The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  chris ivey
Charley Hill

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 5:14 pm    

I am sorry to hear this. A forumite oddity, I was a fan of Chris's vernacular.

While perusing his post, I always found the dry sense of humor he delivered....even when he wasn't trying to. Never met Chris....but I never took offense to anything he said.

I cringed when people would ridicule him.....everyone has a belly button. And, everyone has an opinion. I appreciated his sarcastic humor!

RIP Chris Ivey

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 5:23 pm    

Sure hate to see this. Even though he was gruff at times he usually had good advice when a member has a tuning issue and such. RIP Chris we will surely miss you.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 6:07 pm    

I will miss you, chris..

Craig Baker

Eatonton, Georgia, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 7:08 pm    

Though I never met Chris, I spoke with him two or three times and I repaired his vintage buffer back in 2013. He surprised me with a gift of his business card. It is a high quality card, china red on coated stock with a gold embossed steel guitar. As you can see in the photo, he had the graphic artist include the buffer in the image. Very thoughtful of him.

I enjoyed Chris, and as for "thinking outside the box". . . Chris wasn't anywhere near the box. May the Lord welcome Chris and comfort his loved-ones.

Respectfully,
Craig Baker

Last edited by Craig Baker on 5 Jul 2016 7:12 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 7:09 pm    

Sad news, he really stirred the pot around here.
Rest in peace.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 8:12 pm    

This is sad news indeed. I will really miss him here. Like many, I sometimes found his snark a bit much, but I always clicked on a topic if I saw his name as the latest poster, because I knew his contribution would be entertaining and usually thought-provoking. I never met him, but to me beneath that sarcastic exterior he was a good guy.

RIP Chris.

Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 8:26 pm    

wow. sorry to hear this sad news. the forum won't be the same without him. rip chris .

Last edited by Joseph Napolitano on 5 Jul 2016 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bob Russell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 8:29 pm    

I am sorry (and shocked) to hear this. Chris could be snarky and grouchy, but he was also often generous and helpful. He was always intelligent and perceptive. His advice to beginning/less experienced players was usually right on the money, and he never caved in to the gear fetishists on the forum. He went for what worked, not what was impressive. I will really miss his contributions to the SGF.

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 8:41 pm    

This is awful news. Last he and I were in touch his condition sounded stable but, to my deep regret, that was longer ago than we usually went between conversations.

I know I'm repeating some things that have been said here already but I also know that I need to have said them myself as well...

Despite his sometimes gruff-sounding exterior, the reality is that he wasn't gruff in the slightest - certainly not in the way I think of gruffness. He was among the most giving, sharing people I know and, in fact, he gave me a ton when I moved back to the Sacramento area. Besides cheering me on ceaselessly, it's not an exaggeration to say that he got me more work - back when there was actually work to get - than I ever got for myself.

Some saw him as rude and he'd be the first to say that didn't bother him in the least. Not, to be clear, because he was a creep. Rather, he was someone who simply never accepted that there was anything wrong with speaking the unvarnished truth as he saw it. If you wanted to do the same in return, he was fine with that and thought you no less of a friend or person-who-perhaps-wasn't-his-friend because of it.

His humor was dry, his remarks were at times caustic and - often in the same sentence - hilarious, and his love of playing music was boundless. It no doubt sounds hideously corny but I'll say it anyway... his love of steel guitar was both deep and sustaining for him. Playing music got him through more kinds of tough times than he typically shared. He was in many ways a survivor and steel guitar was central to that survival.

He was a feather-ruffler, a fast friend through good times and bad, an inventive player playing a copedant that baffled me to the end, and someone to whom I owe more than I can reasonably express.

RIP, Chris. I'm sure you'd say something wry and maybe snarky in response to all the attention you're getting on this thread but, as usual, it would simply remind me of so much that I appreciated about you and, if history was to be repeated, only lead me to appreciate you all the more.

You'll be missed, Mr. Ivey. A lot. Really, truly, a lot.

Wherever you are, make 'em keep playing pretty and whatever "it" is, don't let 'em get away with it - that wouldn't be you.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 8:47 pm    

Sad

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 8:53 pm     I Can't Believe It.

I'm so sorry to hear this, he just E-Mailed me thru the Forum a few days ago to thank me for taking up for him after someone had criticized him on The Forum. R.I.P. Friend.

Pete Grant

Auburn, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 8:57 pm     Chris Ivey

Elegant post, Chris Bauer. I think you nailed it. It's great to see all the comments as we share the loss of one fine fellow.

I'm happy that I sold one of my steels to Chris, his first, and gave him his first lesson.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 9:14 pm    

Sad news. Chris was one of the more colorful characters here. As has already been said, sometimes he was gruff, but he was always truthful.

R.I.P Chris. You will be missed.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2016 10:23 pm    

Sorry to hear this news. I'll miss his banter. RIP Chris!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2016 12:50 am    

So sorry to hear this, RIP Brother Chris , I will miss your commentary.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2016 1:57 am    

I knew nothing of Chris except from what he posted here on the Forum... Although he seemed a little acerbic in his posts, I always imagined him posting with a little glint in his eye and a wry smile on his face... The last little bit I’ve been looking at some youtube videos of him playing... That same look I saw in my minds eye, I see on his face in some of these videos... Joseph already posted this in this thread, but if you didn’t see it he’s Chris doing some really nice C6th work....

I for one will miss reading the next thing to come from Chris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=gsT2x1J7yJs
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2016 3:21 am    

One can't help but notice how many posters have commented on Chris's online demeanor. I think in this crazy day it's often difficult to tell the real from the fake, but Chris seemed to be really genuine. I've known people like that in my life--hard exterior, soft interior. The bigger the heart, the more it needs protecting. Somehow, it just seemed to me like he had his heart broken a few times. I can't think of a more fitting instrument for Chris to play, in some strange way.

Duane Dunard

Troy, MO. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2016 3:41 am    

Very bad news indeed. RIP Chris.

Roy Peterman

Muncy Valley, Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2016 3:50 am    

I am so sorry to hear of Chris's passing. At least he is not in pain and suffering anymore. I will surely miss his comments.

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2016 3:59 am    

RIP Chris and thanks for speaking your truth...

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2016 4:22 am    

Chris projected a unique and interesting personality here and was a valued member of our community. So sorry to hear he's gone. RIP Chris and remembrance to other members who are now gone but missed .... Steinar, Ronnie, Adriel and so many more.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2016 4:23 am    

This is pretty shocking even if there was some indication from him that the time was coming. It's a sad day.

Chris had to straighten me out at times; now I'll have to do it myself. I'll miss him. No one can take his place.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2016 6:32 am    

That's a real shame. His contributions to the Steel Guitar Forum (contentious as they were to some) were considerable. He will be missed.

William Liemandt

New Mexico
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2016 7:22 am    

R.I.P. Chris. It's always hardest for me when we lose someone that I respected so much.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2016 7:29 am    

I feel a big sense of loss and I didn't really know him. I can only imagine how those of you who knew him must feel. Peace to you and especially rest in peace Chris.