The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Safety of Steel on Air Flights
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2005 9:46 pm    

This is a similar topic to shipping a steel guitar after purchase or sell.

THIS QUESTION IS ABOUT PROTECTING A STEEL GUITAR WHEN YOU ARE TRAVELING WITH IT BY AIR FLIGHT.

WHAT ARE THE BEST WAYS TO PROTECT THE STEEL IF YOU CANNOT CARRY IT INTO THE PASSENGER SECTION TO PUT IN A BIN AND IT HAS TO GO WITH THE OTHER LUGGAGE INTO THE BELLY OF THE PLANE?

I have traveled alot, and usually take a small frypan and carry it on without difficulty into the passenger's section and put it in a bin.

On an upcoming trip, I want to take a larger double neck - with case measuring 4"x14"x33"

SOME TIPS PLEASE!!!!

[This message was edited by Don Kona Woods on 08 April 2005 at 11:13 PM.]

[This message was edited by Don Kona Woods on 08 April 2005 at 11:15 PM.]

Ron Brennan

Orlando, Florida, USA; Formerly, Edison, NJ
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2005 10:36 am    

Hi Don,

I've been in the Airline business for nearly 40 years (ruined my steel guitar career, jus kidding) and there is no one tip that covers it all. It varies from carrier to carrier. But I'll try to give you some experienced advice.

1. Always check in early. This will allow you time to discuss the matter with the employees at the counter just what your options are.

2. Try to carry it on. In many cases, your double neck should fit most overhead bins. Very important, ask if you can check it at the gate if you are not allowed to bring it on board. Further, request to have it returned at the arrival destination gate. You are trying to limit the bag belt system and additional handling on baggage carts etc. This is where most things can get damaged. The case may be scrached or get abrasions, that's what it's for, to protect the instrument when traveling.

3. If they allow you to bring it on or check it at the gate, you will have to take it through security, so no sharp objects puleeeeez. Put that bad stuff in your checked baggage. You may be limited to one carry-on, so this may be it!! Limit anything else you want to carry-on. Stay cool!!

4. Explain and show them that it is a fragile instrument. ASK them to help you!!!
If your early, are nice and sincere, most of the agents will try to help you. If need be, ask for a supervisor. Dont get mad!

5. Know that if the Flight is full, you may have to check it, soooo make sure you bubble or towel wrap the guitar inside the case in advance. Detune it somewhat to take tension off the necks.

6. You can call the carrier in advance and ask them what their specific policy is with regard to fragile items and how can they and you help....Again, there are so many different policies, Soooo, BE EARLY, BE EARLY, BE EARLY.

7. Call Bobbe Seymour, see if he'll fly you on his plane. He does everything else!!

Don, I hope this help you and anyone else thinking about it. Happy Flying!! TX
rgds,
Ron

------------------
JCFSC member since 2005 "Be of Good Cheer"
"55" Stringmaster D8,"59" Stringmaster D6
"67" Telecaster,
"60"Fender Concert Amp 4-10's

[This message was edited by Ron Brennan on 09 April 2005 at 11:40 AM.]

[This message was edited by Ron Brennan on 09 April 2005 at 11:49 AM.]

[This message was edited by Ron Brennan on 09 April 2005 at 11:50 AM.]

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2005 5:16 pm    

Ron:
Thanks much. Those are very thoughtful recommendations.

I am assuming that you mean picking the case up as you leave the airplane, just outside the airplane rather than at the baggage claim area. Is this correct?

My guitar is so tight in the case already, getting anything around it would be a problem.

I am going to try to get this resolved before flight day, so that I do not have to do any extraordinary things. I prefer to carry it on the airplane.

You said, “Call Bobbe Seymour, see if he'll fly you on his plane. He does everything else !!!"

AHH HUMM - Let’s see if he is interested in transporting me to HAWAII, CAUSE THERE IS WHERE I AM HEADED on April 22, steel guitars and all.

I am toying with the idea of putting the guitar case with my guitar into my golf travel bag, which I usually use, for golf clubs. This way I can wrap the guitar case with more protection. But on the other hand they do not handle these with care either. What do you think?

Any other ideas out there are always welcome if they are free.

Aloha,
Don

Ron Brennan

Post  Posted 9 Apr 2005 7:09 pm    

Don,

Glad to ease your concerns...

You are correct, pick up the case at planeside rather than the baggage claim area. Your objectice is to handle your Steel as much as you can. Eliminate the Belt system, baggage carts and claim area as much as you can.

Using your Golf Travel Bag and bubble wrap inside won't hurt if all else fails.

If Bobbe Seymour has an over water equipped plane, Flight Attendant, Mae West preservers and a properly equipped (spirits) raft, I wouldn't worry. He'd try anything.....what's not too like about Hawaii???

You and the Steel Guitar have fun out there..HoLa, Hola, Hola!!

Aloha,

Ron

------------------
"67" Telecaster,

[This message was edited by Ron Brennan on 09 April 2005 at 08:11 PM.]

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2005 6:46 am    

Don, you might have luck bringing a case that size on board, but if the flight's crowded, or... I'd definitely go for the gate check/pickup. One thing I do with cases I'll fly with, if they just have the little corner protectors, I get some angle aluminum from the hardware store and make edge protectors, glued and screwed on, with the ends polished to fit up onto the corners. Kind of a poor man's flight case. After Delta trashed a Mullen PSG case I put it back together with aluminum edges and it made it all over the world safely. Best of luck!

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com

Ron Brennan

Post  Posted 10 Apr 2005 8:26 am    

Don,

Mark's got a good idea there.....Are you taking a PSG or a non-pedal??? How much does it weigh?? If a D6/8, I agree with Mark, it should fit in the overhead bin...sometimes the Senior Flight Attendant can make room in a limited space closet....anywayyy.........let us know how you made out when you get back.....that is if you decide to leave Hawaii and come back. TX

Aaaaaaloooohaaaa

Ron

------------------
"67" Telecaster,

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2005 4:55 pm    

Ron and Mark - Many thanks for helping me think through this situation.

Ron – The case measures - 4"x14"x33" and weighs 37 lbs with guitar in it.

It is a D-8 Magnatone (Lyric – non-pedal) with original case. The case is a hard case, which weighs almost 20 lbs.

Mark - The case already has metal corners, so that takes care of the problem that you were addressing. But it is an older case and subject to all the concerns that an older case brings.

It looks like bringing it to the gate works well whether or not you can put it in the bin, if I am hearing you both right. I am sure that it will fit in the bin, but the case is slightly more than they normally allow by their specifications. I have carried my S-8 Excel Frypan on many times, it is over the specifications but looks a lot smaller, less bulkly.

Again, any comments welcome.

seldomfed

Colorado
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2005 8:04 am    

Hi Don,
Your case dimensions seem a little big for the overhead bin. Last time I went via air I put a Stringmaster in an SKB case and checked it thru - worked ok. I just cut the foam inside to fit the guitar. Perhaps a little overkill - but my orignal case is trash. Perhaps you could get one as a case for your case?

I got one of these kind http://www.skbcases.com/industrial/product/lp/lp1-low.html with wheels

OR perhaps get a case cover made - too late for 4-22, but in the future perhaps. Get a padded bag to cover the case from http://www.coloradocasecompany.com/

I ordered one for my bakelite - but it won't be done this month.

chris

------------------
Chris Kennison
Ft. Collins, Colorado
"Listen Sooner"
www.book-em-danno.com
www.seldomfed.com

Ron Brennan

Post  Posted 12 Apr 2005 11:39 am    

Chris,

Some great ideas there.

Take heed if you are traveling this summer or travel often by plane, train, bus or by car. This is especially true if you have a vintage Steel & Case. The padded, heavy canvas bag, fitted for the Case & Steel, is a great lightweight & less expensive way to go...Orrrrr,

Besides Bobbe Seymour, who else has a plane???

I got some big one's I work for!!!

Don, this is a great and practical post you put up....TX
rgds,
Ron

------------------
"67" Telecaster,

[This message was edited by Ron Brennan on 12 April 2005 at 12:41 PM.]

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2005 3:57 pm    

RON OR MARK, I HOPE YOU ARE TUNED IN.

I went to the air terminal in Portland, Oregon, where I will be flying out next Thursday morning to check out all of the ins and outs of what we have discussed.

RON you said, “check the steel at the gate if you are not allowed to bring it on board...You are trying to limit the bag belt system and additional handling on baggage carts etc. This is where most things can get damaged.”

After hearing the flight-agent supervisor at Northwest, I began to believe the conveyor belt at check-in was safer than leaving it at the gate. He told me that when you leave it at the gate, because you cannot carry it on, it is sent it down a chute below, which seemed to me after his description to have greater risks.

However he states that when a flight is not full, they will normally accommodate requests like mine. Since the flight going over is not full, they most likely would let me carry it on. However, he said that the flight back would be a different matter. Therein lies the problem.

There are so many unknowns to this situation.

Based on everything that I have heard to this point, I think my instrument is safer with padding around the guitar case and put into a heavy canvas travel golf bag and checked. Of course it will ride on the conveyor belt.

How does that sound to you?

Thanking you again for all your help.

Don

Ron Brennan

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2005 12:25 pm    

Don,

All air terminal Jetway's are not standard. Some have chutes or bag elevators. I have both. All Jetway's are required to have a metal side service staircase for emergency evacuation. It's primarily used for service workers or for ramp employee's to take down a fragile item down to ramp side for loading.

That said,

A. Good for you in checking this out.
B. You won't get it into the cabin unless you bring it down to the Gate.
C. I know about the jetway chute system and I know about the baggage belt processors (some have built in chutes, as well)/carts/massive bags loads and handlers of same.

So you ask, what would I do???

I still would rather take my fragile guitar to the Gate, explain the situation and request the guitar be walked down, so as to eliminate the main the unknown baggage process.

Don, as you know, there are no guarantee’s, we are doing possibility percentages here.

So, your last paragraph is also on point:

"Based on everything that I have heard to this point, I think my instrument is safer with padding around the guitar case and put into a heavy canvas travel golf bag and checked."

If you were going to travel more, I would have a fitted padded heavy canvas bag made.
This would allow you both options, Gate and main baggage system.

If not, then the checked golf bag, main baggage system method is the way to go. Make sure you de-tune your steel.... That helps take the stress tension off the neck during travel...

BTW...some airports (Maui) in the Haiwian Island's do not have Jetways.

Let's us know how you make out...My best airline wishes to you....Sorry, I hear Bobbe Seymour Airway's is all booked up.... TX

rgds,

Ron

------------------
"67" Telecaster,

[This message was edited by Ron Brennan on 14 April 2005 at 01:28 PM.]

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2005 11:35 am    

Ron, A special thanks to you for all your contributions. What makes them valid to me is that they have come from your personal experience of many years.

Mark and Chris, thanks to you also for your contributions.

I will give you a report of what happens when I get back around May 9.

Hopefully this can help others.

Aloha,
Don

seldomfed

Colorado
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2005 12:21 pm    

Don, if you're going to HSGA, I'll see you there
chris

------------------
Chris Kennison
Ft. Collins, Colorado
"Listen Sooner"
www.book-em-danno.com
www.seldomfed.com

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2005 9:19 pm    

CHRIS,

HSGA IS WHERE I AM HEADED - ON THE SUNNY BANKS OF WAIKIKI.

SOME OF US HAVE TO MAKE SACRIFICES IN LEAVING THE MAINLAND FOR AN ISLAND OUT IN THE SEA.

SEE ALL OF YOU KANES AND WAHINES THERE.

ALOHA,
DON

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 6 May 2005 5:28 pm    

Hey to Ron, Mark and Chris and any other interested persons,

I thought that I would let you know how I made out, since Ron had requested it.

Final Report -

Considering all of the suggestions and what was most feasible, I largely followed Ron's outline. See his post above. This proved to be successful.

I got to the airport early, checked my other baggage and proceeded to the gate with 2 guitars - an Excel frypan and D-8 Lyric Magnatone (1950's) transported on a Samsonite pull cart. I requested assistance from the flight agent at the gate informing him that my Magnatone was fragile. A flight attendant told me to specifically ask for early boarding privilege and they would most likely would grant it. Long story short - He said that I would not need to board early because the flight was not full and there was plently of room. So no worry.

I traveled down the ramp to the plane and used my pull cart all the way to our seats. The aisles were tight, but it was all doable.

The Magnatone easily fit in the above compartment for baggage.

The procedure worked the same on flying to and from Hawaii on Northwest Airlines from Portland Oregon to Honolulu and back.

-----
More Information -

At the conference, I checked with a few other steel guitar players on transportation of their instruments. Some of them had custom made steel guitar cases similar or like the ones that Chris mentioned in his post with foam padding inside. See his post above. They had used these for some time without incident.

It did look like these cases gave better protection than the regular cases. However, I still wonder what would happen if they were dropped?

I hope this has been informative.

Happy and safe travels to all you steel guitarists.

Aloha,
Don

[This message was edited by Don Kona Woods on 06 May 2005 at 06:28 PM.]

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 6 May 2005 6:35 pm     edited

edited

Last edited by George Piburn on 7 Jun 2012 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Ron Brennan

Post  Posted 6 May 2005 8:25 pm    

Hi Don,

Welcome back to reality .......thank's for the report card......You sir, did very well.

All's well, that end's well!!! And a good travel wish to all steeler's this summer!!!! TX

rgds,

Ron

------------------
"67" Telecaster,

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 6 May 2005 11:45 pm    

George,
The Pelican Travel Vaults sound inviting.

The case measures - 4"x14"x33" and weighs 37 lbs with guitar in it.

Are you saying the Vault would enclose this size case?

You said it would weigh under 60 lbs. The airlines are going to be getting tougher on baggage over 50 lbs. Do you think this could be done in this case.

Please give information on how it can be obtained and the price.

Thanks for your post.

Aloha,
Don

George Piburn

Post  Posted 7 May 2005 6:43 pm     edited

edited

Last edited by George Piburn on 7 Jun 2012 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total

George Piburn

Post  Posted 7 May 2005 6:53 pm     edited

edited

Last edited by George Piburn on 7 Jun 2012 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 7 May 2005 10:15 pm    

As much as I have little love for our national carrier AIR CANADA, I must give them credit for the way they treated my instrument last Sept., from HNL. All they required was a large red FRAGILE sticker on the case. I took the precaution of adding an extra strap to the case. They processed it by hand. It never ended up on the luggage ramp. I picked it up at a location near the ramp where it was placed, not thrown.