The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any opinions of the "Rains" Guitar?
Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 2 May 2005 3:20 am    

I've had some suggestions that I check out the Rains Steel guitar and I was wondering how many forumites are playing one and what their opinions might be? Thanks

Rick

Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2005 6:25 am    

I played around on one last week. I was happy with the level of "squeeze" on the pedals. I don't care for flimsey pedal. it had good acion and the tone is great. They are very comparable to a Zum or Mullen which, I think, is the market they need to target.Good solid guitar with a competitive price.

------------------
Steelin' away in the ozarks and life,
Scott
www.scottyhenderson.com

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2005 6:44 am    

I too tried one out in Siloam Springs last week end and I loved the "Spirit Model", it had beautiful "Dove" fretboard markers. It felt and sounded great. The "Spirit" model is on my wishlist.
Jerry

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 2 May 2005 7:00 am    

I looked them over at the Texas show. They seem to be well constructed and have a good fit and finish. What I did not like,although they may have corrected it by now, were the pedal and knee lever stops. A philps head bolt was being used for a stop,which may be OK, but the head of the bolt was being used as the stop. There was no room to get a screwdriver between the head of the screw and the knee lever. It may be just me, but I like an allen screw with a locknut with easy access. The guitars played well and did have a good sound. They are also great people to speak with.

[This message was edited by Morton Kellas on 02 May 2005 at 08:01 AM.]

Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 2 May 2005 7:15 am    

Thanks guys! That spirit model is what I have my eye on. I'll also try to find out if their pedal/knee stop design is fixed. I like a guitar thats easy to work on too. I've heard that they really have a special tone. I love the doves on the neck and front.

Rick

[This message was edited by Rick Garrett on 02 May 2005 at 08:39 AM.]

Bill Simmons

Keller, Texas/Birmingham, AL, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 May 2005 9:16 am    

I have a beautiful sounding and playing RAINS SD-10 4+5 "Gospel" model (The Spirit!) that is a killer for tone and playability. (Yes, I still love my '79 Zum and yes, I still believe everyone is making a great steel!)

I chose a single coil (17,800 ohm) pickup and it was recently compared side by side to one of the ultimate and classic brands noted for its tone and it was right in the ballpark. My Rains has a clear, sweet tone with great full sounding low end...great tone.

Bobby Rains and Gary Carpenter were so open and excited when I asked about producing a Gospel model (The Spirit!). The fret board has a sharp looking 'dove' for fret symbols and on the front. I'm very excited about the Gospel model in addition to the RAINS 'Ultimate' series.

The Rains website is being updated...in the meantime, I'd be happy to send some pictures of my Rains "Gospel Model" -- The Spirit! -- or of their "Ultimate" series. By the way, Gary Carpenter has my Rain playing so smooth and it is very quiet regarding the knee levers clicking or pedal slop...check them out or email me for more information.

[This message was edited by Bill Simmons on 02 May 2005 at 10:21 AM.]

Bob Tuttle

Republic, MO 65738
Post  Posted 2 May 2005 9:34 am    

Hi Rick,
I've had my Rains SD-10 since last November,and it is, without a doubt, the best sounding guitar I've ever played in my 55 years of playing steel guitar. The sustain is unbelievable.

I've never had a problem with the knee lever stops. The stops are very solid and positive. If you need to adjust the travel, just loosen the lock nut, turn the screw with your fingers, and retighten the nut. You won't need a screwdriver.

I like mine so well, that I just ordered a new D-10. Whether you're talking about steel guitars or any other product, everyone has their favorite brands. It would be a pretty boring world if everyone liked the same thing. But, in my opinion, you can't go wrong with a Rains.

Adrienne Clasky

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2005 9:34 am    

Now you have me curious--though I'd planned to save for a Carter. How much does a Rains cost? Thanks!

Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 2 May 2005 10:22 am    

I just spoke with Mr. Rains this morning and the one I'm looking at is an SD 10 blue birds eye laminate (if they can get it) with 4 pedals and 5 knee levers. I really like the looks of those Doves!!

Thanks for the imput Bill and Bobby! I appreciate the pics too Bill. Great looking guitar.

Rick

Bill Simmons

Keller, Texas/Birmingham, AL, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 May 2005 11:20 am    

Thanks Rick! Glad you checked out the Rains...the blue mica sample I saw at Gary Capenter's was very sharp...Bill

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 2 May 2005 5:46 pm    

Rick,im realy glad I sent you that e-mail about the Rains Steel Guitar.
It looks like your in good hands there in Texas.
The Rains Steel Guitar is a fast growing family of steel players that is growing every week.You won't go wrong with one of their Steel Guitars.

------------------
Fred Justice
Rains Steel Guitars

[This message was edited by Fred Justice on 02 May 2005 at 07:45 PM.]

Ken Higgins

Canyon Tx
Post  Posted 3 May 2005 3:47 am    

Great guitars......

Randall Palmore

Albany,TX USA 76430
Post  Posted 3 May 2005 3:34 pm    

Rick-I'm happy to report that I took delivery on a new Rains D10 about 3 weeks ago and so far, I couldn't be happier! This is a beautiful shiny black guitar that plays and sounds terrific(in my opinion). Even though the principals of this new steel guitar building company have been friends for mine for many years and I personally observed the developement of the Rains from the beginning, I was somewhat apprehensive at first to make a purchase. I thought "Why would Bobby get in the arena with the great builders of today!" I've always known that he was perfectionist on pushpull setups,a great player of many guitars, etc.I also have known James Foster(who was initially involved) to be a master craftsman,player and knitpicker of any steel guitar! And finally, you put Gary in the mix who I believe to be one of the most talented humans that I know of either making music, working on a guitar or remodeling a house or anything else and BAM! you have one outstanding instrument!Bobby has taken all the features of all the different guitars that I have owned and kind of wrapped them up into one guitar! I've only played a couple jobs with our regular group,but I'm pretty sure I turned their heads with the TONE. There are so many great guitars being built today,but right now I'm a Rains guy. I like the colored rain drop fretboard! Bobby, Gary and the Rains Gang-as my kids say-Awesome!RP

[This message was edited by Randall Palmore on 03 May 2005 at 05:46 PM.]

[This message was edited by Randall Palmore on 03 May 2005 at 05:48 PM.]

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 3 May 2005 10:09 pm    

Hey, I have to put my 2 cents in also. I have had my Rains Double 10 with 9 pedals and 8 knees for 15 months now. The tone is absolutely the best I have been able to emit from a guitar. It stays in tune, and plays like soft butter! (to me that'excellent) I onw the 3rd guitar Bobby made, and it's staying in my possession. You won't regret it if you get one! Bobby is a long time friend who knows what he is talking about in reference to steels, and Gary Carpenter is Top Notch in playing and probably even more so at the building end. He impresses me!
They are here to stay!
Good Luck in your choosing.
Larry Toliver

Charlie Shifflett

Colorado City, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2005 8:03 am    

Hi all you steelers
I played a rains steel two or three times an
man that a great guitar I play a emmons p/p
a great guitar but that rains cought my eye
and my next guitar. you can't find a better guitar.
Charlie

GARYPHILLIPS

SOMERSET, OHIO ,PERRY
Post  Posted 5 May 2005 5:40 pm    

hey Guys, I have a new red D-10 Rains coming next week, I'm building the cases for the Rains Steels, I think this is a great steel also,

------------------
Gary Phillips
JUST-N-CASE PLUS
D-10 8/5 Desert Rose Steel Guitar

John Cook

Sarasota, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2005 6:48 pm    

Can anybody please post pix of the Spirit model? They don't show it on their website. thanx jc

------------------
Derby D10
Fender Steel King

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 6 May 2005 5:04 am    

John,the Spirit model is on the website under Players Guitars,I think its the first one up.
Also,drum-roll please*************************
"Russ Hicks" will be playing his new Rains Spirit model this weekend at the Gospel Steel Guitar Show in Indy,a shinny black SD-10,go gettem Russ.

------------------
Fred Justice
Rains Steel Guitars

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 6 May 2005 5:19 am    

up please

John Cook

Sarasota, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2005 7:13 am    

Thanks Fred. jc

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2005 9:41 am    

Fred,
Russ told me a few weeks back he was considering a Rains. I'd like to check yours out in Chattanooga. See you there.
Roger

Doyle Mitchell

Loraine, Texas
Post  Posted 6 May 2005 11:10 am    

I have the third guitar Rains built. I got it one year ago . I love the way it sounds and plays but foremost of all I love the way it stays in tune! What a pleasure to sit down and play without having to tune every few songs. Also a great convience for me that Rains is only a few miles from me if I should have any kind of problem down the line. I thought this would be the last guitar I would need to buy before retiring but they are coming up with so many more styles and such that I may have to have another........ probably followed closely by a divorce....... others out there probably understand where I am coming from!!! Last week we did some recording for Claude Gray's upcoming TV show in Dallas, Boo Miller was playing steel, he has a truly great sounding Mullens, there are many great guitars out there, I think it is a personal preference, but the Rains has everything I am looking for in a steel. Theres only one way to find out if its right for you, take one for a test drive...... Happy hunting!!

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2005 4:40 pm    

Doyle, what show with Claude are you talking about?

Klaus Caprani

Copenhagen, Denmark
Post  Posted 7 May 2005 3:08 am    

I wonder where our Dutch friend Cor is? Didn't he just got a Rains?

------------------
Klaus Caprani

MCI RangeXpander S-10 3x4
www.klauscaprani.com

Doyle Mitchell

Loraine, Texas
Post  Posted 7 May 2005 6:11 am    

Chris, Claude is working on a TV show that he hopes to have ready to go by Sept. I believe it will be called "Claude Gray's music USA". They shot some footage in Dallas last week. Lets hope he can get this going his way because he will bring true country music back to the airways with the steel shinning like a diamond. He had some Ft. Worth and Dallas musicians there that played our music like it was meant to be played. He came to see us Thursday and stayed over and sang on a little Opry show we do here in Colorado City twice a month and we made plans to film one of the shows in our old movie theatre that we do our opry show in. I will let you know the date when I know myself, maybe you would like to come to the filming.