The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Why not ask the people who made it first?
Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2015 5:47 pm    

I'd contact the manufacturer first if my question seemed to be critical of a builder, his work or his business policies . I'd also do so privately.

If it's just a general question,why not benefit from all the knowledge on the forum , in addition to asking the builder ?

If I'm not the original purchaser, my expectations of the builder are reasonable.

Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2015 9:01 am    

Maybe I'm selfish, but I was glad to see the question directed to the forum first, because I own two of the guitars that were the subject, and I learned something. I think in general though, I would use the manufacturer if it wasn't a simple problem because I'm the kind of person who might take the first answer and run with it. That might cause more problems if the guy wasn't right. I also like to read about other people's experience with their guitars and when I see something about a guitar I own, it's nice.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 8:39 am    

DUCK, everybody! The Emmons-bashing begins in two more posts!

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 11:57 am    

why is that? does anyone have any recent dealings trying to get helpful info from the emmons co.?
where are they located now, anyway?
are they still in business?
didn't they close their shop?
Very Happy Smile Shocked Confused Wink Winking Exclamation Question Arrow Evil Twisted Muttering Alien Mr. Green Devil

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 12:34 pm     open

chris ivey wrote:
why is that? does anyone have any recent dealings trying to get helpful info from the emmons co.?
where are they located now, anyway?
are they still in business?
didn't they close their shop?
Very Happy Smile Shocked Confused Wink Winking Exclamation Question Arrow Evil Twisted Muttering Alien Mr. Green Devil

Emmons is still open for business. Same shop in NC.
They are very hard to get in touch with.
I go by there about every 3 or 4 months. Not much happening in the way of pedal steels being built. But they are still open.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 1:12 pm    

at this shop?

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 1:16 pm    

Is that black cloud over the premises photo-shopped?

This is sad - one of the first places I visited when I arrived in the US in 1998 - it was thriving then under Jim and Joanne.

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 1:35 pm    

I guess it's my brain tumor doin the thinking, but wtf, aask whoever the hell u want. If the builder doesn;t provide what u want or is unable to be contacted, ask the guys here. Or do it in reverse and ask here first. IMO this is a rather petty post anyway. Adios DG guess you're a bit touchy today.... Neutral

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 2:29 pm     yes

chris ivey wrote:
at this shop?

That is the building they are in. It has been for sale for over 2 years now. They have a smaller place that they say they are going to move to when the building sells. Emmons guitar co is not for sale that I know of.
I tried to buy it about 6 months ago but got the no not ever speech.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2015 9:05 am    

Chris--It's a JOKE, dude. Although it has turned into an Emmons thread. hee-hee

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2015 9:46 am     my thought

I have wondered this several times.

I have an open phone line, email or whatever. If someone has a problem with a steelseat where ever it came from I try to help. There are 3 or 4 that I can think of that I did not even build that I have worked on.

I saw an example of this a couple years ago and I called the steel builder and gave him the guys number. He called and the guy with that called and thanked me. He was afraid that they would be mad because he bought it used.

Most builders would rather fix it than have a product with their name on it out there with an unhappy customer.

How would it look if there was a pedal steel on stage and a couple of rods hinging down.

Good thread - I would first call the builder and then if they were not in business there is usually someone that rebuilds or at least works on all brands of steel.

My 2 cents worth

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2015 4:17 pm    

DG, After thinking about what I'd written in your thread I realize I was completely out of line with those remarks. It is not my intention to chase you from the forum and your friends. Please accept my apologies. My conduct was inexcusable. Tennessee Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,