The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ray Price, with Mike Cass
Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2007 3:55 pm    

On 3/6/07 I attended a Ray Price concert at the Florida Strawberry Festival in Plant City, FL. I was fortunate enough to get seats up in the VIP section, 3 rows back.

As for country music shows, "I've been to the mountain top." I was totally amazed with Ray's performance. This man has still got it. Traditional country music at its finest. An additional treat was Mike Cass on steel guitar, sitting directly in front of me. Excellent playing by Mike, and yes, I heard some Day, some Emmons, and certainly some Mike Cass.

Here's a link to the photos I took at the show:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/album?c=crackerken1&aid=576460762393053432&pid=&wtok=rK64ExdOPuaM_scbSaegTA--&ts=1173580827&.src=ph

Don't ever pass up a chance to see Ray Price if he's in your area. Ray is 81, so you never know if you will get a second chance.

Ken

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2007 4:23 am    

That Mike is so lucky to have such a great backup singer in his band!

Laughing

Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 5 Apr 2007 4:53 am    

We had close seats in front of Mike here at the Kennedy Center when Ray "sold out" the place and the show was fantastic. IMO, Mike does a fantastic job and is a real joy to listen and watch.

Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2007 4:55 am    

My wife and I must have been sitting near you. I agree, Ray did a wonderful job, as did the whole band. You can't beat the class of a band like this. Each member played when it was his turn and then let the others play. Boy, is that hard to get through to some of the guys around here. Larry

Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2007 5:03 am    

My wife and I must have been sitting near you. I agree, Ray did a wonderful job, as did the whole band. You can't beat the class of a band like this. Each member played when it was his turn and then let the others play. Boy, is that hard to get through to some of the guys around here. I really got sun burned that day, but it was worth it. Larry

Alan Coldiron

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2007 5:35 pm    

I too was at this show. Unfortunatly I had terrible seats. I was visiting my Mother in Florida when I found out about the show. The entire show was wonderful. Ray is as good as ever. Ray Price with a great steel player and 3 fiddles. Don't get much better. By the way Larry, do you know a steel player from Cortland name Fran Austin? He worked in a band with my father in the early 70's.

Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2007 5:59 pm     Fran

I sure did know Fran. He passed away a couple of years ago. You're dad, must have been Cliff and I knew him also. We used to go over to a bar in Dryden and talk with Cliff. I was playing with Jim Pickard at the time Bucky Moon used to play at this same bar and we did too . Larry

Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2007 7:01 pm    

Larry - Yep, you must have been rather close. I was straight out in front of the steel, on row 3, right in line with that low level fill speaker. Great seat anyway. I don't know if you noticed or not, but from time to time I'd notice Mike Cass and some of the others displaying amazement at Ray's ability. Great show.

Did you stay for the Randy Travis show? I did. Great as always, and his steel player, Steve Hinson, is a great talent as well.

I was born and raised in Plant City, and only live 10 miles away now. Over the years I've seen some of the great steel players at the Strawberry Festival, such as Tom Brumley with Rick Nelson, John Hughey with both Conway Twitty and Vince Gill, JayDee Maness with Vince Gill, Steve Hinson with Randy Travis, Bruce Bouton with Ricky Skaggs, and more. They always try to have some traditional country music there.

Ken

Last edited by Ken Mizell on 8 Apr 2007 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2007 7:25 pm    

Hi Ken, I think everybody is amazed at Ray, that's for sure. My wife and I were down there looking for a place to buy in one of the parks between Zephyr Hills and Leesburg, where my daughter lives. If we find something, I'll contact you and maybe can get together.c ya Larry

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2007 9:37 pm    

Ray Price is coming to Newfoundland in June........I take it I should go?

Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2007 1:14 am    

Chris, You sure should go if you have a chance. There aren't many bands around now that can match the class of The Cherokee Cowboys. Larry

Ken Thompson

Great Falls, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2007 11:20 am    

Ray and the band will be in Great Falls on the 21st of April. I have 7th row seats. I am really looking forward to this concert. I see that Mike plays a GFI so I will take this opportunity to evaluate that guitar as well.

Does anyone know if Mike is approachable after the show?