The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Live Steel Strings report
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2012 7:01 am    

I think they are great, not any better than the Jagwires I was using, but an acceptable alternative.

The first set I used were stainless like I have been using for years. Was not really "blown away" so to speak, but impressed none the less. I just switched to Nickel and boy, what a difference. I only have 2 gigs on this set now, but I can sure tell the difference. I did have to re-tune several of my nylon tuning nuts. Can't remember now what direction, but must be that nickel or stainless takes a longer pull than the other.

My only issues so far have been what I would consider premature breaking of a 3rd string (4 gigs) and a 5th string (about 7 gigs - don't remember ever break a 5th on my Carter in the 13 years I have had it). We'll see what happens with this set. Oh, and I did notice some of those little black spots that were mentioned as not being on Live Steel Strings on a couple of the unwound strings in this set. But that doesn't really affect my opinion of them. They are very good strings.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open E slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2012 7:10 am    

Richard, what big tonal differences do you find between the Live stainless and the nickel?

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 8 Jul 2012 7:39 am    

Contrary to what I have heard about the stainless being "brighter " than nickel, the stainless strings, the tone was kind of bland (again, probably not the right word, but they didn't have the zip that Jags have) to me. These nickel strings seem to have more "presence" in the wound strings. They seem to jump out more in the mix. It sounds weird, but that's what I notice. I have been a die hard stainless guy for probably 30 years, but I read something Paul Franklin (I think it was him, maybe in a Live Steel String thread) about nickel strings that made me want to try them.

I made a comment about the different amount of pulls between the stainless and nickel above. What I noticed when I went to the Live Steel Strings, was that my half pedal technique on the A pedal went all to hell. I believe it has to do with whatever Sid changed (core size, ???) on string 10. I had it to where I could get the C note just when the sole of my boot was contacting the B pedal. Could also have been the fact that I use a .036 on 10 and a .017 on 5, and the set had a .038 and .018. I am back to my gauges and everything is working great. By the way, when I was having the half pedal problem, I just added the raises on 5 & 10 to raise to a C on the first C6th pedal (P5 on my guitar). This way, if I am just after the augmented chord without having to go to the C# note (or the 4 chord), I just use this pedal and get the exact, perfectly tuned (yeah right), C note. Oh, and I play the Day setup, that's why it is on P5 next to my A pedal (P4). I can actually hit the P5 and slide my foot over to the A & B pedals to do the 1, 1aug, 4 change that you get by half pedaling fairly smoothly now.

EDIT: Also, the same time I switched to Live Steel Strings, I also did a pickup change out. I went from a George L E66 to a Bill Lawrence 710 on my E9th neck, and from a GL 10-1 to a 710 on C6th. That may have accounted for the tone difference I heard between them and the Jagwires.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open E slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2012 8:01 am    

I am on my second set of Live Steel strings on my LDG, playing through a silverface Fender Twin, Boss RV-3, and JBL K-130 mounted in a Rick Johnson cabinet. The first set of strings was stainless; I now have nickel on the guitar. I was previously using stainless JagWires. I was pleased with the JagWires, bit it seems that the LiveSteel strings give better separation. I had to retune some pulls when I switched brands, but nothing drastic.

I decided to try the nickel wound strings after reading Ricky Davis's recommendation in a forum posting. These are definitely an improvement over other nickel strings I have used. The wound strings ring better. All strings have more definition. Considering that I wasn't able to A/B the nickel vs. other strings, it still seems that these nickel strings are brighter than others. Maybe a more pronounced tone is better description. I know that during the first line of a song with the band last night, two band members looked at me with "wow" expressions on their faces. Then again, it was probably because I was playing in tune and to the right song for a change. I did have to retune a few pulls when I switched from stainless to nickel.

I have another set of stainless Live Steel strings to try after I take off the nickel set, just for one more comparison. Unless someone comes up with a new latest and greatest product, I have found my strings.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 8 Jul 2012 8:13 am    

Maybe it was Ricky that made the comment about nickel strings that made me try them again.

On the string separation, I notice it too, but no more than the Jags, but more than others string brands like SIT, GHS, etc... But again, I switched pickups, so that could also be a part of the enhanced separation I hear. But, bottom line is, they are real good strings. And Sid's delivery and dedication to his product are top notch. Unless Jagwire can get back on top of their game, and the forum starts selling them again, I will probably stick with Live Steel Strings. I think LSS and Jags are pretty close for me, and I would like to go back to buying from the forum to help support it, but I really don't care for the brands now being sold there.

Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 8 Jul 2012 8:20 am; edited 2 times in total

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2012 8:17 am    

Thanks for the insight Richard. I installed 2 sets of stainless Live Steel Strings yesterday, but I really haven't played them enough to comment.

Interesting thoughts re: their stainless v nickel wounds.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 8 Jul 2012 8:25 am    

I might also add that what we hear between the different types is also subjective, same as between different brands. What I hear may not be the same as what someone else hears. I just know I like what I am hearing better with the nickel strings.

To throw a tad bit of humor in here, when I broke that 5th string, the first think I did was show the guitar player how clean and bright the string was. I was pretty impressed. Normally by the time they break, a string is turning black around where you palm touches the string. This dude looked like it just came out of the package.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 8 Jul 2012 8:27 am    

Out of curiosity, how can a string control the amount of separation we hear? I don't doubt it is occurring, but I would think that would be more a result of the pickup and amp. What exactly is happening?

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2012 8:37 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Out of curiosity, how can a string control the amount of separation we hear? I don't doubt it is occurring, but I would think that would be more a result of the pickup and amp. What exactly is happening?

Richard, yes I agree that would be more in the pickup.
I lean towards a pickup of the Tonealigner/telonics types where you can adjust the height of each individual pole piece where the closer you get to the string, the more volume.(and vice versa of course)

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2012 6:00 pm    

Boys,
They are really fresh great sounding strings combined with unparalleled customer service.

Nothing is indestructible.

Richard; that was Paul Franklin agreeing with me as to our preference Nickel v/s Stainless strings.

It was Paul that said “Nickel strings are more sonically balanced across the spectrum.”

To be honest I switch back and forth from time to time in order to continue my testing. There are a lot of players that believe the stainless last longer than nickels and that is why they use them. Personally I have not found that to be so.

Like Paul, I do find the nickel strings more evenly balanced but this should not be noticeable if you are strictly a “Live Player.”

If the majority of players insist on better strings we will continue to make them.

Sid

Last edited by Sid Hudson on 10 Jul 2012 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total

pdl20

Benton, Ar . USA,
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2012 9:37 pm     fresh strings

I over the last few days have changed strings on all 3 of my steels i put my Brand X on 2 and the new live steel strings on my 3rd guitar.i did notice that brand X plain strings had blk spots at different points on the strings.they have been in a dry air conditioned house and were new strings to be fair i have had these strings for a month or so, the live steel strings about 2 weeks ,the live steel strings were nice and shiney and no spots .they tuned up with little strecthing and played in at about 15 min and with very little touch up after i set it up at gig, sounded great, will see how well they last and if they stay in tune ok.also like Mike have has a buzz on my 5th and 6th strings some times.hope these will take care of that. great service BTW
Mullen G 2 D 10 8 & 6 , Emmons D 10 8& 6 Evans Amps , Revelation,MPX1,Steward PA 1000 rack, Steelers Choice Cross country Seat ,Hilton Pedal, Curt Mangan strings . When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2012 10:19 pm    

Just did the switch....actually, went back and forth with Sid and Jordan to get me what I needed, they were really helpful, even credited me for some stuff that just didn't work for me...

I tried the Standard Set on my Williams:
6th string didn't return from the lower
3rd string broke twice when bringing it up to pitch

Went back to same gauges as my old GHS strings by switching to Live Nashville set...the Williams was happy again, the .020 in the Nashville set worked a lot better than the .022 in the Standard set....and when I left a little more slack in the .011, to get a few more winds on the tuner post, it worked fine also...

I like the tone so far, need to gig with them to really hear the difference, but already know they score 10/10 in customer service....

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2012 7:25 pm    

We have 3 great ladies that work in the office at Live Steel Steve. They appreciate your compliment.

P.S. When I traveled and played guitar for Barbara Mandrell back in the 80s, Oregon was the most beautiful state I ever visited.

Your a lucky man.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2012 10:54 am    

Having been a confirmed Jagwire user for some years it was with some regret that I had to go elsewhere for new strings but, as I'd had no response to my requests, I decided to give Sid's new strings a try.

Service - excellent! My order was shipped promptly and was accurately compiled (I switched the E9 sets from an .011" to .012"). Thanks are due to Sid and Jordan for their help.

It's hard to be certain but I think the new strings are a touch louder (???) - this may, of course, be due to the previous set having been on there a shade too long!!! On my current gig I'm playing for two hours every night in a challenging environment (outside!!) but, as we're using IEMs, I don't have the immediate benefit of hearing my guitar directly from my amp. That comparison will be possible later today when I put the LSs on my 'second' guitar which I play on the 'extra' gig we do in the early evening before the main Show. There I play through an amp only.

My choice is nickel, by the way - they seem warmer to me. The balance on these strings is excellent (although I never had issues in this regard with Jagwire) and I enjoyed the 'silky' feel of the strings straight from the packet.

I DID have to adjust/increase the pull on a couple of strings - most notably on the 10th (B-C#) - quite significantly. No problem, of course, but I'm curious as to why this is.

A small (tiny) whine - I had to write 'E9' and/or 'C6' on the packaging as there's no specific marking but a generic design that covers all sets. I know the C6 sets are fatter (so it should be obvious) but it gave me a moment's pause.

It's only been two days and, so far, they seem really good - I'll be monitoring things very closely from now on and I'll report in due course.

Thanks, Sid - and if these strings are half as good as your guitar playing on Buddy's 'Expedition E9' then you're on to a winner!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2012 9:11 pm    

Update!

When I got back to my guitar I found that the pulls I'd adjusted to throw further then needed to be returned to where they were previously!!!! I'm mystified, but everything is now SO nicely in tune and sounding so good that I'm delighted...

I restrung the 'other' steel earlier the one I play through the amp - and it was stunning immediately! I really like these strings.

Sid - thanks for the PM and the tips re: humidity and string-storage; all duly noted, but I should point out that my gig is not in Florida but in North Dakota. We don't get much humidity where we are. Hot weather, but pretty dry. I'll be sure to use the Blitz cloth.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2012 9:12 pm    

Update!

When I got back to my guitar I found that the pulls I'd adjusted to throw further needed to be returned to where they were previously!!!! I'm mystified, but everything is now SO nicely in tune and sounding so good that I'm delighted...

I restrung the 'other' steel earlier - the one I play through the amp - and it sounded stunning immediately! I really like these strings.

Sid - thanks for the PM and the tips re: humidity and string-storage; all duly noted, but I should point out that my gig is not in Florida but in North Dakota. We don't get much humidity where we are. Hot weather, but pretty dry. I'll be sure to use the Blitz cloth.

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2012 10:56 am     To Blitz or not to Blitz?

There has been a lot of discussion lately about proper care of your steel guitar strings.
I have not owned a Blitz cloth in 25 years. So, a couple of weeks ago I purchased 4 of them.

I installed new strings on both necks on a Friday night. Saturday morning I started practicing about 7:45 a.m. That afternoon (6:30 p.m.) I hung it up for the day. Strings still sounded like I put them on 30 minutes ago.

As always; I cut all my gear off and this time instead of reaching for the “Fast Frets” to clean my strings, I reached for the Blitz Cloth. I wiped them down really good. The cloth is heavily treated with some kind of chemical. The cloth turned dark black.

I thought; “my hands are not dirty and these strings are brand new so, why is the Blitz cloth so black?

Answer, the black on the Blitz cloth is a chemical reaction to the metal in the strings. It’s not dirt.

Sunday I sat down to practice again and thought “these strings do not sound of vibrant as they did last night”. I played about 4.5 hours. I shut everything down and once again reached for the Blitz cloth.

Monday I sat down to practice again and the strings were fairly dull sounding. The intonation was spot on up in the “Hughey frets” but the strings were dull sounding. This is a highly unusual occurrence for my Live Steel Strings.

My personal conclusion is this: There is a chemical in the Blitz cloth that my strings do not like.

I will stay with “Fast Frets”. I have used this product for 30 years and for me it preserves the life of my strings for an extended period of time. I don’t sell “Fast Frets” but every music store does.

I realize that that are many players out there that are die hard Blitz cloth fans. I’m just saying, this has been my experience.

Dave Bertoncini

Sun City West, Arizona USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2012 11:02 am    

Sid
Thanks for the report..I like "Fast Frets" also...I'll stick with that

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2012 11:04 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:
Update!

When I got back to my guitar I found that the pulls I'd adjusted to throw further needed to be returned to where they were previously!!!! I'm mystified, but everything is now SO nicely in tune and sounding so good that I'm delighted...

I restrung the 'other' steel earlier - the one I play through the amp - and it sounded stunning immediately! I really like these strings.

Interesting, Sid; I 'Blitzed' my new strings once and, as always, got that black deposit on the cloth. I can't say that I found the strings more dull afterwards but I'll think twice in future!

The new strings are working out very well - there's an evenness of tone and volume, and intonation is as good as I've ever experienced.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2012 11:05 am    

I am loving the nickel set I have on my E9 neck (you have converted me from using stainless as I have for many, many years). I find that just wiping them down with the dry wash cloth I carry with me keeps your strings nice and fresh. After about 9 or 10 gigs, I am just now seeing some discoloration, but they sound great, still.

Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2012 5:31 am    

I have a bottle of isopropyl alcohol that I had bought for another perpose,I've been using it at home to wipe my strings down, I put a little on a rag to wipe with then go back over with a dry cloth, I don't know much about this stuff other than it says it's uses are solvent for gums,shellac, and essential oils, so I'm guessing it's ok for wiping down strings, any thoughts on this stuff?

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2012 10:54 am    

Roger, like Richard I think I would stay with a clean rag or Fast Frets.

Anything that may possibly have chemical reaction to the high carbon steel wire could have a negative effect on the tone of the string.

I can’t say enough about fast frets. I think this stuff is fabulous!

Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2012 4:45 pm    

Thanks Sid for the info!

Lyle Clary

Decatur, Illinois, KC9VCB
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2012 9:12 am    

As I started this thread I will give you my opinion as to date about these strings. I have had them on my double 10 Zum for over 4 months and they continue to sound great. They stay in tune even though they have been exposed to the excess heat we have had here in Central Illinois. I loaned my steel to a friend last week and he liked them after previously saying he had misgivings about them. I don't play very often, about once a month plus a little practice here and there and I am going to order another two sets. I feel the extended playability has overridden the extra expense of the Live Steel strings and I will continue the experiment.

Gus York

Devon, UK
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2012 2:10 pm     Live Steel Strings

Started using LSS a couple of months ago and think they are superb! Have used EB's for around 40yrs now, but what changed my laziness was the sound Gary
Carpenter rolled out on 'The Lighthouse tale' track. THe strings have a lovely feel to them so your touch seems to improve (weird but...) I still play D9th (part of my laziness streak) and the only hickup in ordering my custom set was that Sid could not supply an 040! sooooo the guitar still has the odd EB to make up the set!
If you play fast enough you can't tell the difference??!!