The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mullen vs. Emmons
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2002 5:39 pm    

Maybe this has been hashed out before but what are your opinions on these two. If I want a modern guitar to do the best version of a classic Emmons sound, which one can do it better, A Lashley Legrande II or III in mica, OR a Mullen in mica?

Now regardless of having something close to a classic Emmons tone, how do the two compare both sonically and mechanically?

Thanks

Brad Sarno
St. Louis

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2002 6:47 pm    

I'm not real high on the food chain on this forum, but I consider Mullen and Emmons as apples and oranges. I owned a '95 mica Mullen. Mullens' machanics are terrific. Soundwise I think the two makes are very far apart. I cant speak for lashleys. I prefer the classic Emmons sound. I'll bet there'll be no shortage of interesting opinions and good descriptions to unfold on this thread so I'll leave it there. (Mullen sound wasnt what I was after but Day and others sure sound great on their Mullen don't they!)

[This message was edited by Steven Welborn on 30 April 2002 at 08:47 PM.]

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2002 7:28 pm    

I played beside of a fellow down in Virginia about two years ago,and he played a Mullen thru two amps. It had a sound of a Sho~Bud I thought. Great sounding steel guitar. I would own a Mullen guitar.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2002 7:41 pm    

I used to own a Mullen... in fact, I've owned 3 Mullen guitars. They are wonderful instruments and operate close to flawlessly. And they sound nothing like an Emmons, IMHO. They are closer to a Sho~Bud sound, but still they really sound like... a Mullen.

IMHO, the modern guitar sounding closest to an Emmons, other than an Emmons, is either a Fessenden with E-66's, or a Zumsteel. Your mileage may vary, but that's what my old wore-out ears tell me.

I will also add that I have 6 Emmons guitars from 1964 to 1966, and they all sound different.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2002 8:47 pm    

BCole, thanks for the compliments.

As to sounding like an Emmons, if someone's got an Emmons, probably a different sound would be in order for another guitar. I had the Emmons sound in my head when Jerry built me my first Fessy, and the E-66's got it for me. He then built me another guitar that had Danny Shields Crap Traps in it. Nice, but no cigar... didn't dig the sound at all. Then Jerry built my rosewood/maple guitar that I still own. Had an E-66 on E9 and a 10-1 in C6. The sound was not balanced and the 10-1 had to go. Another E-66 on C6 made it and that's where it remains.

Frankie Caruso played that guitar at ISGC two years ago and it sounded like Buddy's "Blade." Frankly, I was shocked... Bobby Bowman had always told me it was a good sounding horn, but I'd never heard it off the bandstand . Jerry is adding a 9th pedal to it as we speak. Maybe I'll get it by ISGC this year.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Rusty Hurse

Hendesonville, Tn
Post  Posted 1 May 2002 4:51 am    

Well Brad the Emmons and Mullen guitars are both great guitars.You should consider a Derby if you want a P/P sound in an all pull guitar.I played Emmons P/P for years and I went to an all pull guitar in 98 which was a Derby.I still have a P/P but it is only for sentiment now.I had several all pull guitars in the past 4 LeGrande guitars but never could get what I wanted and always went back to the P/P.When I played a Derby in 98 I said now this is what I am looking for.There is quite a few of us old P/P players who have switched to the Derby so that should tell you something right there.I think you just need to try several guitars to see what you like.Everyone now builds good guitars and like I have said you wont get a LEMON in anything you get.NO two steel guitars sound the same and never will because there are two may factors involved in the process.Each guitar has its own unique sound and when you find one you like you better hang on to it.Buddy has the BLADE but I got the SCALPEL! LOL

Rusty Hurse

Hendesonville, Tn
Post  Posted 1 May 2002 5:11 am    

Now that I have told you about SAPHIRE THE SCALPEL a black Derby.I have a natural top mica with a blue marbel front and back that is the PROCESSOR.It slices, dices,chops and anything else for all your musical needs.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2002 6:34 am    

I think Buddy Emmons does most of his playing these days on a LeGrande III so this should tell you something.
Uff-Da!

Earl Yarbro

Bowie, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2002 6:34 am    

My old ZB has a couple of cigarette burns on the top. Talk about character, now it has some. One of the previous owners must have been a chain smoker. Maybe thats one of the elements of it's great tone.

Rusty Hurse

Hendesonville, Tn
Post  Posted 1 May 2002 6:46 am    

Well Erv GRANDDADDY has played a DERBY before too and I think he might have like it TOO! He sure SOUNEDED on it on some sessions in the studio! But he could play a cigar box with strings on it and SOUND on it TOO!

Larry Phleger

DuBois, PA
Post  Posted 1 May 2002 8:20 am    

Give the Carter with BCT a try!

Marc Friedland

Fort Collins, CO
Post  Posted 1 May 2002 10:03 am    

Never mind! By the title of this thread I thought it was an advertisement for a professional wrestling match. And when the topic starters name looked like a shortened version of Bruno Sammartino, a famous wrestler, I just couldn't resist. -- Marc

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 1 May 2002 11:52 am    

When I was going through my"What kind of steel guitar should I buy" thing a couple of weeks ago, I got a lot of responses. I was looking at a Carter at the time, and I still think they are GREAT guitars. But, especially in private e-mails, people would say--"try a(insert brand name here). Sounds just like an Emmons. Nobody said, "Sounds like a Derby, Sierra, GFI, MCI, ASPCA....whatever. So it seems Emmons is the yardstick by which other steels are measured.
P.S. I bought an Emmons.

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 1 May 2002 12:24 pm    

Here's my 4 bits worth, just don't chew your cud over it more than three times. Buddy Charleton said I'm getting a good sound out of my HWP Mullen and he doesn't speak with a forked tongue. There you have it! Need change?

Gary Lee

Rusty Hurse

Hendesonville, Tn
Post  Posted 1 May 2002 12:55 pm    

You BOYS just dont pay attention! I said in my post that every guitar has it's own unique sound.Derby has it's own unique sound which I personally think is better than what I had.Maybe it is OLD AGE and my hearing is getting worse but I tend to think it is better.Sometimes age seems to add to matureity and my tone and sound has matured.I just want the players to find a good comfrtable guitar that they like and it doesnt matter what model you buy.The main thing is learn to play it in TUNE with a TONE YOU LIKE!Dale makes a great guitar and so does Ron Jr.Like I have said you are not going to get a LEMON with what ever you buy!Steel guitars have come a long way in 50 years,and so have the players.

Rusty Hurse

Hendesonville, Tn
Post  Posted 1 May 2002 12:57 pm    

This INDIAN does not speak with forked tongue either!

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 1 May 2002 1:11 pm    

This tribesman's tongue was just recently tainted with a huge goblet of Domaine Jean-Louis Chave from the Appellation of Hermitage. Too young to savor, but oh well! ooops, drifted off topic......oh well again
Gary Lee

kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 1 May 2002 6:07 pm    

Who's Dale?

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 May 2002 6:09 pm    

Garry Lee- The HWP Mullen D10 is not the regular model sold as the Royal Precision.

Herby told me that Model is exclusive to the HWP, that he sells.
According to him, It has a different body structure, changer, pickup , etc, to suit him. If you want one you can order it from Herby Wallace...al

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 2 May 2002 12:11 am    

If you want a Emmons-sound, buy a Emmons. Don't ask from a horse to behave like a cow and the other way around.
A Mullen sounds like a Mullen and a Emmons like an Emmons. And a Derby like a Derby.
Johan (Derby D10 8&8 )

[This message was edited by Johan Jansen on 02 May 2002 at 01:12 AM.]

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2002 1:07 am    

There is NO comparison! There's only 1 brand that stands out from the rest, and we know what that is. . . . .don't we boys NR

My Website:
http://personal.bellsouth.net/bna/a/m/am1070/page12.html

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 2 May 2002 4:05 am    

James Smith

Post  Posted 2 May 2002 4:39 am    

Does Mullen have split tuning or a counterforce lever ?

Also..... what Nick said....

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 2 May 2002 5:36 am    

yes & no

Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 5 May 2002 9:31 pm    

Have had both .The Mullen was a u12 ,the Emmons was/is D10 8&5.

I bought the Emmons planing to go back to a double neck. After buying the D10, I could not make up my mind which I wanted to keep, so I put both of them up for sell.

The Mullen,probably because it was least expensive, sold first.

That is another comparing oranges and apples.

I had less string breakage on the Mullen than any of 5 steels I have owned and the mechanics were tighter and quiter than any steel I have ever owned.I was happy with it in every way.I am not unhappy at all with my Emmons,just trying to fairly give you my opinions.

Finally,though I have never owned one,The Zum is the tightest and quitest steel I have ever played.

As already mentioned,don't worry about it,there are at least 5 or 6 good choices you could make with no regrets.