The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Positive ID--National/Dobro/Valco or...?
Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2005 12:35 pm    

I was emailed these photos (I think from an ebay seller I bought a lap steel from once upon a time) with the query: who made it? Since it has a screw-on connector, I guessed National/Dobro or Valco (depending on year). But in truth, I've never seen anything as specific as a catalog page for this exact model, so I put it to the experts. I don't have it at hand but I think my '39 L98xx cast-aluminum National has a similar fretboard. (Andy Volk, enter and sign in please...)

"Hi Ben Just wondering if you have any idea what brand of guitar an amp this might be no where on either guitar or amp does it say any name.
Thanks..."

Photo links:
http://home.earthlink.net/~efgacb/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/guitar1.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~efgacb/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/guitar2.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~efgacb/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/guitar3.jpg

[This message was edited by Ben Elder on 24 February 2005 at 12:39 PM.]

[This message was edited by Ben Elder on 24 February 2005 at 12:42 PM.]

Dana Duplan

Ramona, CA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2005 1:15 pm    

I believe those are made by Regal in Chicago. You see them commonly branded with Kay and Oahu names. Do a search on Ebay for Oahu guitars for several similar examples. I'm guessing that Valco (also in Chicago) built the amp. I'm not an expert, so my response isn't definitive, but pretty sure.
DD

Rockne Riddlebarger

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2005 1:42 pm    

I have a KAY with the exzct body cut and position marker arrangement but with a slightly more deluxe finish. Pobably made by Kay or by Regal, for Kay. There is an illustration of your very guitar reprinted from a 1940 Sears and Robuck catalog on page 135 of Lorene Ruymar's book THE HAWAIIAN STEEL GUITAR AND IT'S GREAT HAWAIIAN MUSICIANS. The pot codes in my KAY read as 1939 so your guitar is probably pre-war era. The amp Probably Valco.

Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2005 2:12 pm    

I just visited ebay lap steels. lots of Oahus this time around. your picture looks like one.
the pickup cover appears to be shaped wood.
standard for oahu?