The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Keyless
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2018 3:00 pm    

A friend of mine bought two steels years ago and asked me to help evaluate them. One was a keyless GFI and the other was a keyed Fessenden, both being U-12's.
I tried both without an amp first and the keyless GFI stood out with more resonance and vibration. The Fessenden was very good, but, not as resonant.
Now, remember, they were both unplugged.
After plugging them in, they both sounded extremely acceptable and good. But, discernibly different because of pickups and body style, I guess. The GFI was mica covered, the Fessenden was wood. I can't remember the pickups, though.
He wound up keeping the Fessenden and still loves it.
I play a keyed U-12 ZumSteel and I love it. I don't have an engineering reason as to why, I just like the way it looks and plays.
I would say, try to examine and play both kinds. Look at the so called advantages/disadvantages of both and then make your decision. Only you can make that decision.

GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2018 7:59 pm     Keyless

I love the old Kline guitars. I my "working" guitar is a GFI Ultra D-10 keyless with Alumitones on both necks. Very easy to change/replace strings and it is light. Great pedal action. It replaced my Emmons D-10 SKH Legrande, which is a built like a tank, but heavy!

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2018 8:02 pm    

There may be a keyless pedal steel in your future it's on the horizon. That's all I can say don't cross your fingers fold your hands🙏