The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Converting Music Over To ?????
Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2007 8:43 pm    

I have a Harman Kardon bought off the forum, you can set it to anolog, play anything through my Technics Stereo Reciever to the Harmon via anolog, at the end of each section or song press track incr and Next number comes up. It will copy anything you play into it as a CD.
All my lesons have been converted and the org. are on file if I need a back up, I use the converted lessons and the org, only once.
Also a Panasonic VHS to DVD, also DVD to VHS, all lesons converted as the others, only use the copies and file the org.
This way you can reproduce copy pro. They are not for sale but to private use only. As long as they are used as such should not be a problem as being legal.

Just a thought if you want more ease of use with track numbers for replay.

ernie

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2007 8:45 am    

I agree - it's straightforward to convert analog recordings to digital. There are many inexpensive and easy ways to do this - video capture cards, DVD recorders with analog input sections, or an all-in-one like this. I have a Pinnacle video capture card, which comes with some pretty sophisticated video editing software. Coupled with a good sound card, I can do way more than I'll ever have time to.

I agree that most digital formats are more convenient. One advantage of digitizing yourself is that you can generally control where the chapter breaks are. One can often just set recorders or software to automatically insert chapter breaks every so many minutes to make it easy to do. Most DVDs I've seen have good production on this, but not all. I also agree that it's a good idea to file away the original source and play the digital recording.

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2007 9:31 am    

Dave-Very interesting post. You write some pretty good ones. I have 100 cassettes tapes and a few videos of steel and have that problem. I have to listen to each one, write down the name and my comments. Sometimes I groan with some of the bad sound or bad playing, but once in while a good one pops up and that helps make it worthwhile. I wish I had equipment that could mark each track so I gcould go rigtht to the decent ones, that would be a nice feature, without rewinding and taking all that time to do. But you have to admit that digital is pretty convenient....al.Smile

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2007 2:17 pm    

I have a few six-string instructional DVDs that were originally released as VHS tapes on the "Hotlicks" series in the 90's. The originals seemed pretty much worthless to me - unless you're real adept with the rewind button - but on DVD they can loop short sections, play them at half speed, and with a few notes to yourself you can go right to what you were working on the day before. I've been having a lot of fun with "The Definitive Steve Morse" and dewy young Brent Mason's "Nashville Chops and Western Swing Guitar."

(I also really like Brent's PG Music "Guitar Star" program that actually installs on your computer, as recommended by Eric West - follow the bouncing fingers.) Alas, I have a recent John McLaughlin 3-DVD set where their idea of "intermediate" is so ridiculous even half-speed can't save me, at least yet.... I guess everybody's intermediate, between some place and another.... Crying or Very sad