The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  DeWitt "Scotty" Scott, Sr.
Cody Johnson

Cleveland, TN
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2015 1:58 am    

I never made it to the ISGC. I met Scotty on a couple of occasions at the Chattanooga steel show in the early 2000's. He was always so nice and friendly. He was excited to talk ANYTHING steel related no matter how many times it had been discussed before. RIP Scotty

Jerry Reece

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2015 9:41 am    

Sorry to hear of this sad news. My deepest condolences to Scotty's family and close friends. Rest in peace.

Lyle DeHart

Antigo, WI USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2015 6:37 am     Scotty's passing, such horrible news

I am so sorry to hear of Scotty's passing. I had the great honor and privilege of meeting Scotty a few years ago. What a great guy, and one who has done so much for the steel guitar world. My condolences go out to his family and friends. You all are in our thoughts and prayers. RIP in Scotty, you will be deeply missed by thousands in the steel guitar world.

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2015 1:14 pm    

I have neglected the computer for the past week only to open it to this sad thread! Scotty played at a number of conventions in Joliet as well as in Hawaii. I was privileged to play backup r/guitar to his steel on many occasions. He and JB were close friends and I became mixed in somewhere along the way...wonderful times. I can only guess JB and Scotty are blowing up a musical storm right now ? My sincerest condolences to the Scott family. We've lost another gem.

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2015 4:29 pm    

Scotty was a friend to us all, through his love of the Steel Guitar. What a guy.
I picked up a nice Excel from his shop, I'm glad to have had that short interaction with him.

RIP Scotty.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2015 6:48 am    

Scotty's passing leaves a void in our hearts, but he made memories galore possible for thousands of people. We will all miss him terribly. I surely will.

He left an immense legacy behind. Rest in peace, dear friend, knowing you have left this world a better place.

William Radcliffe

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2015 9:47 am     Scotty

As one of many who walked into the store and have the awesome experience of being fully embraced and accepted.
Scotty to this young long haired wanna be pedal steel player downstairs for an impromptu lesson that lasted several hours. May God bless his family and may his memory be for a blessing.

Rose Sinclair

Austin, TX, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2015 8:27 pm    

Scotty was a major force in the world of steel guitar. Condolences to Mary and his family. May he rest in peace.

Steve Becker

Daytona Beach FL
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2015 7:14 am     remembering Scotty

Scotty was nice enough to let me hang out and help out around the shop back when I was first getting started with steel. He was always happy to take time out from his busy day to show me a few licks, or help me with my technique. Great guy, goodwill ambassador, and an inspiration to many...My sympathies to his family.

Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2015 4:35 pm    

I'm not here very often, and I totally missed this news until now. I am so sorry to hear this. Scotty was the best. I loved him dearly, and we always had a great time together whenever we could connect. You will be missed much, ol' buddy. Crying or Very sad

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/

Johnny Case

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2015 9:40 pm    

Scotty was tops as a promoter of steel guitar and the artists who play it, forming the Midland label to issue an impressive catalog of excellent steel guitar albums. In Fort Worth circa 1980, he was giving a clinic (at Steve Lamb's Steel City), and on the mic he acknowledged that I was in attendance. I'll never forget - He told his audience: "You may not be aware that John has issued jazz albums featuring Maurice Anderson and Tom Morrell, and they're burnin'..." He plugged my product when he could have been plugging his own. DeWitt Scott was a nice man, and I can only echo all the wonderful things others have so eloquently stated on the Steel Guitar Forum.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2015 5:29 am    

that is a sad, sad news ... I known Scotty since 1988 when I start playing steel, and visit with him and his family in 1997 at their home in St.Louis for a few days ... he helped me tremendously , sent all the paperwork needed for me to come to US back in 1994, and I had a blast, i will never forget that ... RIP my friend ...

Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2015 11:27 am    

Wow, I haven't checked this section in a long time. This is sad. I used to go to Scotty's when visiting my in-laws in St. Louis. Met and talked with him several times. Very nice man and easy to talk to. RIP Scotty.

Frank Harris

San Diego, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2015 10:33 am     scottys

rest in peace will always remember you and your concern to help me with steel issues.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2015 7:15 pm     A very sad year for the steel community

News seems to always get to me slow out here in Asia.
A very sad year for the steel community indeed.
So many wonderful people have gone now this year.
Hope the lord holds them all in peace.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2016 12:48 pm    

I know that Scotty passed away in September. Sometimes when people die (as they always do, though to me it seems like more often these days), I’m not able to find the right words, particularly if happens to be someone who I knew and who was special to me. It’s like that with Bobby Bowman who was one of my closest friends for over thirty years, and it’s also the case with Scotty whom I didn’t know as well, but who made a big mark on my life.

These are my personal recollections and experiences with him.

To begin with, I know that the style of pedal steel guitar that I play is not universally liked, and there were years when is seemed like from steel guitarists negative responses were all that I heard, but Scotty was always a gentle and supportive voice. When my “Uma” album came out in 2000, I sheepishly sent a copy to Scotty thinking that I’d never hear back from him, but he sent back a kind note that he particularly liked my rendition of “Amazing Grace”.

Two years later, when all of my equipment was stolen from my car (except for the steel guitar which must have been too heavy), Scotty, who barely knew me, sent a new pac-a-seat, picks, cords, etc. - all at cost.

Once in the early 80s I attended the International Steel Guitar Convention in St. Louis where in one room on one day you could see Buddy Emmons, Lloyd Green, Jimmy Day, Hal Rugg, Doug Jernigan, Paul Franklin, Julian Tharpe, Zane Beck, Ralph Mooney (receiving the SGHOF award plaque by Waylon Jennings), Speedy West, Kayton Roberts, and more. So when I was coming up on the steel guitar, it was a dream was to someday be able to play there, to be good enough, to be accepted by my peers.

Twenty-two years later, he invited me to play.

Earlier in the summer that same year, I met Scotty at the Denver Steel Show where I had been invited to perform by Chuck Lettes. My husband and my Denver in-laws, who don’t get out much were there. Scotty walked over to their table, sat down, and chatted with them. He and my mother-in-law old chatted about old (old old) country songs. They were so proud that he came over to their table.

That afternoon while Scotty and I were talking back stage, he told me that the International Steel Guitar Convention has featured all kinds of music, but they were missing one style. “Do you know what that is?” he asked. I said no. Then he responded, “That’s you.” He was probably that nice and affirming to everyone, but I suddenIy felt about ten miles high, like the unfettered joy a child feels after a compliment from her parent or like a beagle responding to “Good dog!”

A couple months later in St. Louis, Scotty and his family were as nice as could be. However, whatever it is that I do didn’t go over well with most of the audience. I started my solo performance with first song, “The Heart Sutra” which is just one note (a C) with octaves and various unisons, then went into a freely improvised section. I had been staring at my steel the whole time, and when I looked up, more than half the audience had left and people were fidgeting. I got through the thirty minutes.

Later I apologized to Scotty, but he said not to think of the people who left, but to think of the people who stayed and who enjoyed the music. He then told me about when the Grateful Dead came to play. Mary added that when the crowd got antsy, Scotty went up and danced onstage to their music.

Scotty was an excellent pedal and non-pedal steel guitarist, but his lasting contribution, as we all know, was bringing the instrument we love to a larger audience, to enable people from all over the world to hear some of the greatest musicians of the steel guitar. To me he was all that, but what I remember most about him was that he was kind - not because he had to be, but because that’s deep inside what he was. I will always miss him.

In Denver:

In St. Louis:

Good bye, Scotty.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Last edited by Susan Alcorn on 10 Jan 2016 1:27 pm; edited 4 times in total

Sandra Scott-Wall

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2016 9:25 am    

Thank you, Susan. Our mother was particularly moved by your kind words. God bless you!

Roy Heap

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2016 1:27 am    

Lovely statement Susan and very true. Scotty really was a genuine gentleman. He was our president of the British Steelies Society for over thirty years and although there are thousands of miles between the States and the UK he was always ready to help me in many ways with the running of the BSS. When I wanted written contribution for our newsletter it was always there in no time even before the email, the airmail letters would be over in no times to a request from me plus anything else I required. So like yourself and many others I certainly miss him a lot.

Roy Heap (BSS )

Bob Ricker

Nashville Tn
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 5:46 pm    

I was driving through St. Louis the other day and went across the Poplar Street bridge and saw the hotel on the river front and thought about Scotty.

I got to thinking about what a "dream" and what an "accomplishment" Scotty achieved.

Way back when Scotty had the idea of having Pedal Steel guitar players come to St, Louis and folks would watch and be entertained, it would have probably been more believable if he had said he was going to walk up the Arch to the top or become the mayor of St. Louis.

He made his dream come true and players and fans came from all over the world. Scotty, it was a great idea, Thanks!