music, but put in a steel guitar & it becomes BETTER music. And...a LOT more country!

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2015 12:19 pm    

Oh! By the way. I forgot to add that" Bobby Lee " Played Piano for Tom T.Hall my years. RIP >Bobby Lee, my dear friend. Winking

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2015 12:54 pm    

Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. Wink

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2015 1:23 pm    

WOW! Bobby Lee, you are a example of History has worked in somebody using your name. Laughing I'm proud of you for who you are, my friend. Winking

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2015 12:48 pm    

Guitars, Cadillacs has no steel on it and it seems just fine to me.