The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Has it finally caught up to them?
Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2005 9:04 pm    

Reasonable price for a cool guitar and no bids. Has the business practice finally caught up to them? ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=...

[This message was edited by b0b on 25 April 2005 at 05:26 PM.]

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2005 9:24 pm    

Hopefully, yes. Couldn't happen to nicer folks......

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2005 9:39 pm    

I was wondering aloud the other day (should have posted it) whether the hyperinflated price phenom on our favorite auction site might backfire and actually drive down the vintage market. Scare off the legit collectors. For us players, that is probably not a bad thing. Unfortunately, I have 7 steels lying around that aren't appreciating as fast as they were 6 months ago.

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2005 11:47 pm    

That's beautiful! We should continue the trend and just boycott the *******s no matter what.

It's so annoying to do a Price highest first search for Lap Steel or Steel Guitar and see 10 of their stupid auctions at the top of the list.

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2005 3:49 am    

Nice steel, not bad asking price,
but this may send a message to the powers that be.

Alan Kirk

Paso Robles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2005 6:16 am    

It's been relisted: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=623&item=7317796453&rd=1

One factor here is that it is being sold by a Guitar Center guy. That may have scared off some legitimate buyers, given GC's shaky reputation on eBay.

------------------

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 12:07 am    

I don't think the pickup is original ...and it might not be an accident that the pickup and cavity is not being shown close up. Notice in their description: "may have substituted hardware".

DT~

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 2:15 am    

Yep, there had to be something hinky about it and that's probably it.
Hope nobody gets taken in . .

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 5:31 am    

due to their previous activity & threads here about 'em, i took the liberty to mail these jokers & tell them what i thought about their practices

here's a basic reply :

received your message in the Instrument Exchange message center.

Rest assured, Instrument Exchange is not a scam. This is a very reputable company.

Instrument Exchange represents thousands of music retailers around America that use our software and services to sell at eBay and Instrumentexchange.com. We hold the $ in escrow until the buyer receives the item and is satisfied. When the buyer has accepted the sale, we then go ahead and pay the seller.

We are here to protect the buyer. Since you are a musician, I would recommend that you give IE a try. We have had over 100.000 successful transactions.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Sincerely,
-------------------------------------------
as usual, more the Fo'bros write to ME & tell 'em just what they think
they will get:" but you can't fool all the people all of the time "
these folks make more $$$ than Nigerians & possums

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 3:44 pm    

I looked at another one and that is the original pickup. The condition seems a little spotty but the price isn't bad. I am having one of my contacts at GC check it out for me. If anyone wants it let me know and I can get a deal going.

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 6:34 pm    

NOTICE: Even though I still can't tell from the poor auction pictures of the PU; Searching my files I found a like model of a NY'er whose pickup does indeed look like the GC auction's NY'er pickup; It appears to be a narrower pickup proper for that model rather than the very wide pickup of another NY'er model I had mentally pictured:

=================================

I think the situation we have with a number of Folks (including myself), is recognizing quite well that IE has a notoriously bad reputation to live down even if they are trying to "change their ways", which I don't have anything other than their own rhetoric to determine if they are; And some of their new separate stores' ebay accounts are already showing declining feedback scores that are an affront to the IE claims in their email sent to Crowbear. Case in point is the rather deceptive email Crowbear got that fails to mention that GC and IE are one in the same and that the vast majority of those 100,000 sales are of their own inventories ...and since the new stores' accounts haven't existed very long, most of that 100,000 sales likely include the old IE ebay account that crashed because of highly questionable practices and notoriously bad ebay feedback. If someone is not honest and forthcoming in the obvious matters at hand ...(Sir, we apologize for problems we had in the past and are making every effort to ensure they don't occur again ... etc)... then there is a reason for it, and I don't trust such rhetoric any further than I can spit.

Now this surely doesn't mean that all GC employess, nor even certain stores and store managers are complicit in bad business practices, ...and by simple odds and common sense we can assume that many are quite good people. But that doesn't negate the fact that IE has a notorious reputation and IE/GC are quite aloof in revealing their direct relationship with each other, even during the times that the previous / defunct IE ebay account acquired such a bad reputation. With their past reputation as a basis I think it fair to watch their auctions, feedback and practices etc very closely.

A person might also want to take notice in the bowels of the IE website, that GC inventory that is up for auction is also available for a direct sale at the store that holds that item; ...and I've also noticed in their auctions that they suggest bidding your hightest BECAUSE they can/will take in-store offers as well; ...And, per GC's past practices, an item at one store can even be drop-shipped to a customer in a purchase at a different store, because most if not all of their stores share a common database of their system-wide inventory for that purpose. I believe I'd rather to business directly with a store of good reputation than with an unknown store in an ebay / IE auction.

One plus is that knowing who and where the point of sale is with GC / IE, ...a person has a much better bag of tools to hold their feet to accountable and regulatory fire should a deal go bad; Certainly much better than appealing to ebay's stonewalling hands-off / hear-see-speak no evil architecture.

Aloha,
DT~

[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 25 April 2005 at 07:53 PM.]