The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  flying a lap steel
John Troutman

Washington, DC
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2005 9:50 pm    

Hey Y'all:

Just a quick question: has anyone had difficulties carrying on a lap steel? I'm flying one on American this week and just want to make sure I won't need to check it. From what I can tell, the combined exterior dimensions (Length plus width plus height) of a carry-on on American cannot exceed 45 inches, and this one beats that by a few inches.

Also, I read something posted earlier about an AFM deal with FAA that allows a musician to carry on one instrument at no additional charge. Is this legit?

Thanks,
John

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2005 11:04 pm    

Hey John,

I have traveled on Northwest and United carrying my lap steel on the airplane for at least 10 years. As long as it fits nicely in the luggage compartment above, I believe that it will be OK.

My case is just a little too long to fit in the lugguage sizer. Just to make sure some legalistic gate person doesn't give me a problem, I tuck my case under my armpit which makes it look shorter than it is. Or I hold the case in the middle (not by the handle). Part of the case is sticking out in front and part is sticking out in back. This disguises the length. I see no problem with this because I can always put my steel in the luggage compartment, where it does not take up undue space.

Once on the airplane, the stewardess don't seem to care as long as you can put it in the luggage compartment.

My $.03 worth.

Good luck.

[This message was edited by Don Kona Woods on 22 February 2005 at 11:06 PM.]

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2005 9:26 am    

Use a soft gig bag and stash it in the overhead. It's those hard cases which draw attention.

John Troutman

Washington, DC
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2005 8:20 am    

Hi Guys

Thanks for your help on this one. FYI, I successfully carried on my deluxe-8 in its hardshell case on American Airlines. Not only did I receive no trouble, but as I walked onto one of the planes a stewardess looked at the case and said, "Don't worry, you will easily find room for that in the overhead bin." So do not fear carrying on a single neck non-pedal steel. Now a single neck pedal steel, that's another story...

John

Russ Young

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2005 10:10 am    

Quote:
I have had my bullet bar swabbed for explosives three times (go for it, Howard).

I'm stunned -- I thought that the name of the thread would be enough to attract Howard, not to mention a line like that ...

[This message was edited by Russ Young on 28 February 2005 at 10:57 AM.]