The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Computer Recording Software Programs?
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2007 11:43 am    

I dont' know whether this post should be in Computers or Recording, it certaintly deals a lot with Computers.

Over the past couple of weeks or so, I have collected the names of several music recording programs that were mentioned on the Forum by the Members. Here is the list that I gathered:
Pro Tools 7
Soundforce 8 for mastering
Nero for CD burning
Sonar producer Edition 6
Reaper
Sony Architect
Cakewalk Sonar Producer Edition
Dartpro 32
Mixcraft
Cooledit Pro
Audacity
Cdex
Wave edit
Cakewalk
Sound Force
Cool Edit 2000
Adobe Audition
Steinberg's Wavelab
Gold Wave
Pro Tools
Peak
Cubase
Internet Tape Deck
Polderbits
Record pad sound recorder
Total Recorder
Record Lab
MP3 Recorder
Music Match
NCH tool Box
N'track 4, Multi track

I have tried some of these that were on trial or free and some were better than others, but they all had their bugs of one kind or another.

So,What in your experience has been the easiest Software to use with adequate results.??

I am beginning to think a Stand Alone Recorder without involving the computer, might be a good idea. More like Tacscam 8 track tape recorders were. But now digital...Thanks...al:)Smile

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus

Jim Peters

St. Louis, Missouri, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2007 2:56 pm    

Al, Tracktion was the easiest to learn, but I bought Sonar Home Studio, on the advice of a friend. Sonar works great, the learning curve is like most of the others. Traction is different, more intuitive, but my friend doesn't like Mackie products. JP

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2007 6:35 pm    

Al. I've been one of those who has stuck with the cakewalk programs for some time. I can run either Pro Audio 9 or Sonar Producer 6.

If you are not worried about MIDI and all the fancy stuff these programs have, and only want to do basic recording with live instruments, the stand alone recorder is probably best. Easy to use and a lot less money in purchasing and upkeep.

Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2007 12:24 am    

The easiest one is the one you have got and got used to.
They are all a pain in the early stages, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Do you remember when you first tried to play steel?
It's like that.
When it comes to buying cars, I always advise people to buy the make of car that the most helpful local dealer sells.
On music software, find someone locally who can sit in with you on those first, early screaming-with-frustration sessions, and get the same software that they have.
After that, upgrade when you can, but never make a major switch, or you'll just spend another six months computer wrestling and not MAKING ANY MUSIC- which is what you are meant to be doing.
Cheers
Dave

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2007 1:39 pm    

Yep. Buy one and stick with it.

I had one of the big Roland digital recorders when they were really popular. I didn't care for it much. In fact, I don't think I EVER finished a project on it.

AND... On a computer, the editing is A LOT easier. You have a big monitor to look at, you have simple cut and paste operations, with MIDI you can change keys or tempos for the entire song in just a few seconds.

I would certainly go the computer software route now, knowing what I know.

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2007 3:22 pm    

Al,

What is it you want to do with a program?

I use GW. I'm putting old vinyl LPs onto my hard drive, presently. The EFFECTS menu options are unbelievably sensitive. You can do a lot of things with these effects. I've had GW for as long, just about, as I've been on the Forum - 1998. It cost about $50 back then, and costs about $55 now [I think]?

I haven't encountered any big problems, yet, with GW.

I'm just NOW getting the hang of GOLDWAVE. It's the subtle effects that take time to understand. A lot of experimenting.
Well worth it. I'm a slow learner, and proud of it.

Chris from GW is a super dude and very, very accomodating, if you run into a problem.

Anyway, tell me, if you can remember(what with all those programs)what the bug[s] were with GOLDWAVE. I'd be glad to help ya. Smile

Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2007 12:02 pm    

Hi Al,

I didnt see Tracktion 2 on your list. i highly recommend it for its ease of use and simple interface. I have one of those stand alone digital recorders, a roland VS840, and it is WAY more complex than using Tracktion 2. Those stand alone recorders have manuals the size of phone books and require pressing twelve different buttons on a teeny weeeny lcd screen just to EQ something. Tracktion 2 is $149, a stand alone recorder was about $750 as I recall back when I bought mine so the software is/can be, cheaper. with software you need dsome sort of interface to connect your guitars, mics, etc to the computer..a Toneport , edirol, motu, tascam etc...different topic altogether. i use the toneport which cost $199.

heres the downloadable demo for Tracktion 2
http://www.mackie.com/products/tracktion2/.

be advised Tracktion 3 is about to become available within a month or so so you may want to wait for that if you decide you like Tracktion 2. best of luck

I'd narrow that list down to a few of the simpler ones...Sonar, Acid, Ableton, Cubase, and of course my beloved Tracktion, just to make it less daunting.

all this is assuming you want to do multitrack recording

Al Marcus

Post  Posted 24 Feb 2007 11:00 am     Recording

Thanks guys for all the info and advice of your experiences with recording . I appreciate it. I will try some of your recommendations an see what happens. I'll give you an idea of what troubles I am having.

I have cassette tapes , some tranfereed from Reel to Reel of old songs I recorded without any backukp. I would like to get them all in the computer and burn them on a CD just to keep as you know how old tapes can get, etc.

Well, I recorded some from line in on Music Match, they are in the libray listing. But when i go to play a lot of them, it won't play, says "link is brok", fix lin? I say yes and supposedly fixes it, then guess what? I try to play the song again, and 'Broken link again". so MM is not so good.

I try playing the list in Window Media Player, and What does it sa? "Can't find the song file" or cant play it,Look on the WEb? Are they kidding? It is not on the Web. It is a Wav file usually, I thought they would play anywhere.
That is why I thought about a Stand Alone Recorder, I know they are sometimes harder and more expensive, and if you are not interested in portability, you don't need one.
Years ago, I bought Cake Walk Pyro at Best Buy and it worked pretty good without all the bells and whistles that I dont need. I had some programs on my old computer that didn't transfer over and I don't have the CD's for most of them , so lost them. For me, it seemed they were simpler to use and better than the newer ones with all the (Improvements?).
Anyway, I appreciate this Forum and knowing all the guys on it, where we are all helping each other out with whatever subject. Thanks and I'll keep testing some programs until I hit on one that suits me.....al.SmileSmileSmile

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2007 6:53 pm    

Al. Another option is Roemer Easy Hi-Q recorder. It will record anything that goes thru your speakers to an MP3. From there you can burn a CD using the MP3 files. Roemer software doesn't burn CD's so you need another burn program.

Best of all there is a free download of the recorder. I use it a lot to record stuff from the computer, like U-tube files. Again, you can record whatever you can play on your speakers, so a line in from any external source should work. Go to link below:

http://www.roemersoftware.com/

Al Marcus

Post  Posted 24 Feb 2007 7:16 pm    

Ken-Thanks , that might just be the ticket for what I want to do with my old tapes. I don't care if it doesnt have a burner, I can do that OK whenever I want. I'll try it out over the weekend and report here how it went. Thanks again...al:)Smile

Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2007 4:43 pm    

oh you just want to transfer tapes? forget tracktion then.
I was thinking of getting this device for what you wanna do Al.
http://www.needledoctor.com/Gemini-iKEY-Record-Directly-To-Any-Device-Including-The-iPod?sc=2&category=1278

Ken how do interface a tapedeck to that software? thru the input on your soundcard?

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2007 8:08 pm    

Ben. Yes I go thru the soundcard. I have been using a couple of devices, the line 6 guitar port, and mostly a Presonus firebox. Those of course go thru the soundcard. My 1/8 plug on my soundcard is thrashed, so I use the Presonus which is a firewire input.

Any computer sound card input should work. One of the nice things about the Roemer is the ability to boost the MP3 volume if the resulting MP3 needs to be louder.

And again, it's tough to beat free.