The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  CLASSICAL Hawaiian Steel Guitar C6th
Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2005 4:49 pm    

This is an 18th Century little classical peice written for classical guitar. Fernando
Sor wrote it for C Major and I uped it to D Major to avoid too many open strings.
It is done on C6th six string and is great
for practicing technique. It serves as a
great study for the Hawaiian non pedal steel just as it did and still does for Classical Guitar beginners.
If anyone is interested in a lesson and learning to play this on the lap steel please feel free to contact me.
The lesson would include the Tab or music
and slowed down MP3. There are 3 short movements.Great for right and left hand control.
My email: roythomson@eastlink.ca
Here is the link to an amazing little classical study for Hawaiian Steel Guitar.
"Andante"......... http://members.cox.net/loveridehd/ClassicalLapSteel.mp3

[This message was edited by Roy Thomson on 19 April 2005 at 05:56 PM.]

Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2005 5:15 pm    

I enjoyed that, Roy! Classical music was my first love...I listened to it exclusively for about the first 13 years of my life. And used to DJ it a bit when I was in college.

You keep coming out with these great arrangements faster than I can keep up with them!

Thanks for all you do to promote and share the steel guitar with the rest of us.

[This message was edited by Jeff Strouse on 19 April 2005 at 06:17 PM.]

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2005 6:35 pm    

Wow!

Joel Newman

Smithsburg, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2005 6:16 am    

Wonderful! Garsh, you pump these beauties out faster than I can listen to 'em . . .(I couldn't find the thread but your version of "our day will come" was really cool too!)Roy you rock!

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2005 7:25 am    

Absolutely beautiful, Roy. Do you read music as you play this? Or did you figure it out from the music and memorize it? Or did you figure it out by ear from a recording? I am working on some classical pieces on pedal steel. I read on the piano, but not really on pedal steel. I figure it out by ear on steel and memorize it. But if I don't keep playing the piece I will forget it and have to start all over by ear.

Roy Thomson

Post  Posted 20 Apr 2005 8:06 am    

I read classical guitar music David and
studied it to Intermediate level for five years in the mid 80's. So I am familiar with this peice and others that I used to play on the nylon and still do sometimes.
It is not that difficult for me to transpose but it takes several hours to put it in tablature format. I do not have to memorize the peice in order to play it but rather watch the tab as I go through it. That takes another several hours practice as you are watching both your left hand and the Tab as you record. I could play it better if I memorized it but there are so many songs to play and so little time.
I thank you all for your comments and interest.

Roy

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2005 10:31 am    

Beautiful, Roy! Thanks for sharing.

Terry Robbins

Quakertown,PA,USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2005 6:42 pm    

I love your tone (and playing) in this piece. What kind of guitar and amp did you use? And did you roll off the treble with the tone control. I am in the process of rewiring my Artisan (Carvin S60 single coil pickups are NOT drop in replacements) And I was going to leave out the tone control. The lap steel has been such a musical revelation (?) to me, I wish I had bought one back in the '70s when I first had an interest in them.
... sorry for the rambling.

Roy Thomson

Post  Posted 21 Apr 2005 7:29 pm    

Hi Terry,
I use a Gibson BR-9 six string on that peice. This particular guitar is a
student model and there were a lot of them manufactured.
I went straight to my Roland Digital Recorder and did not use an amp. Yes, I did
take some brightness away with the tone control on the guitar.
I am glad you liked it. This peice was one of four I transcribed for Dobro Guitar from
Classical Guitar. The resonator does not do justice to Classical Music so that's what made me move it to C6th Lap Steel. This did present another problem however in that I could only get down to "C" which is middle on the piano I beleive? The way around was go up an octave and rewrite the low parts. In so doing it provided a sound of it's own.
I hope to work out the remaining three short
compositions sometime in the future.

RT