The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hillman Powder Coated Tone Bars
Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2014 9:13 pm    

Our larger bar is $49.95 (7/8" x 3 3/8") , lap steel bars, in 3/4" diameter and either 2 3/4" or 3" length are $44.95, color selections are gloss red, gloss black, and gloss dark blue, and Priority shipping is included for any bar. Previous purchasers take 10% off the prices above for the bar you desire to order. Your satisfaction guaranteed, if within two weeks of receiving your bar, you decide it is not the bar for you, return it for a full refund. Thanks to all who have given their opinions and evaluations of our bars, either on this thread or in private mail! -Michael Hillman
Two Spector 5 string basses, Martin D-18, Taylor 812CE, 1944 Epiphone Zenith, a killer Luttrell 6 string resophonic, 1932 Model 56 Dobro, Beard Model E, Martin Soprano Uke, 10 string 1953 Alkire Eharp, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender Bassman, Fender 75 watt Rumble, and a Fender 100 watt Rumble.

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2014 10:23 pm     A bump to the top,

^^^^ Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Two Spector 5 string basses, Martin D-18, Taylor 812CE, 1944 Epiphone Zenith, a killer Luttrell 6 string resophonic, 1932 Model 56 Dobro, Beard Model E, Martin Soprano Uke, 10 string 1953 Alkire Eharp, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender Bassman, Fender 75 watt Rumble, and a Fender 100 watt Rumble.

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2014 8:38 pm     Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, Forum members!

Just a quick word of thanks for all the support and interest in our powder coated bar project, since we started it in August. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone on the Forum, and our heartfelt appreciation to those who have given us ideas, feedback, and purchased our bars.

Click here for our 2014 Christmas video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_5fiqufenQ

Fred Kinbom

Berlin, Germany, via Stockholm, Sweden.
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2014 2:15 pm    

I wanted to chip in on this thread as I received one of Michael's powder coated bar in the post the other day, and I wanted to share my initial impressions.

I mainly use a Tribo-Tone B-weight bar, and have done since 2007. So that is my main reference bar - a smooth, easy to hold bar with minimal string noise.

My first impression is that Michael Hillman's beautiful blue powder coated bar that I have had the pleasure to play (that also has the same dimensions as my Tribo-Tone - 3/4" x 3") is just as excellent as the Tribo-Tone. It feels great and has very little string noise. They differ slightly in tone - this bar has a touch more volume and treble than the Tribo-Tone.

I have tried it mainly on my baritone Burgin Weissenborn and my Lap King Rodeo electric so far. I received the bar just in time to use it at a gig last night - here it is after soundcheck in Dresden, Germany:

Smile

I have only played this bar for a couple of days, but my initial impressions are 100% positive. So it is of course too early to tell how durable the powder coated finish will be (my Tribo-Tones have a worn patina but are 100% fine after years of playing) but Michael's words at the start of this thread makes that a non-issue, even if the finish should wear:

Michael Hillman wrote:
Depending on the hours of use, pressure exerted, and your string composition, these bars will show wear in time. However, the coating should not flake, chip or peel. The powder coating firm that we use does not anticipate any problem, as careful preparation and firing are the key to the strongest, most durable finish that it is possible to achieve. We offer the following warranty to the original purchaser: We will replace any bar that peels or chips, upon our post paid receipt of that bar. We will also provide a money back guarantee if you return the bar to us for any reason within 14 days of purchase-we are players who favor powder coated bars, and do not see them offered to the steel guitar community at present. In short, we want you to be satisfied with our product, indeed, with the entire transaction.

A great bar!

Fredrik

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2014 12:19 pm     Thanks for the review, Fredrik,

Thanks, Fredrik, appreciate the review and the photo! What an interesting venue!

FYI -- I received an email from a Forum member yesterday asking if we were still accepting old Red Rajah bars as a trade in, the answer is yes, offering $20 for either Red Rajah or Black Phoenix bars on a trade for a new powder coated bar in any of the sizes offered. Just send me an email for the address where the bar and the $$$ difference may be sent.

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2014 5:56 pm    

I've been using one of Michael's powder coated bars exclusively
the past several weeks. I really like it. It has just abit of a mellower tone
and is very comfortable, especially with slants. Really a great bar and
addition to the goody bag!

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2014 4:03 pm     powder coated bars

Hi Michael. I sent an email regarding ordering 2 bars.
Thanks and Happy New Year and thank you for thw musical Christmas and New Year card.
Dick

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2014 6:06 pm     Thanks Dick,

Thanks, Dick, I received your payment and will send bars out first thing Friday morning, and I will provide tracking information by email as soon as I send them out. Happy New Year to everyone on the Forum, and thanks for your interest, input and support for the powder coated bars project. Very Happy Very Happy

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2015 1:31 pm    

Well, my bars arrived today - amazingly quickly - I only ordered it last Saturday and there's been a bank holiday since then - and I'm in the UK.

No prizes for guessing the colour I chose Very Happy

Only had a few minutes to play around but first impressions - I love it. Nice and smooth on the strings, lots of sustain, great mellow tone. Size and weight is perfect for me.

I think I'll be ordering a couple of spares before long.

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2015 9:55 pm    

TTT

Dennis Johnson

Lake of Egypt, southern IL USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 7:56 am     Black Bar

Mike, sent the $49.95 to your PayPal address for a 7/8"x 3-3/8" Black bar 8.2oz, Should look and sound great with my black Derby. send tracking if you can. did you get the address from the PayPal?? I'll send the shipping address in a PM

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 8:44 am     Thanks Dennis,

Got it Dennis, will send tracking number tomorrow, thanks for your purchase, please let me know that the bar arrives safely (the U. S. Postal Service has only lost one for about 10 days thus far) and that it meets or exceeds your expectations. -Michael

Rich Gibson

Pittsburgh Pa.
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2015 7:40 pm    

Got mine today and like them a lot.very smooth and a nice weight.

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2015 10:15 pm     tone bars Any 7/8" by 3" in the plans??

My two bars arrived today. These are definitely nice and a nice weight I can handle okay and really can hang on to them better than any of my other steels. Michael do you see any possibility of doing a 7/8" by 3" bar? I like the way your bars give me a thumb hold to do reverse slants.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Dick

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2015 10:27 pm     Thanks for the suggestion Dick,

Hello Dick, good to hear from you, and thanks for the input. It is possible that we could do a run of 7/8" x 3" bars, I'd like any Forum members that would be interested in that size to let me know either on the thread here, or by PM or email. I need to speak with my machinist about a couple of other projects, and I'll see how many we would have to run to make them affordable - Best Regards, Michael Surprised

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2015 8:31 am     ^^^ bump to the top

^^^ Very Happy

Dennis Johnson

Lake of Egypt, southern IL USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2015 9:39 am    

Thanks Mike,received my bar this week. It's everything every one has described. A little longer that my Dunlop bar but still able block upper strings with my left middle finger.
Nice job on making these bars, we all need choices.
I like it.

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2015 10:09 am     Thanks, Dennis,

Thanks, Dennis, good to hear from you-I suspect it looks good with that black Derby! Would a 3" inch bar in 7/8" diameter work better for you?

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2015 9:07 pm     two more bars.

Michael I just bought two more bars. a black 7/8" by 3 3/8" and a Red 3/4" by 2 3/4'.
I've am really pleased how these bars don't cause any extraneous noises especially on slides and also on moving vertically across the strings.
I am working on getting used to using 3/4" bars again it is a bit of a challenge. It will sure be nice if there becomes a desire from enough players to produce 7/8" by 3" bars.
Dick Smile Smile Smile

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2015 5:10 pm     Anyone else interested in a 7/8" x 3" bar??

Thanks, Dick, I'd be glad to produce a run of 7/8" x 3" bars if we can garner some support for that size... how about it, Forum members, do we have some interest in this size? - Michael

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2015 4:42 pm     JB sized bar

Wow: I had no idea how the 2 3/4" by 3/4" bar would work for me but it is super!! It arrived today. I can hang on to it without any problems and didn't take any time at all to get used to it.
NICE!!

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2015 6:55 pm     Thanks Dick,

Thanks Dick, I appreciate your post, and I'm so pleased that the smaller bar also works for you. I also want to announce on the Forum here that it appears we have enough interest in a 7/8" x 3" bar to produce a run of those, in the same colors we've used for all of our bars. They should be ready by mid February at the latest, I'll post a photo when we have them. We are thinking of a good promotion for a Valentine's Day Sale, meanwhile, any previous purchaser of any size bar wanting an additional bar or bars, take 15% off the price of $49.95 for the 7/8" size or $44.95 for the 3/4". Thanks again to all who have supported this project in any way!

Mark Roeder

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2015 9:15 am    

I have to chime in on how much I like Micheal's bar. Played with it last night and my first impressions are that I really like it for all the reasons mentioned. I can't say anything to its longevity, but at that price I think it is a low risk.

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2015 3:18 pm     Valentine's Day Special offer -

Thanks, all, and thanks to our trusty machinists and powder coater, who have made it possible for us to offer a great Valentine's Day promotion. Beginning today, through the end of the month, if you are a new customer, we are offering a second bar free of charge when you purchase any of our in stock bars. If you are a repeat customer, we'll offer a single bar for half the usual price. Same quick Priority shipping and money back guarantee. 7/8" x 3 3/8" is by far our most requested size, $49.95, 3/4" lap steel bars, $44.95, let us know your color preferences. Thanks! Michael

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2015 11:46 am     3" bars in 7/8" diameter,

Just dropped off these blanks at the powder coaters; we've had a few requests to produce this size for those players who would like a slightly larger 3" bar - should have a few of these by the 20th, cost will be $49.95, and, we've decided to include them in our Valentine's Day sale!