The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tell Me Your Thoughts If You will
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2005 2:22 pm    

Only for my own personal reasons..I would like to bounce a few questions off of you.

If Fender were to design a single neck such as the Deluxe 8, how many of you would be interested?.

Or if Fender was to design or reproduce a dual 8 string such as we know it to be,would you be interested?

Or a triple neck guitar somewhat like the stringmaster as we know it today can you comment on that.

How many would like the option of having 10 strings in addition to the 8 string guitars.

Colors??? give me your thought's It's only for my own curioisity.

Thanks

Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2005 2:38 pm    

Only if they did it right.

Only if they used quality materials and parts.

Only if they really thought out the design and approached it as a true reproduction and reissue of the older models, not a "we'll just slap a Stratocaster pickup on a flat piece of wood, find some cheap tuners and slap on a Fender decal, that should do it..." type of design.

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website
Board of Directors Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association

[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 26 February 2005 at 02:41 PM.]

Craig Hawks

North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2005 2:56 pm    

I would be very very interested! If I had a sort of "make your own" thing. Sort of like picking out a Les Paul...

I'd go for a four neck, first two necks with double Stringmaster-ish pickups and far two necks with triple pickup sort of Strat-ish. Blender's for each neck and individual switching.

Likely, I'd stick with 8 strings on all the necks. Although maybe a 6 string on the far neck. (I'd like the option of open G or E for road house blues and maybe Robert Randolph type stuff)

To top it off, how about a burst type of finish. White into Blue. Or Orange to Red to Brown. Or if I was really feeling wacky, maybe each neck a different solid color. Hi gloss! (Before you all go nuts, I'm very color blind and need my colors to be bold in order to see them)

Ok, that's my quick wish list. Subject to change at a moments notice

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2005 3:19 pm    

Well Jody, if I were 50 years younger I'd answer "yes" to everything, but at this stage of the game, I'm honestly not interested in any of the above. However, that is not to say I wouldn't like to see FENDER getting back to building GREAT steel guitars and not mere imitations of what was during their beautiful years. If whatever is produced bears the name "FENDER", you and I both know that it had better be tops in quality to deserve the name...and also "MADE IN THE USA"... Thanx for asking, pal....

Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2005 3:20 pm    

Jody, I'd be interested in a double and a triple eight. I agree with the other posts; it should be high quality.

It matters a lot to me also, if the design is aesthetically rich. Besides the sound, this is another thing that makes the old multi-neck Fenders so appealing.

Rick

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2005 3:37 pm    

I think a doubleneck eight string would be the one I'd consider purchasing.

Andy Zynda

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2005 4:41 pm    

A D8, for sure.
-andy-

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2005 5:03 pm    

Hey, Jody. Well, first of all, if they were to name Jody Carver as director of research and development, just to be sure the job was done right, I'd be inclined to buy just about any new steel Fender brought out.
Failing that, if they were to issue an honest-to-god reproduction of any model with the trapezoidal pickup, I'd absolutely grab one. A dual pickup Deluxe 6 or 8 would also be pretty tempting. I don't see a Strat-pickup Princeton knock-off in my future, though.

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2005 5:13 pm    

C'mon..... who here wouldn't want a custom shop triple-10 Stringmaster.

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2005 5:18 pm    

I'd certainly love an S8 or a D8. I'd want it to look and perform like the old dogs, and be toneful... the closer they could come to the real ones, the better to me. Kinda like a butterscotch Tele; don't change the design at all, it ain't broke so don't fix it. And try to keep the price somewhere south of my house downpayment.

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2005 5:40 pm    

Jody,
I would be very interested in a new triple neck Stringmaster (short scale) if it were high quality in every respect and had all the features of the original including dual pickups with blend control and swamp ash (we know you know where LF hid it!). I think blonde, white, walnut and black would be just as good for color choices as they were when Fender was Fender. But then Natural, Pewter, Blue Sparkle and Sunburst would be cool too. Or what about Red, White & Blue??
10 strings would be a desirable option for many players.

I have to agree with Ian. The only way it's really going to work is if Jody Carver is a Managing Consultant. If that were the case, I would pre-order mine for that reason alone.

Rick Alexander
Big Steel

Bob Hickish

Port Ludlow, Washington, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2005 6:11 pm    

Jody
I agree with all said above !!!
especially George - If I were only
50 years younger 0r for that matter
- 50 again !!! But ! Let me say this !
The Steel Guitar will live on , if Fender
or some one makes a good straight Steel ,
The Pedal Steel is not for every one ! and
the folks that are learning , or have given up
or even scared off by the complexety of pedals
would find success in non pedal steel
and all the joy that comes with it

It would have to be as good as there old models
and affordable !!

AND ! I would like a T

JCFSGC Member
Bob

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2005 6:02 am    

Jody, I'd be interested in a double and a triple eight. I agree with the other posts; it should be high quality.,,,,OK but is Fender known for anything but high quality?

My idea was to have an option for not only Fender pickups, but a drop in pickup that could alter the sound on a level that would allow you to use whatever pickups you choose.

Does Sierra have this option? It's only an idea I had. People wondered about the highly touted Steel King amp and many thought it would be just a "hot rodded Twin..But you see now thst Fender has the expertise to do what they intended to do. The Steel King will become one of the most desirable amps on the market.

Dont be so judgemntal..I beleive Fender can build a non pedal steel that would make Leo Fender proud.

I need more feedback than what you have offered. C'mon guys let it all hang out and tell me what you would like IF this were possible..Im doing this on my own and have nothing to gain other than all non pedal players getting s great non pedal guitar.

I will not bother you after this..let me know
so I can give it some thought myself. I have my own ideas and I think their pretty good.

Thanks. PS there are talented people on Fenders R&D staff possibly more talented than ever before,If you give me feedback I will do my best to input to the right people
But I have to know. So snap it up please.

What are you waiting for,,I cant wait until my name is posted in Extended family.I would like to know NOW. Thanks

"The Knight Of Fender Tweed Has Spoken"

Bob Hickish

Post  Posted 27 Feb 2005 6:24 am    

Jody ! You ask .
Does Sierra have this option?

If you were referring to pick-ups ! I would say
Yes !! my Sierra D-10 has quick change Pickups
That would be nice to have on my String Master
but not a real necessity .

JCSGC Member
Bob

Bob Hickish

Post  Posted 27 Feb 2005 6:44 am    

One more Thing Knight Of Fender Tweed !
As long as we are into R&D !
How about an expandable setup -

Say your just starting out and you get a
Single - 8 then you decide you want a
D- 8 - ! So you order the second neck !
Why not have a product that is expandable

I know this won't work for flooding the market
type product - but we can dream !

And ! any one of us could beat you to the
Extended family Post ! I'm even considering
not buying green Bananas any more

Bob

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2005 9:30 am    

i'd do for a D8 Stringmaster Custom colour fer 1
if i had a big budget, an T8 would be kool too

Ron Brennan

Orlando, Florida, USA; Formerly, Edison, NJ
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2005 9:36 am    

Jody,

I agree with all of the above.

(Quote)
:How many would like the option of having 10 strings in addition to the 8 string guitars?:

I definitely would consider a D10. Moreover, like most everyone else, what I am always seeking is tone. Longer sustain (like PSG's) with the right Pickup's? Much like our Stringmasters, a Blend Tone control would be on the top of my list.

Colors: Blond, Ebony, Butterscotch, Marine Green (metallic, Blue/Green) & metallic Mediterranean Cobalt.

Were it possible to nuance an "Architectural Design", my wish would be an "Art Deco" look.

Ahhh yes, Champaign Wishes and Stringmaster wishes....... Great post!!! ...TX
rgds,
Ron

------------------
JCFSC member since 2005 "Be of Good Cheer"
"55" Stringmaster D8,"59" Stringmaster D6
"67" Telecaster,
"60"Fender Concert Amp 4-10's

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2005 10:40 am    

Jody, the expandable setup that Bob suggests and the drop-in pickups you mentioned are great ideas. That way a feller could have a D8 and add a 10 string neck, or any number and combination of necks. He could have 3 different colors if he wanted. He could change and alternate pickup types. This is the 21st Century and these kinds of modular options are entirely possible. This revolutionary type of approach could put Fender at the forefront of the Steel Guitar Industry. It would be highly appropriate for Fender to come full circle in this way, seeing as how the company originally began by manufacturing Steel Guitars.

Five Neck Two-Tone Stringmaster

[This message was edited by Rick Alexander on 27 February 2005 at 10:42 AM.]

John Kavanagh

Kentville, Nova Scotia, Canada * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2005 11:57 am    

My 2 cents is that two necks is enough if you had some kind of Hipshot-style bridge to change tunings quickly. (That's only worth doing if it doesn't affect the tone - otherwise you might as well have a pedal steel.) Perhaps it would be different if you were used to doing a lot of neck-hopping during tunes. The modular option - so you could have a 10/8 or a 7/6 or whatever you wanted, is a great idea... I'd have a 9/6, just to be ornery.

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2005 12:57 pm    

Thanks guys,,thats what I need,,kick it up a notch and keep em comin...Rick you cant fool me with that 5 neck stringmaster I know that you put a quad next to a Dual Stringmaster...whaddya think I am a fool?

no reply necessary

Keep your thoughts and ideas so that I can do what I'm looking to do.you understand my plan dont you?

I need your help

The Knight Of Fender In Need Has Spoken.

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 27 February 2005 at 02:23 PM.]

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2005 2:41 pm    

Jody;
My vote is for a Short-Scale, T–10, Custom-Style Body, but; with Stringmaster or 800/2000 Type Tuning-Wells. Preferably Natural-Walnut wood! (3) or (4) Legs would suit me just fine. I prefer (3)-Legs. I'll take whatever I can get on that. I'm going to get a Short-Scale T–10 ASAP, one way or another! I've been dreaming about it long enough!
------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
’49-’50 Fender T–8 Custom
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15” Eminence

[This message was edited by John Bechtel on 27 February 2005 at 11:22 PM.]

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2005 3:51 pm    

My preferences would be for a direct knock-off copy of the classic 1957 Stringmaster, but with the option of either 8-string necks, 10-string necks, or combination of the two.

One real manufacturing consideration would be if "the Fender of today" still has the dies for the eight-string and ten-string tuner pans.

It would be from the Custom Shop, and the player could order an S-8, D-8, or T-8, or a D-8/10, T-8/8/10, S-10, D-10, etc.

Body routing would have to be scheduled so 8-string bodies and 10-string bodies would each have to be routed in 3 body thicknesses.

Trivia: Jerry Byrd's black custom S-8 Fender used a 2000 tuner pan so that Jerry could have more length between the nut and the tuner shaft.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2005 5:06 pm    

I should think that an outfit like Fender would have a CNC wood rig to carve out anything they desired. We do it with metal all the time. Just dial in the program for the T8 , clamp some of that hardass wood to the machine and turn it loose!!
Programs for the bodies would be child's play compared to what most machine shops do.
I thought my Fender had cast aluminum tuner pans..don't remember.. Fender may have had an outside vendor make them.

Loni Specter

West Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2005 8:38 am    

Jody,
I think The key to getting Fender to make a 'real' American steel again in any configuration is to appeal to the collector's market. Whatever they make would need to be a "Reissue" of a known classic, perhaps the dual neck stringmaster. That would allow them to put a premium price on it of say $2,000. retail. With the vintage 2x8s quickly approaching $1,000. There are thousands more Fender 'collectors' out there than real steel guitar players. Fender enthusiasts that just have to have one of everything Fender makes would be almost compelled to have one to complete their collections. Who do you think are buying old '50's Fender guitars now, not pro players, just collectors and speculators.
The bottom line for Fender is the bottom line. The only way they will ever make a stringmaster again in this country is if they can market it to many hundred times more than the actual dwindling number of 1st generation players. (no offense)
Of course there's always the remote chance that Hawaiian and Western Swing music will re-imerge as the dominant radio/ Ipod generation's new fad.
At any rate, make mine a dual neck 7 string Stringmaster in 24.5 inch scale, 3/8" spacing, nickle plated parts and pickup covers, with Jody's signature in the tuning tray!

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2005 9:21 am    

It does bother me when I read the implication that the future of lap steel is tied to the re-emergence of Hawaiian or Western Swing music, which is never coming back as a major popular musical form any more than the big band swing era is coming back.

The lap steel has fantastic uses beyond that, which I think folks like Rober Randolph, Ben Harper, and the Sacred Steelers are pointing the way.

I think we are going to see a re-emergence of the instrument as a force, but it won't be tied to outdated musical forms. Sometimes I wish their was a seperate discussion forum for those of us interested in expanding the role of lap in today's popular musical forms and beyond. I have much more interest in expanding the instruments repretroire than seeing it siloed into a specific musical genre.

BTW, sign me up for a T8.

[This message was edited by Bill McCloskey on 28 February 2005 at 09:29 AM.]