The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A dumb comment about steel guitar...
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 7:49 am    

Summary: Steel guitarists chose the steel guitar because there is nothing to memorize, no chords or anything else to memorize, just slide the bar around. Steel guitarists are basically quitters who gave up on standard guitar and opted for something easier. 🙄

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 7:58 am    

Doug, one of my favorite sayings applies here - "You can't fix stupid."

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 8:01 am    

Good one, Dave!

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 8:04 am    

If that was true, there would (should?) be a LOT more 'lap slide' players around.. Smile

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 8:07 am    

Stupid people....REALLY stupid people....used to be marginalized. And rightly so. The internet, especially localized to the Youtube comment sections, has given them a voice and a pulpit. 'tis a grim not too distant present in which we live.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 8:26 am    

Ingorance is bliss...

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 8:36 am    

In this case you probably can fix stupid- an ignorant person asked
you a question.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 8:37 am    

Maybe I can share my eharp spread sheets with this guy.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 8:50 am    

I replied to his comment shortly after he posted it. I referenced the pedal steel because he had commented on a pedal steel video.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 9:58 am    

They would probably also say French horn and bassoon must be easy, no hand position shifts like guitar!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 10:12 am    

This statement is so dumb and uninformed that it doesn't deserve a response. I wouldn't give it another thought.

Dave Mudgett

Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 10:37 am    

Quote:
In this case you probably can fix stupid- an ignorant person asked you a question.

Perhaps - I do try to distinguish between ignorance and stupidity. Maybe my take on youtube comments biases me.

I guess if the commenter responds with anything intelligent, we'll see. But, to me, the preamble makes this sound more like a rhetorical question, if not an outright trolling.

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 11:01 am    

Sure- if we want to assume intent on social media comments, it's gonna be a tough life- superficially this fella's literally asking if his supposition (para-phrased as a declarative statement by the op) is right or wrong. If the intent is indeed trolling, not bad, not bad.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 11:03 am    

Dave Mudgett wrote:

Perhaps - I do try to distinguish between ignorance and stupidity...............

It could be two mints in one!
The statement is simply ignorant. And I'm inclined to view most people who comment on YT is inherently stupid.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 11:05 am    

I left my own response to the guy. As usual I was less polite than you.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 12:02 pm    

That's the funniest thing I have read in years.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open E slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 12:34 pm    

Obviously…..yeah. Speaking only for myself.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 12:37 pm     Stupid

Well you can tell he’s sat behind a steel guitar many times! 😳😳😳

David Rattray

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 12:45 pm     Humour

Doug who says we can't have a little humour...snort... Laughing ...

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 2:13 pm    

No wonder Buddy made it look so simple,…it is!…lol!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 2:52 pm    

Lap slide? So that's what he thinks it is? Commenting on playing technique of an instrument that you can't even name says volumes. I had a friend that thought Dobro playing was pretty simplistic; all he'd ever heard was Shot Jackson and Deacon Brumfield. I played him a Jerry Douglas tape, and last I saw him, his jaw was still on the floor. Laughing

Dave Mudgett

Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 2:55 pm    

I know that ascribing intent based on the written word can be difficult. But there are things about the tone of this comment on Doug's youtube page that form the foundation of my comments about it.

I have had quite a number of good guitarists state to me, in-person but in a truly questioning way, in so many words, "I keep hearing steel guitar is tough. But what's so tough about it?". I always tell them - here's the bar, picks if you want 'em, have at it." I have lent steels out, both with and without pedals. The majority give it back a while later with a comment something like, "This is a very frustrating instrument." And some decide to take up the instrument. But the way these people approached me, and the way they asked the questions, was totally different than what I perceive is the very smart-assed way this comment to Doug was put. And in a very public, provocative, and IMO insulting way.

On 'assuming' intent - I personally find much if not most of the type of anonymous internet discourse typified by youtube comments to be below where I want to be. So I often find it necessary to filter comments and their authors out based on the words that they write. Otherwise, my life would, most definitely, be "a tough life." So yes - it does sometimes come down to ascribing intent. I don't "assume" intent - but I only have their words, and I really feel the need to make decisions about what to read, what to take seriously, and what I should blow off, based just on those words.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 3:00 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Lap slide? So that's what he thinks it is? Commenting on playing technique of an instrument that you can't even name says volumes. I had a friend that thought Dobro playing was pretty simplistic; all he'd ever heard was Shot Jackson and Deacon Brumfield. I played him a Jerry Douglas tape, and last I saw him, his jaw was still on the floor. Laughing

My friend and band leader wanted me to get a dobro for some duet gigs. I started playing like 15 years ago but had to sell my dobros to pay bill. He told Me that it had to be easier than the PSG. He never understood that playing PSG doesn't mean you can pick up a dobro and wail away. I got myself a regal this year, and a lot of what I learned 15 years ago is coming back to me. There are surely people who have no clue.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open E slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.

Michael Sawyer

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 3:42 pm    

Lol i betcha a steel picker stole his gal along the way...🐒

John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2021 5:35 pm    

When I was a young lad growing up in a catholic grade school I always wanted to learn to play guitar but the teachers who were nun's, pushed me into learning piano, saying that it would be so much easier to learn than guitar. At the time they were probably correct.
As I got older learning guitar was always in the back of my mind, so I taught myself. To this day though I always find it difficult changing from chord to chord with any kind of speed with my left hand and it was frustrating so I gave it up.
Now I play my favorite instrument Steel Guitar & don't have to worry about fingering chords, but there is so much other stuff going on. I agree with the previous comments. It definitely is not easier but a lot more fun.