The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for a reverb pedal...
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2020 5:11 am    

A second vote for the Strymon 'Blue Sky'.

Frank Carter

Yuma, Az
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2020 6:39 pm    

another vote for Strymon Blue Sky

William Gallagher

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2020 10:19 am    

BOSS RV-5

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2020 7:40 am    

I wonder if the OP ever purchased a reverb pedal.

Ryan Bramlett

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2020 10:05 pm    

I'm looking for a reverb unit as well and know nothing. Sadly, there's no way to test drive the 15 or so pedals recommended here. Hence, kinda dumb question:

For those of you using an amp that already has reverb (i have a session 400 that does), do you just turn that knob to zero? and if you don't, do the reverbs from the amp and the reverb pedal fight with each other, or just cancel each other out??

and again, because i know nothing: are reverb pedals/units THAT much better than the reverb offered by the amp? is this just understood by pedal steel folks, in the same way that it's generally understood that if you want the stereo in your car to sound good, you usually have to upgrade the crappy speakers that came from the factory??

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2020 12:51 am    

My all time favorite reverb pedal is the DigiTech Polara. Lexicon lushness in a small package.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2020 8:25 am    

Ryan,
Im No expert, but will attempt to address your questions.

If using an external reverb source, it won’t cancel your amps reverb. You can use a stomp box for a particular reverb AND add a bit of amp reverb if you choose to.

Depending on the stomp box , and your amps reverb , the outboard reverb is likely to allow you to tweak the reverb, and it may be quieter as well . You can control different aspects to suit your ear. The amp reverb is one knob, controlling only the mix .

Also, no reverb pan crashing.

If your amps reverb circuit works well, a cheap tweak is a new, different pan. The MOD reverb pans sound much better, and are a better build.

You may be able to upgrade your reverb on the cheap, with a new pan, and without hauling extra gizmos if you go that way. Most all of the popular reverb stomp boxes are an upgrade, but some can be expensive. It’s a rabbit hole for sure. Good luck, let us know how it works out.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2020 9:19 am     Looking for a Reverb pedal

I've had several reverb pedals and some rack mounts, including the Lexicon MPX-1 with the famous steel players programs. I got a Wet Reverb off the forum, and for me that's it. I liked it so much, I found another one for a backup. I can't stand amp Reverb anymore. Just my opinion using the only ears I have, mine.

Brandon Mills

Victoria, TX. USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2020 4:51 pm    

I’m going to add the MXR M300 digital reverb to the list. I have no experience using it as I prefer delay to reverb and use the Boss DD-8 on the delay+reverb mode these days, BUT I have really been considering ordering the MXR just based on the really good sounding demos on YouTube.

Calvin Todd

The Ozarks, MO
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2020 2:51 pm    

I love my Milkman F-Stop!

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2020 4:56 pm    

Wampler Faux Spring Reverb gets the job done. Sounds good to my ears.

Ray Frady

Rittman, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2021 10:56 pm    

I've used a Boss RV3, a Hall of fame, and finally a J. ROCKETT BOING. It's great sounding and one knob.
https://rockettpedals.com/product/boing-spring-reverb/
Quote:

Ryan Bramlett

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2021 1:26 pm    

maybe not the concensus i was hoping for, given that 21 different pedals/units are recommended Smile

Steve Spitz, thanks for the input. Is the Keeley delay/verb that you mention, is that the Keeley Caverns? one just sold here on SGF in the last day or two...

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2021 2:49 pm    

Keeley Caverns is what's on my board currently. I've been through a million of both delays and verbs. I like it. It has some minor compromises vs. some great delays and reverbs I've used and loved more. But I like it more than enough. It's got good sound, enough features, and it's got the 2-pedals-in-one footprint that I love.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2021 2:51 pm    

I wonder if the OP ever purchased a reverb pedal.

It's been 3 months.

Marty Holmes

Magnolia ,TX USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2021 5:22 pm    

Fender has a fairly new reverb tremelo pedal called a treverb.It has a 63',65' and a plate reverb im very fond of this Fender pedal love it!

Ryan Bramlett

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2021 9:53 pm    

Lee, youre right to wonder about the OP. dunno if he ever bought a reverb pedal, but he does play PS for georgette jones (daughter of george jones and tammy wynette) so that’s pretty interesting.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2021 5:19 am    

Strymon FLINT has 3 reverb choices plus 3 tremolo options. High quality.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2021 7:15 am    

Nothing I've used compares to my Benado Steel Dream, but I have experimented with a few others that have smaller footprints, such as Boss RV3, Neunaber Wet Reverb and a couple of others. I recently bought a TC Electronics Hall of Fame Reverb pedal. I like its reverbs better than the RV3 or the Wet, and the many reverb settings make it very versatile. I also like the pre-delay function. For me, the TC Hall of Fame is still not a Steel Dream, but it is the best alternative I have tried, and it is more portable if pedal board space is a consideration. Isn't it great to have so many choices?