The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My Fender Stringmaster
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2005 2:26 pm    

I'm in heaven now baby! I just aquired this early 50's Fender Stringmaster T8 and even though I probably paid too much for it I made up my mind I wasn't gonna wait and wait for that "killer deal" to come along or get beat out on a bid by $25...phooooooey! I was lookin at another T8, a mid sixties model but opted for this earlier 50's model for the better tone and 26" scale. Thanks to all who answered all the questions I've asked in the last couple of weeks and a special thanks to Ricky Davis for takin the time to email me with encouraging tips and answers to my questions which helped me make up my mind.

------------------
Fender Stringmaster T8, Carter D-10, 54' Fender Champion, two Oahu laps, two Nationals, and two Resonators

[This message was edited by Andy Sandoval on 12 February 2005 at 03:11 PM.]

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2005 2:35 pm    

Looks like the triplet kin of my twins (D-8 26"). Have you pulled the tuner pan to check the date? Mine is 4/54 (actually, I can't remember the month now but '54 is the year). FWIW, mine has the date under the tuner pan and inside the control cavity.
Congrats. Whatever you paid, in a few years it will start looking like a good deal, I expect.

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2005 2:53 pm    

Very nice. You did get a good deal - you're smart not to wait for a so-called "killer deal". The days of killer deals on Stringmasters are gone but not forgotten.
The exact month and year should be written under the front tuner pan, probably in green marker . .

And you listened to the right guy, that's for sure!

Andy Sandoval

Post  Posted 12 Feb 2005 3:21 pm    

I think so too. In a few years I'll feel like I stole it. I haven't had a chance to pull the tuner pan yet, gonna wait and do it when I restring it. I'm gonna go with a C6 on the closest neck but haven't decided on the other two tunings, I really dig swing and hawaiian and some tuning ideas would be appreciated.

------------------
Fender Stringmaster T8, Carter D-10, 54' Fender Champion, two Oahu laps, two Nationals, and two Resonators

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2005 3:27 pm    

Congratulations and don't look back. You not only bought a great quality instrument, you've aquired a piece of history. It will only appreciate in value, but that is not the main factor at this stage. That's for later on. Hopefully much later on. The 26" has sustain into the middle of next week.

sorry, can't think of a joke

[This message was edited by HowardR on 12 February 2005 at 03:28 PM.]

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2005 4:22 pm    

With 3 necks, you could put an E7th or E13th on one and an A6th on another in addition to your C6th. This would enable you to use several different useful tunings.

10 different players will give you 10 different answers to the tuning question - that's one of the great things about this crazy instrument.

Anyway, here are the tunings and gauges I put on my T8.

I play a short scale (22 1/2")and I prefer heavier strings than most players, so whatever you do, don't try to use the same gauges I do. Go lighter . .

------------------

Rick Alexander
57 Fender Stringmaster T8, 49 Fender Custom, Remington Steelmaster T8, 69 Strat, 68 Tele, Gibson ES 335, Rickenbacker BD6, National New Yorker
Music Man, Fender & Peavey Amps

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2005 5:01 pm    

Congrats Andy!

I was watching that sale, and am not at all surprized by the price. You did fine.

If HR can't think of a joke, this guitar must of left him speachless. That alone is worth more than you paid.

Are you going to route it for pedals?

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2005 6:22 pm    

MY GOSH Andy; that thing is in AWESOME condition and to me, the sound is Priceless. Just make sure not to plug anything else in line from the guitar/volume to the amp; and mess up the REAL sound and the potential of you finding out Everything you can do with your hands> on that Classic.
You did GOOD Man.

------------------
Ricky Davis

Rebelâ„¢ and Ricky's Audio Clips
www.mightyfinemusic.com
Email Ricky: sshawaiian@austin.rr.com

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2005 1:10 am    

Andy - That's gorgeous! I was watching that one. I'm glad you snagged it. I was hoping somebody from the forum would get it. FWIW I don't think you paid too much for that beauty.
That price is right in line with what they are going for on Ebay I think.
A friend of mine told me last year when I thought I paid too much for my Epi horseshoe that "You can't pay too much for something like that. You may have paid it a little early, that's all. At least you've got one now."
Great advice. (Or is that great enabling?)
Anyway, that's a beautiful guitar and I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it.
One thing - now that I've got my stringmaster, my other steels get jealous of all the playing time on the fender.

Andy Sandoval

Post  Posted 13 Feb 2005 2:58 am    

I'm really lookin forward to hearin that first chord I play on that Stringmaster through my Fender twin reverb. I think I'll break it in with a little "Sleepwalk"

------------------

[This message was edited by Andy Sandoval on 13 February 2005 at 03:00 AM.]

Gary Boyett

Colorado
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2005 4:05 am    

I think you got a deal! In three years you will be saying "I only paid____"

By the way, does that neck come with landing lights?

Congrats!!

Entrance to the club officially granted.

------------------
JCFSC member since 2005
D-8 Stringmaster
Fender Dual Pro

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2005 6:52 am    

I'm rebuilding a quad Stringmaster of the same vintage as yours. I was stripping the old finish off of it yesterday and got dowm to the date in the tuner cavity: 9/55.
Erv

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2005 7:17 am    

quote:
""You can't pay too much for something like that. You may have paid it a little early, that's all. At least you've got one now."
Great advice. (Or is that great enabling?)

Yes that's great 'enabling". I'll add it to my list of "enablers".

Here's some of my favorites:

• Look at the price of Teles from that era!
  • Some would spend the money on other hobbies that I don't have.
  • Try to Find Another One! (TTFAO Factor)
  • (my favorite)I'm sure the price will skyrocket in the next ten years, but even if it plummets I'm happy.
    Here's why: Suppose I paid $1800, and could only sell it for $800 in ten years... I have effectively rented a fine vintage instrument for ten years for $8.33 a month!

Ron Brennan

Orlando, Florida, USA; Formerly, Edison, NJ
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2005 8:24 am    

Nice way to look at it Joey...

Andy, great looking Fender...we'd all love to hear it too!!!

The way I see it, you paid your dues to be the Legal Caretaker of this legendary musical instrument for the next generations to come. It will then pass to the next Caretaker, years to come. You have paid for the privilege and responsibility to house it, maintain it, play it and care for it. Enjoy it.........Tx
rgds,
Ron

------------------
JCFSC member since 2005
"55" Stringmaster D8,"59" Stringmaster D6
"67" Telecaster,
"60"Fender Concert Amp 4-10's

[This message was edited by Ron Brennan on 13 February 2005 at 08:26 AM.]

Richard Halverson

Radium Hot Springs, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2005 8:48 am    

Hi Andy nice score. it looks to be in great shape. I think it's well worth what you paid
for it as I was right behind you in the bidding.
But as Rick was saying killer deals are a "thing of the past" I don't think so as this seller had just bought this steel for 610.00 in Dec. Check out crazylegs in the sellers feed back and see how it was listed and why we all missed it.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2005 8:57 am    

Just a couple of comments---I got my D-8 (in similar, excellent condition to this T-Cool around 4 years ago for $500. Easily one of the best scores I've made.
A few weeks ago I saw a guitar I'd been looking for and I really wanted on ebay. Buy It Now was $1200. I ended up as high bidder ($650) but the reserve wasn't met. I was contacted after the auction by the seller who told me he would sell it for $850. I hesitated, tried to split the difference and when he declined I declined. Two weeks later I changed my mind and contacted him. He told me it had just two days ago gone on consignment to a well known high end dealer who was listing it at $1250 (something like $950 to the owner). It sold in a week. Still kicking myself. There are times when need to ask yourself what you really want and you just have to go for it.

---btw, the above story has nothing to do with Stringmasters

[This message was edited by Jon Light on 13 February 2005 at 08:58 AM.]

Andy Sandoval

Post  Posted 13 Feb 2005 1:39 pm    

The more I hear from you guys the more I know I would've been kickin myself had I not bought it. Thanks guys

------------------

Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2005 9:01 pm    

Andy, I have a triple Stringmaster just like that. I love the sound of the long scale(26").

I had to have a custom case built for it; but the guitar itself is in very good condition.

Rick

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2005 11:13 pm    

Quote:
But as Rick was saying killer deals are a "thing of the past" I don't think so as this seller had just bought this steel for 610.00 in Dec. Check out crazylegs in the sellers feed back and see how it was listed and why we all missed it

Golleeee! A "Three necked Fender guitar" I'll have to add that to my favorite searches! But in all fairness I wasn't actually wrong - December is technically "in the past", however recent . .
Good sleuthing there Richard! I bet crazylegs is kicking his butt right about now . .

I bought a Walnut T8 Stringmaster privately earlier last year for about the same amount, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for another similar opportunity. It just seems like all of a sudden there ain't no mo'!

So, Andy - when is this piece of history due to arrive? Are you going to record your version of "Sleepwalk" and let us hear it? It is manditory you know.

Andy Sandoval

Post  Posted 14 Feb 2005 10:27 am    

It's due in about a week I hope. I'll be camped out on the porch waitin on the UPS truck to pull up. I'm workin on an inexpensive recording setup so I can practice with and hope to be able to post some stuff on here for some constructive criticism.

------------------