The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What to do during the wait?
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2012 9:18 am    

Laughing I never heard theat one before. Thats good!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2012 6:25 pm    

It was in one of those "should I play a 10 or 12" threads.
Slightly ironic that a guy planning to play a Bb6 12 advising someone to stick with 10

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2012 5:43 am    

Lane, I'm sure you logged alot of time on the E9th neck so there is no shame in what you said. Heres a good analogy to that. Every one who started riding a bike as a kid probably started on a tricycle or training wheels than as they got profficint graduated to 2 wheels. for those who started on 2 wheels, it was probably a longer frustrating process for them to learn OR they were gifted and got the hang of it quick. In other words for a new beginner, you ll have funn quicker on a standard E9 10 string neck, if you start with Zanes chromatic tunning you'll probably spin you wheels alot and get frustrated.

Lynn Fargo

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2012 2:25 pm    

Hi John,
Best of luck in your learning venture. I have to agree with the suggestion that you learn theory in regards to the PSG. I have been playing one type of steel or another on and off since I was 8 years old, and never took the time to learn much theory. Now at almost 60 I'm trying to find the time. It'll make understanding and improvising a whole lot easier. I used to play in bands and tried to emulate my favorite players. If I'd known more about theory then, it would have taken me a lot less time to figure out the parts I wanted to play. It's like the difference between taking a cross-country trip with or without a roadmap! There are a number of good courses on PSG theory mentioned on these boards. Check 'em out. Again, best of luck and welcome to the wonderful world of PSG.

Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2012 3:26 pm    

John,

Go for it! I assure you my tuning is much easier to learn that standard E9. Mine is not a chromatic tuning. Actually, steel guitars are not a chromatic instrument whatsoever but that's another debate I suppose. Some of the advice I see here says you can't find instructions on my tuning. I'm available. And I have been for a long time. I can show you in a matter of a couple of hours how to take any instruction for E9 and simply apply to my tuning. You would be surprised how many pickers are out there that have told me that learning my setup has been a much easier approach for them. Let me know if you have any questions.

Zane

Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2012 3:28 pm    

John,

Go for it! I assure you my tuning is much easier to learn that standard E9. Mine is not a chromatic tuning. Actually, steel guitars are not a chromatic instrument whatsoever but that's another debate I suppose. Some of the advice I see here says you can't find instructions on my tuning. I'm available. And I have been for a long time. I can show you in a matter of a couple of hours how to take any instruction for E9 and simply apply to my tuning. You would be surprised how many pickers are out there that have told me that learning my setup has been a much easier approach for them. Let me know if you have any questions.

Zane

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2012 4:55 pm    

My apologies Zane, I thought it may have been a more advanced tunning than E9. It sure does sound good!
Quentin

Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2012 4:50 am    

Quentin,

No worries whatsoever. It is all debatable about what tuning setups are best. I just know that I have had several folks switch from E9 to my tuning that I tell me it has been easier for them. Steel guitars are hard to play regardless of how many strings, levers, and pedals you put on one! Very Happy

Zane

Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2012 5:15 am    

[quote="Zane King"]Quentin,

No worries whatsoever. It is all debatable about what tuning setups are best. I just know that I have had several folks switch from E9 to my tuning that I tell me it has been easier for them. Steel guitars are hard to play regardless of how many strings, levers, and pedals you put on one! Very Happy

Zane[/quote

Not for me,I just take the sculptors approach,just chip away anything that don't sound like music!!! Laughing Laughing

Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2012 5:23 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
My only comment is "not yet."
Instructional materials for that, or any tuning besides E9 or C6, will be rare.

I'd urge you to be comfortable playing the E9 steel, with all the standard techniques, before you start heading down the proverbial roads less traveled. To repeat a metaphor I used a few months ago; Sure, 66 takes you through cool and scenic parts of the country, but all the gas stations, restaurants and repair stations are down on I-40

Nuh' uh',66 still has a buncha gas stations & cafe's,just not on I-44 AKA: new 66.Historic 66 still goes through my home town of Sullivan,Mo.Every summer tourist's travel up & down historic 66 just for nostalgia.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2012 5:41 am    

Zane King wrote:
Quentin,

Zane

Zane, I don't think these things are hard to PLAY. It's about a tough little booger to LEARN. I find my Zum easier to pull music out of than lap steel, Dobro or Tele.

And Ransom, try finding a repair shop west of Gallup on 66 Winking (the stretch from Flag to Barstow was where I drew my metaphor from)