The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gibson Royaltone- Pickup
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2005 10:48 am    

I just acquired a Gibson Royaltone lap steel from our esteemed Brad Sarno, a lovely instrument in all the important ways. I have a question, though; The poles in the pickups are screwed way up out of the pickup, and the pickup is very low. Is this normal, or should I consider lowering the polepieces and raising the pickup? Or is this just a normal feature of these guitars that I should leave alone? Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

------------------
Gibson Royaltone, Sierra S8, bakelite bars
Pedals are for bicycles!

Gary Anwyl

Palo Alto, CA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2005 10:13 am    

I used to have a Gibson Royaltone.

The polepiece screws on my steel were sticking up about 1/8" or less above the surface of the pickup. I believe the pickup was mounted flush against the body. It sounded fine to me with the polepieces at that level.

You have to be a little careful adjusting the pickup screws. I tried adjusting the polepieces and ended up snapping he head off the screw. I think the plastic plates on the top and bottom of the pickup had become warped so the screws didn't move freely.

It turns out that the screws were 5-40 machine screws, which is not very common these days. You see 4-40 or 6-32 but not 5-40. Send me an email if you end up needing some 5-40 screws for a Gibson pickup. I have a whole box.

It sure was a nice looking steel. You're making me start to regret ever selling it:

[This message was edited by Gary Anwyl on 28 April 2006 at 04:04 PM.]

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2005 3:05 pm    

Heheh mine looks almost like it could be the same one, except the flame pattern is a little different. I'd love to buy a few of those screws from you, just in case...