The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New CD by West Coast Legend.......AL BRUNO
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2007 6:56 am    

Ray, here's another shot of Al and I playing together in Las Vegas a month or so ago at a good old honky tonk..........JH in Va.

PS....for any of you just seeing this topic for the first time, your CD's waiting for you....

Gary C. Dygert

Frankfort, NY, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2007 8:09 am    

Ray, about that guy with the funky hat--I think I've seen him before. Laughing

In case anybody cares, here are the words to the French Song, by Larry Vincent & Harry Pease. Jimmy C. Newman, among others, recorded it.

QUAND LE SOLEIL DIT BONJOUR AUX MONTAGNES (Larry Vincent/Harry Pease)

Quand le soleil dit bonjour aux montagnes
Et que la nuit rencontre le jour
Je suis seul avec mes rêves sur la montagne
Une voix me rappelle toujours

L'écho que m'apporte la chanson du vent
Me rappelle un souvenir de toi
Quand le soleil dit bonjour aux montagnes
Je suis seul et ne veux penser qu'à toi

When the sun says good day to the mountains
And the night says hello to the dawn
I'm alone with my dreams on the hilltop
I can still hear his(her) voice though (s)he's gone

I hear from my door the love songs through the wind
It brings back sweet memories of you
When the sun says good day to the mountains
I can still hear his(her) voice though (s)he's gone

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2007 9:38 pm    

O.K. Jerry,how many licks did you and Jimmy Lester steel from Al,because, I know we all needed them to keep a gig. Leo J.Eiffert,Jr. & Pigeons P.S. Great CD of Al,but,I know he's got more in the can from over the years he's recorded.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2007 10:07 am    

Leo, absolutely "all" of the guitar licks that Jimmy and I (and you) play (and still play) were stolen from Al. I supported my family and put my kids through school playing things I learned from him.....JH in Va.

Andy Greatrix

Edmonton Alberta
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2007 10:27 am    

The last line of the English verse in the French Song should be
"I'm alone thinking only of you"
Being from Northern Ontario, I must have soung that song at least a million times. 8>)

ROBERT LEE CRIGGER

JOHNSON CITY, TENNESSEE
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2011 12:16 am    

Jerry Hayes wrote:
Thanks y'all for the kudos on Al's CD. I wish some of you guys could have known him and heard him play in the sixties & seventies. He was a monster player then and even greater now. At the old Imperial Inn afterhours show & jam in SoCal, Al was the staff guitarist every Friday & Saturday for years. Any night you'd go in there around 3:00 AM you'd find about half of the lead guitar players in LA trying to see if they could get the latest Bruno lick. You'd also find road guitarists who happened to be in town watching Al. That's where I met Jerry Reid who was playing with Mel Tillis at the time and a bunch of others. A good friend of mine (Jimmy Lester) who was a fine player used to go there with me a lot and we'd both watch Al and then compare notes to see if one of us missed something the other didn't. A lot of times it was "Hell, I ain't even gonna try that!" Al was/is one player who can burn up the neck in a live performance and then go to the studio and do some of the most tasteful fills and solos you've ever heard!.... JH in Va.
JERRY--You are absolutely correct...I was the piano player at the Imperial Inn Jam Session for four years and I learned more from Al that anyone else I every worked with! When I first started (I took Clyde Griffins place when he moved back to Georgia) it was AL, me, Archie Francis on drums, and Dale Bennett on bass. Dale went with Henson Cargile (spelling?) and the Tony or Larry Booth started playing bass. (They would swap off every other week for awhile) It was the most enjoyable time of my "music life"--ROBERT LEE CRIGGER--

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2011 5:13 pm    

Hey Bobby Lee..... good to see you on the Forum again! Those old days were the best times of my life too!......JH in Va.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2011 7:37 pm    

Bobby & Jerry,the loyal days of pickin with the best and hottest Musicians in town was great and the education we got from them at all no charge.But,the greatist thing of all is the friendship they gave us and made us a big part of their family. After all these years we still have them. I am very proud to have all of you as my friend (brother) in this music world. Thanks for all the great pickin you gave me with you brothers. My book. I've been holding out on putting out is all about the neighborhood of who helped build the Academy of Country Music til it became big business as of today 2011. My Book title is " Who Used Who,My Memories ". It's done and I'm just waiting for the right time to put it out on the market. Winking Leo J.Eiffert,Jr.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2015 5:37 am    

Time to bring this thread back up again.

Its so great the read the history of Al Bruno whom I really knew nothing about, wow! Looks like I missed out on a lot.

Does anyone know if his Bear Country CD is still available? I'd love to purchase a copy.

Thanks Jerry for the memories, wish I was old enough to experience what you guys did, I was still diapers during that great time period.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2015 9:30 am    

Craig Stock,Thanks for bring up this History of our Brother/Musician that was one of the greatest Guitarist in the World, Mr.Al Bruno. Once again, I just wish the Nashville Young Clan would get their BS out of their ass and look at the right side of Artist Musicians who have impact this Country Music world before them like myself. Respect is putting things in the right order.This Steel Guitar forum is more than just about the steel Guitar and it's players. It's about how the Steel Guitar musicians incorporated with others in our Traditional Country Music and other styles. Sincerely, Uncle: Leo J Eiffert Jr. Crying or Very sad

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2015 6:22 am    

Hey Craig, I went to the website (brunobearmusic.com) and it's still up but they still have his mailing address listed at his Las Vegas home and he's been in Florida for awhile now.. It says they take Pay Pal. I'll check with his wife in a week or two but I'd rather not bother her for awhile...JH in Va.

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2015 6:48 am    

Is it on iTunes?

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2015 7:15 am    

You can download it here:
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brunoal
I called Bear Family for a CD. It's no longer available there.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2015 4:52 pm    

Thanks Jerry,

I'll wait, I'd rather buy it directly so she can get the cash. Please post as soon as you find out.

Craig