The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Which Player(S) Inspire You To Practice?
Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 1:04 pm    

Lloyd Green, Greg Leisz and just about anything from Buck Owens and The Buckeroos.
Whether it was a steel guitar performed by Ralph Mooney, Tom Brumley or JD Maness. All good.

Rick

Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 2:39 pm     Jay Dee

Jay Dee, Tommy White, Lloyd Green, Paul Franklin.

Buddy Emmons.

Roy Wilhelm. (The leader of the band I'm in and a great musician. If you can be around this guy and not want to improve something is wrong)

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 9:29 pm    

Some very interesting reading here!!!!....
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2014 9:38 am    

Big Ben Keith.... The stuff he did with Neil Young and Patsy Cline are so tasteful and elegant.

I had already mentioned Dick Overbey in a prior entry in this thread, the stuff he does behind Amber Digby is fascinating. Hope I could do that someday.....

Last edited by Ray Minich on 10 Feb 2014 9:42 am; edited 2 times in total

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2014 9:39 am    

I have recently visited with Dicky.. I'm trying to get him to let me interview him..
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2014 1:01 pm    

Rick Schmidt for C6th, Dicky Overbey for E9th

Chuck Morel

Pottersville, New York
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2014 2:17 pm    

This guy and gal keep me working on it. Tony Arrowood and Sarah Jory. Both can be found on "you tube". This was a cool post. Thanks.

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2014 8:54 am    

actually......Mickey Adams, you do! Thanks for your great videos, they've helped me out quite a bit.

But, to better answer the question, besides the obvious legends of steel guitar like Emmons, Hughey, Day, Remington, Franklin, etc., I've picked up a lot from Red Rhodes playing with Michael Nesmith, slick hand work from Tommy Morrell, Al Perkins from his Burritos days and Pure Prairie League's John David Call.

I tend to classify the steel players I listen to in two categories: there are the ones that I think I can emulate rather easily and then there are the ones that blow my mind. And it's interesting to note that some guys that fall into one category also help out the other. Example, the Bakersfield CD; I have been able to grab a lot of what Paul Franklin is doing on those songs as opposed to that great swing style on "Country Boy" on the Emmons tribute, which leaves me open mouthed and wanting more....
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2014 4:48 pm    

In no particular order, Ron Elliott, Buck Grantham, Mike Johnson, and I won't leave out Mr. Mickey Adams because of his dedication and helpful materials he puts out for all of us, Thanks Mickey.

James Marlowe

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2014 5:51 pm    

Well, I did not read this whole thread, but I'll have to say whoever played steel on Billy "Crash" Craddocks, 'Easy As Pie', is the one who made me sit up and pay attention. While I've always loved steel, starting with Hawaiian to the first PSG, it was something about the way the player made all those chord transitions in this song that made me want to play pedal steel one day. And I still want to. Oh Well
NRA Life member

Ed Heins

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2014 12:24 am    

I've been hooked on the steel since I heard Buddy play on Judy Collins' "Someday Soon", I'm actually appreciating classic country later in life, but originally I was inspired by Buddy, and Sneaky Pete in the 70's country rock folk genres. Unfortunately I waited until 60 to start to play steel, so now I listen to so many great players on youtube, and most of them are on this forum. I will say that Sarah Jory doing "Last Horizon" made me sit up and take notice though.

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2014 5:12 am    

Jerry Byrd

Alan Bidmade

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2014 10:16 am    

Sneaky Pete
Al Perkins
Buddy Emmons

Top of my list: Red Rhodes.

Plus the generousity of steel players here in UK and via US Forum who share time, knowledge, experience. It's those guys that have got me playing and making (sort of) music on psg.
Ben-Rom #017 'Lorelei', Guild D25, Epiphone 'Joe Pass', Roland 40XL, Hilton VP

First name Alan, but known as Nick

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2014 5:43 pm    

Let me add this.. i am a big fan of ALL steel players, of all styles and ability levels.. I am in awe of the masters that are on a level where I have no conception how they are playing something.. However those guys typically don't "inspire me to practice"..
I am much more likely to sit down and pick apart a song or a passage, that I understand.. A group of notes and chords that are "in my wheelhouse"... Something I can play with practice but wouldn't have played or thought of on my own.. Does that make any sense?...

I have heard guys play incredible C6 sounding jazz or classical pieces on E9, and I am simply baffled.. It is so alien to me I shake my head and think to myself about my playing... "Man could you possibly suck any worse than you do?"
I tend to listen, appreciate the talent, and move on..
however, when I hear a cool E9 lick that get my ears perked up, I might very well practice it until I have it in the bag... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2014 10:20 pm    

A lot of my favorite players have been mentioned but unless I've overlooked it, I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned Randy Beavers, Terry Crisp and Weldon Myrick have inspired me along with the others that have been mentioned already.

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2014 10:23 pm    

I almost forgot I can't leave out Terry Bethel. A great friend and a tremendous player.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2014 7:39 am    

David Wright, Big Jim Murphy, Curly Chalker, Buddy Emmons JD Maness, Tom Brumley & LLoyd Green

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2014 10:38 am    

I get 'shot away' listening to Tommy White, Buck Reid, Steve Palousek, Reece Anderson, Doug Jernigan and Buddy Emmons. Buck in particular is a superlative player live, and is just a notch above anyone else around in terms of originality and spontaneity.

However, the man who I currently find to be very inspiring is Mike Johnson. He has this knack of playing exactly what is required when he is backing a singer. When playing an up-tempo instrumental, Mike has the speed chops that few can emulate, but above all his tone is always immaculate. Some of his soaring runs in the high register and the occasional very wide grip makes very interesting listening. Mike is also so very in tune - he has a great ear for pitch.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2014 10:09 am    

Lloyd Green

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2014 2:04 pm     My influences have somewhat different than most.

In the early beginning, Roy Wiggens w/Eddy Arnold was my first steel guitar attraction. Followed shortly thereafter, I discovered JERRY Byrd and from there on I was hopelessly hooked...... After Jerry left the Grand Ole Opry, BILLY ROBINSON with Red Foley became a powerful influence.

BUT.....the greatest influences that have pushed me into WANTING TO PLAY steel guitar even more, have been the tight BIG BAND playing of the TIME JUMPERS. I was fortunate enough to get to see them 'live' on two different occasions while in Nashville. Their rhythm section is absolutely tops and nothing makes me want to play more than a tightly knit group like them.

Today, I just discovered the Quebe Sisters Band out of Fort Worth, Texas. In addition to their beautiful harmonizing voices, their fabulous three part fiddle harmonies is right up there with the TIME JUMPERS. Very creative arrangements, very tight and always challenging your ears and mind. Some of the most inspirational music I've ever heard.

JOEY McKENZIE, The rhythm guitar player with this group is surely an equal to Homer Haynes who was a top guitarist. The guitarist with the Quebe Sisters Band is one of the most inspirational musicians in my long musical career. THANK GOODNESS for You Tube.

Last edited by Ray Montee on 27 Jul 2014 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2014 3:46 pm    

In days of yore it was Don Helms, Jerry Byrd and Buddy Emmons. Nowadays its Ronnie Hall, Ray Montee, Basil Henriques and Cindy Cashdollar.

I've always been influenced by the nonpedal steel player on Merrill E Moore's records from the 50s, but I don't know who he was.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2014 3:53 pm    

Lately, ... Tommy Detamore. One of the most under-recognized monsters out there, quietly putting down great stuff in his studio.

He's the only player, for a quite a while, that I've spent some time recently getting into, due to a steady gig I've taken of late.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 4:15 am    

Every player that can play anything I can't. And there are lots of them Smile But the most Paul Franklin, because of his approach, tone, technique. His personality is in his music, fantastic!
JJ

Last edited by Johan Jansen on 25 Jul 2014 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Jana Lockaby

Kaufman, TX
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 4:15 am    

Yah, Herb, Tommy is great...and Gary Carpenter too. I try to get out to hear them every time they play around here. They will definitely inspire you to get busy.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 5:33 am    

t.c furlong, don kates, buddy emmons, curly chalker
Lloyd green, jimmy day and a whole bunch more
Very Happy

p.w Smile