The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Demographics of steel show attendees
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 May 2003 8:35 am    

Larry,,a Steeler playing along with Roy and Ben backing them up hardly qualifies as BAR BAND . I would be honored to play a set of tunes with the likes of Ben and Roy playing along...

I think you said it correctly..a band doing a typical bar set doesn't make it for me...

Bring your own band, absolutely, do a few band tunes,that would be fine, but primarliy play your Steel and let your band back you up is what I'm saying...

not a big deal, just a comment..

tp

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2003 9:16 am    

I went to the Chattanooga show and left disappointed. I go to the St. Louis show quite a bit but it's all starting to look and sound the same there too. It's the same players, same songs and the same back-up band. I find myself running around outside looking at stuff I don't care about because I get bored. Jim Cohen has said it best about Robert Randolph. You turn on your fuzz and play some fusion and that place is going home pronto! I'd sit and listen to it and probably beg for more. It's the Paul Franklins, Buddy Emmons, and Joe Wrights I come to hear. Nothing wrong with any of the other great players or the tunes but it's just too much of the same thing. I'd thoroughly love to hear Reece Anderson in St. Louis for a change. Give them some rock, jazz, Hawaiian, 40's swing, something with some energy and bring in some different back-up players. The reason for the nearly one dimensional crowds could be the music.

robert hays

sikeston mo. usa
Post  Posted 18 May 2003 9:16 am    

I am a steel guitar music lover, I prefer the clasic country sound, I like all styles of steel guitar music, my comment here is about performers bringing their "band", If any one has ever heard Ronnie Miller play a set with the band he regularly plays with,In my opinion it dont get much better than that, and Ronnie is dominate on his set, another is Mooney he brings his "band" but it's mooney's show. there are others that bring backup players too,and I'm fine with that, besides it gives the staff band a much deserved break! And in my opinion does not adversely effect the shows.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2003 9:26 am    

I'm easy to spot at steel shows. Just look for the middle-aged white guy wearing a western shirt.

Chuck McGill

An hour from Memphis and 2 from Nashville, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 May 2003 4:48 pm    

I have been to one show in St. Louis and will
be there again this year. A steel players
playground. The average age was 55 or so.Even though the style of steel that I prefer is a little more modern and edgey I
have always found it easy to talk to and learn from the older players. They seem to be
genuine with nothing to prove. Now that I'm
48 I try to pass on the little knowledge I have to any younger player willing to listen.
I really miss the players I've known who have
passed on. When the seasoned man talks,no matter what he's talking about, you might want to listen.A quote from my dad Charlie
McGill.

[This message was edited by Chuck McGill on 18 May 2003 at 05:52 PM.]

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2003 9:56 pm    

One good thing about the steel shows is it is the one place in the world where I feel like a young guy with a lot of hair who isn't all that overweight....

Before I played my first steel show I asked Buddy for advice, and he told me that if you strayed too far from the tried and true, you would lose your audience pretty quick.

Then at my first steel show I asked Hal why he didn't explore the tuning he showcased on his amazing 70s album (the one with All the Things You Are). He replied that all the show audiences wanted to hear was western swing (and the shows were his main venue for playing non-country material).

So in one way this is pretty disappointing, in that if guys like Buddy Emmons and Hal Rugg can't play material that is new and exciting to them, what chance does a no name have? But on the other hand I saw Chuck Campbell mesmorize many middle aged white steel players in his playing at the Carter booth a couple of years ago at Scotty's. True he wasn't on the main stage, but I believe that somebody could sell a new style of steel playing to the show demographic.

I've got to agree with the point made (or implied) that an endless stream of steel players recycling Emmons or Franklin or Chalker licks (with the main criteria being how many notes per bar) isn't particularly interesting to anybody....

------------------
www.tyack.com

[This message was edited by Dan Tyack on 19 May 2003 at 11:03 PM.]

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2003 10:02 pm    

One thing I should mention that if somebody is interested in hearing the present and future of the steel guitar, they shouldn't look to the conventions. There is some amazing music being created on the steel guitar, but those players who are making history right now:

a) aren't being asked to play the conventions
b) are too busy playing music to worry about selling to the 'steel player's market'

------------------
www.tyack.com

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 20 May 2003 1:51 am    

I will repeat the steel shows should set aside a night or at least a nice block for the progresive steelers to be showcased.
Maybe called ; Steelin' into The Future.

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 May 2003 4:16 am    

Actually, even if the play-lists are sometimes repetitious, the steel-shows are a ray of sunshine for most players as this is usually their only opportunity to play or listen to anything of substance.

Take the theater country-music shows for example......usually the producers haven't a clue that it's possible to play anything on a steel except Steel Guitar Rag.......but it doesn't matter, because SGR is the only thing the audience ever wants to hear anyway!

.....and SGR even ranks below the fiddle players only acceptable instrumental....Orange Blossum Special!

Gene
www.genejones.com

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 20 May 2003 at 05:43 AM.]

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 20 May 2003 3:29 pm    

Quote:
usually the producers haven't a clue that it's possible to play anything on a steel except Steel Guitar Rag.......but it doesn't matter, because SGR is the only thing the audience ever wants to hear anyway!
Gene, I'd agree completely with you if you add "Sleepwalk" to this very short list.

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2003 7:15 pm    

I want to make clear that I am not saying that there isn't great playing happening at the steel shows. There is absolutely amazing playing by some of the best steel players out there. I'm just saying that the players who are doing inovative things aren't likely to play them at the shows, and most of the truely innovative players aren't even on the radar screens of the people booking the shows.

------------------
www.tyack.com

Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2003 3:32 pm    

Great comments all. I think even old dogs like me can learn new tricks now days. The new technologies are better than ever. Lots of music and music theorie available at the push of a button. You don't have to read music to find new material any more. A computer can read it for you. What a great help in the progress of music in general and of course Steel Guitar in this conversation. I really enjoyed Mike Smith at the TSG conv. this year. Played stuff no band could follow w/out rehersal but sounded great bringing his own band on CD. I like a live band also But don't think it took anything from his performance. To me, just an example of what can be done. How many Bossa's, new age,jazz,pop etc stuff do you hear live. NOT MUCH. There is a whole musical world out there for a steel guitar player just waiting to be explored.

Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2003 3:41 pm    

BTW...I played bluegrass music for a long long time and basically put it away because the "Bluegrass Nazi's" wanted to hear or play only the old traditional stuff. If I never hear Foggy Mt. Breakdown, Blackberry Blossum, Orange Blossum Spec to name a few it will be too soon. Lets keep moving forward with the steel guitar.

Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 21 May 2003 5:25 pm    

Quote:
...I look around and see "yawning", "half-mast" eyes or they are just looking around, talking; or simply getting up and leaving.

Is it the jazz, or are they just hungry...peering out from underneath the foam hats, itching for another Marlboro "Red," and wondering where the next carton of Hostess Ding-Dongs is gonna come from?

Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2003 10:13 am    

I've been going to the Dallas and ISGA steel guitar shows for quite some time now. I've been fortunate to see some of my heroes and even some of my dad's heroes. Where else do you get an opportunity to see so many in one venue.
We have a lot of hot steel player's that are younger than me living here in San Antonio that could add a lot to these show's. They're not always picking on these week-ends but it's hard to get them interested. If they would go to just one show I think they would have quite an experience. We have jazz players, tradional country players, western swing etc. We could make a heck of an album right here in San Antone and never have to use the same picker on two songs. We're real lucky. I just wish more were available to share their knowledge at some shows.

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 22 May 2003 11:04 am    

I just got through running our annual local show and observed the following things:
1.It took all my effort to KEEP it a steel show by having to politely turn down requests from the many singers in the audience to come up and perform.
2.Ditto for guitar players in the audience.
3.There were many steel players in our audience, but I think the majority were not.
(We had about 100 people and I talked to most of them!)
4.They really wanted to hear country music first, steel guitar second.
Conclusion, as already noted previously, "Steel guitar conventions are not the place to break new ground"
I personally would LOVE to hear much more cutting edge music at the shows instead of the same old, same old, but try telling that to the audience......

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2003 5:12 am    

And now for something completely different...

Try the 2004 Sacred Steel Convention planned for March or April in the Orlando, FL area. Exact dates and location to be announced.

Demographics (my guestimates): About 80% African-American; at least 50% under age 40; lots of young men, both musicians and audience, in their teens and twenties. There are older folks too (like me), but the audience is definitely not "gray and wide."

The friendliest, most welcoming atmosphere you will find anywhere. And the audience interaction is a big part of the experience. People don't just attend, they participate.

Details on the 2004 Sacred Steel Convention will be posted on this Forum as they develop.

Bob

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 27 May 2003 5:51 am    

Now, THAT is a refreshing Steelin' demographic!

There are many worrying that steel isn't picking up younger players...
It is, just not where we expected it.