The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Being Ben Keith
Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2021 5:19 am    

Great discussion and links.

Somewhere out there is an Austin City Limits episode with Neil Young and his band. Ben Keith and Rufus Thibideaux are featured a lot. If it can be found online, it is certainly worth watching. I saw it on TV many years ago.

I would estimate that the most popular, longest lasting, and most widely listened to record with Ben’s playing is “Heart of Gold” by Neil Young. I remember the first time I heard that, and it really got my attention.

Stephen Pride

Berkeley, CA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2021 9:51 pm    

Ken Mizell wrote:
Somewhere out there is an Austin City Limits episode with Neil Young and his band.

Is this the one?

https://youtu.be/u21Y-efZAo4

Fish

Post  Posted 13 Feb 2021 10:58 pm    

Paul: Indeed, changing musical trends over the decades have made playing steel guitar a rough and rowdy career choice for many, even for heroes like Ben Keith, Jimmy Day and Buddy Emmons.

When Elvis and rock 'n' roll roared onto the scene in 1956 and caused country record sales to implode, the Phillip Morris tobacco company lured nearly half of the Grand Ole Opry's artist roster onto a months-long cross country package tour to promote -- you guessed it -- tobacco products. Little Jimmy Dickens signed on for this tour too; because the promoters insisted on using one backline band to trim costs, Dickens was forced to break up his beloved Country Boys band. Over night, Buddy Emmons was out of a job.

Fortunately for us, Buddy's down time led to his rich period of growth and discovery through endless jam sessions, not to mention his partnership with Shot Jackson to form Sho-Bud. One door closes and another one opens.

Regarding Ben Keith, I love his playing. I was incredibly honored to be able to interview him about his jamming days with Buddy and Jimmy only two weeks before he passed on.

Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2021 2:14 pm    

Stephen Pride wrote:
Ken Mizell wrote:
Somewhere out there is an Austin City Limits episode with Neil Young and his band.

Is this the one?

https://youtu.be/u21Y-efZAo4

I don’t think that is the one I saw before. I think they were older in the one I saw, however, this is a really good one to watch too. As good, if not better.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2021 2:24 pm    

Ben's playing on "Crime in the City" on Neil's Freedom album is so good. Very understated steel playing but it absolutely makes the song.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5