The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  DeWitt "Scotty" Scott, Sr.
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2015 7:13 pm    

For those of us who grew up in the golden age of steel guitar, the hits keep coming fast. Another great one gone. Prayers and comfort to Scotty's family.

Jeremiah Hanley

Springfield, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2015 7:39 pm    

We just now heard the sad news of Scotty's passing. Our hearts and prayers go out to all the family! We pray that the Lord's presence and strength will be with this great family during this difficult time. The words of this wonderful old song certainly bring comfort in times like these, "What a Friend we have in Jesus!" We love you all!!

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2015 7:49 pm    

This is so sad news. I knew him in a moderate way. Been to his show many times. Seen him many times in other shows. Even played rhythm flat top guitar for him one time in a side room while he played his little
Fry Pan Steel Guitar. What some good memories. My prayers for the family and may you RIP Scotty. J.R.

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2015 8:01 pm    

I am saddened to hear of Scotty's passing. He was a passionate man for this instrument we all love and helped the careers of thousands by exposure, learning, tools of the trade, and through the many conventions, camaraderie, and inspiration from getting to hear and meet true legends and see where the bar was raised to.

Scotty will be dearly missed by many across the entire world.
RIP Dwitt you have done well in your time on earth.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!

JERRY THURMOND

sullivan mo u.s.a.
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2015 8:09 pm    

I have been a friend of Scotty for over 50 years, he done more to help young steel guitars players then any one with all his instruction books tapes an CD'S But most important he made it possible for us to see the best players in the world. His idea grew an now there are steel shows every where, we all thank Scotty for what he did for the Steel Guitar. RIP My Friend.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2015 8:23 pm     So sorry...........

Scotty had called me several times this past year to
discuss the sale of Jerry Byrd's Sho-Bud and Fry Pan.

He was definitely one of a kind. He got to do a lot and meet many of the players most of us have only dreamed about.

My condolences to Scotty's family. Hope the show will continue to thrive.

Tom Palmer

East Wenatchee, WA USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2015 8:30 pm    

This is a sad day for the steel guitar community. It is hard to comprehend just how much influence Scotty had on all of us who play steel or just love pedal steel guitar. We will all miss him and I am personally grateful for the way Scotty always treated me. The ISGC was a big part of establishing our brand and I have so many customers and friends as a result of our presence there. We will continue support the ISGC even though due to my wife's health I am unable to attend. RIP Scotty

Sherri Kennedy

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2015 8:32 pm    

A great promoter of the Steel Guitar is gone. Scotty, we will miss you. Our hearts go out to Mary and the family!......Blackie and Sherri Taylor

Chet Wilcox

Illinois, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2015 8:57 pm    

Scotty was a friend to every one in the steel guitar a real ambassador, I will miss you scotty, Chet ilcox

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2015 9:26 pm    

It has been an honor and a pleasure to have known you, old friend.
"Teach Your Children Well"

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2015 9:36 pm    

I am very sad to hear the news about Scotty passing away. His love for the Steel Guitar was amazing and we were lucky to have a man of his stature promoting it. My condolences go out to the the Scott family. May he RIP.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2015 9:42 pm    

Buddy Emmons said it best at Scotty’s induction into the hall of fame. “It’s not how fast you can plat or how many licks you know. It’s how many lives you touched.”

Scotty touched thousands of lives, He was the best friend of every person whoever touched as bar to a string. He gave us a chance not just to meet our heroes and idols, but to meet each other.

He threw the worlds best party every year, and we were all invited. And everybody who ever attended one of his conventions can attest to seeing thousands of smiling faces running around all day, every day.

Scotty brought joy to thousands of people. That makes him a truly great man.

Those of us who knew him were truly privileged.

R.I.P. dear friend.

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2015 9:43 pm    

Very sorry to hear this . . . . DeeDee & me send our condolences to the family.

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2015 10:04 pm    

With the time difference I logged in this morning and saw the terrible news. What a shock! It is really hard for me to express my feelings for this man who did so much for the instrument in an endless effort to popularize it. All I can say now is Thanks, Scotty, from the bottom of my heart for everything you did.

My prayers and condolences go out to the entire Scott family, Mary, Sandra, Michael, Dewitt Jr. and all their friends and loved ones.

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria

Torben Koch

Klarup, Denmark
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2015 10:34 pm    

So sad to read that Scotty has passed away, he was a real ambasador telling the whole world about the Steelguitar, he will be missed.
My deepest condolences goes to his Family.

Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2015 11:56 pm    

I am shocked and very saddened to hear of Scotty's passing. I had an email from Michael yesterday morning indicating that Scotty was looking forward to going home to more familiar surroundings. He was such a supporter of the steel guitar & its many players

He was also a very good musician himself.

I can only echo the fine words expressed by those posting before me - I am NOT a writer at all. My condolences to Scotty's family; God Bless you all! Sincerely, Jim Harrison

David Rogerson

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 12:07 am    

Very sad to hear that Scotty is gone. He certainly loved the steel guitar enough to devote his life in promoting it & helping all who took it up. I know he helped me over the years. Sincere condolences to Mary & the Scott family.

Roy Heap

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 12:27 am    

Just like everyone here I am in shock to hear this . We had hoped Scotty would have made that recovery and got home.
Our steel world has now lost another legend of the instrument.
RIP Scotty. Never to be forgotten.
Condolences to Michael, Sandra , Mary and the Scott family.

Gerry Hogan

Burghclere, Hampshire, England
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 12:34 am    

I have just heard the sad news about Scotty. Barbara and I are so sorry and send our sincere condolences to Mary, Dewitt, Jr., Sandra, Michael and the rest of the Scott family. R.I.P. Scotty.

Gerry

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 1:40 am    

All family and friends, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 1:55 am    

As with others, I'm deeply saddened to hear of his passing. He alone did more to promote the steel guitar than anyone else.

Thurston Myers

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 2:24 am    

The Scott Family ,
My thoughts and prayers are with you in this time of separation .
We SHALL meet again .

In H I S Name

Thurston Myers

Chris Caruso

Merrimack, NH USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 2:25 am    

So sorry for your loss. Our condolences
Chris & Jessie

Graham Griffith

Tempe, N.S.W., Australia
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 2:35 am     Scotty in Australia

I only met Scotty a few times. The first time was his first trip to Australia. I went to the Crystal Palace Hotel at Central in downtown Sydney to hear the wonderful playing of one of Australia's premier steel guitarists, the great Kenny Kitching. I'd never seen or consciously heard a pedal steel guitar before. Scotty and Mary were there checking him out. Kenny was introduced to the pedal steel guitar when Speedy West was visiting the Australia, leaving his Fender (1000?) in Kenny's hands. I was so blown out by that chance meeting that I bought a pedal steel the following week. Scotty then invited Kenny to play at the '77 St Louis Convention, which I was fortunate to attend.

A common thread between Speedy, Scotty and Kenny was the culture of the Hawaiian tradition in steel guitar. At a consequent visit to Australia in the 90's Scotty related a wonderful interplay between Jerry Byrd, Buddy Emmons and himself where Jerry and Buddy teased him with a "who are you going to go with" scenario, both knowing that he was torn between them in terms of loyalty. He also related recording with his frypan with Buddy tuning it between takes. That instrument sure sounded sweet when I had a little play on it … a nice insight into Scotty's direction.

Scotty lived a great life doing what he loved with the greats of the instrument. A wonderful legacy and an influence on all he touched. Thanks Scotty for your influence. RIP

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 2:47 am    

He left our world a better place and will always be remembered. Say hello to the Big E for us.