The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help info in recording church sermons correctly
Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2007 5:13 am    

We presently have a small program where I record the sermons on a cd then copy them and mail to from 7 to 10 individuals each week. I am considering going to dvd's -- I could use some imput or suggestions-- What type of camera with zoom (not top of the line, expensive)--what format should I use so that those that do not have dvd players could still hear the audio in their cd players and in cars ? I presently have a 7 cd duplicator that works well--Is the same available in a dvd duplicator ? Would appreciate all comments and suggestions. Thanks, Bill.

Donny Dennis

Atlanta, Texas
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2007 6:06 pm     Help info in recording church sermons correctly

Bill, It is difficult for me to advise you on the type of camera to buy as there are so many models to select from. I think it is safe to say that all camcorders have wide angle/zoom lens but some are more powerful than others or have better resolution. I personally use a Panasonic Mini DV (Digital Video) camcorder that has a 30X Optical Zoom lens. My camcorder also has a still photo feature that allows me to take still photos using a memory card. May I suggest that you take a look at the Best Buy web site. Below is a Panasonic camcorder that is similar to mine, and very reasonably priced at $249.99, from Best Buy.

In regard to DVD/CD duplication Musicians Friend has the DVD/CD duplicator pictured below on sale for $895, but it is backordered. As I recall it will duplicate 4 or 5 DVDs or CDs at a time that are not copy protected.

The Sweetwater web site also has a DVD/CD duplicator on sale for $359.97 with free shipping but will only duplicate one DVD/CD at a time. Again, it will only duplicate DVDs/CDs that are not copy protected.

Hope this helps.

Donny

Bill Myrick

Post  Posted 23 Jul 2007 3:14 am    

Thanks Donny--it certainly does help and we have a large Best Buy here in N.W. Arkansas. I have been buying printable cd's and printing our own cd's. I assume printable DVD's are also available ?? I want to be sure that the final format will play in both dvd and cd players as some may not have the dvd players and also some use them while driving in their car. I am awfully green on what formats do what. Also I will have to convert the camera info into a suitable dvd to use in the duplicator. I have a late model HP and running Vista Supreme. Any help on what program's easiest for that anyone ? Thanks, Bill.

Donny Dennis

Atlanta, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2007 1:21 pm     Help info in recording church sermons correctly

Bill, am not sure what you mean by printable CD's and printable DVD's. I am no expert on CD/DVD production so I have several software programs that are relatively inexpensive and easy to use, and give good results. My camcorder is a Panasonic Mini-DV Model PV-GS59, that I bought from Best Buy last year. It records on JVC MiniDV 60 tape. Like I mentioned above it has both wide angle and 30X Optical Zoom lens that allows me to take still photos using a memory card. I can download my tapes to my personal computer using either a 1EEE fire wire or USB cable. I prefer the 1EEE fire wire because it works well with the software program that I use to edit/produce DVDs. This software program is Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus Version 9.4.3. I think the latest version is 10 or 11. The DVDs that I use are Maxell DVD-R, and the CDs that I use are Memorex CD-R. I have buying my DVDs and CDs at the local Wal-Mart here in Atlanta, and have had good results most of the time. One of the guys from the Best Buy Geek Squad in Texarkana told me once that it is best to use DVD-R DVDs and CD-R CDs when doing prodution work because that's what the early DVD players and CD players used, and these will play in most if not all DVD/CD players. The -R DVDs/CDs both play well in the DVD players in my living/bedroom. I have never tried playing a DVD in the CD player that is in my pickup truck so I can't advised you there. When you go to your local Best Buy store you might also ask a sales associate about camcorders that use mini DVD disks. I don't know how much they cost but if there isn't too much difference in the cost, and the results are suitable to you then that might be an easier way to go. If you do decide that you want to go with one of these just make sure it will enable you to produce DVDs and CDs that will also be compatible with the DVD/CD duplicator machine that you will be using.

Another DVD software program that you might be interested in is Nero. I don't have this program but one of the Texarkana Best Buy sales associates told me once that it is a very good program, and I seem to recall that it costs approximately $70.00.

Again, hope this helps. If I can be of further assistance please don't hesitate to ask.

Donny

Donny Dennis

Atlanta, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2007 1:58 pm     Help info in recording church sermons correctly

Bill, have copied/pasted the ad from the Best Buy official web site decribing Nero 7 Ultra Edition Enhanced software.

Reg. Price: $99.99
You Save: $10.00
Sale: $89.99

On Sale

Shipping: Usually leaves our warehouse in 1 business day
Estimate arrival time.

Store Pickup: Available at most stores Select preferred store availability

Nero 7 Ultra Edition Enhanced - Windows

Release Date: 8/22/2006

Number of : 1

Publisher: Nero

Release Date: 8/22/2006

Overview

We are now living in the heart of the digital age. Nero 7 Ultra Edition Enhanced takes it to the next level by giving you more options with the digital media you already have. With 20 applications in one, this software will change the way you live. It's now easier then ever to perform all the functions you want with your digital entertainment.

Nero 7 Ultra Edition Enhanced works with just about all of your digital media, including audio files, audio players, photos, videos, TVs, home theater systems and data storage devices. Turn CDs into MP3s, create custom DVDs with 3D menu options, turn your PC into a PVR, back up your digital files and much more. With Nero 7 Ultra Edition Enhanced, you're living in the future of digital media.

Features

Rip audio CDs onto your computer, enabling you to create playlists, mixes and more

Convert video from digital cameras, camcorders and TV tuner cards to be watched and edited on your PC

Create DVDs with 2D and 3D animated menus for a professional-quality look

Add music to your photos and videos to create entertaining slideshows

Use a remote control to access, watch and burn all your digital media files

Nero Backup Wizard provides system backup, giving you security over all your important files

Transforms your mobile phone into a mobile media center, adding a variety of digital options

Nero Sipps allows for free PC-to-PC calling

Add video files to your Apple® iPod™ video or PSP, so you can watch movies on the go

Again, please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Donny

Donny Dennis

Atlanta, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2007 4:54 pm     Help info in recording church sermons correctly

Bill, another option that will help to keep the cost down is to just buy a DVD recorder that you can connect to a television. The Wal-Mart web site has a good selection of DVD recorders with the lowest price starting around $99.00, and your local Wal-Mart probably has a good selection of DVD recorders as well. If you choose to go this route you could connect a camcorder to the DVD recorder which would be connected to a television, and then you would be in business. I don't think that you would be able to do any editing this way unless some of the more expensive models provide this capability but at least you could produce DVDs/CDs at a relatively low cost. Then with a DVD/CD duplicator you could produce additional copies. Also, am not positive but believe that the Nero 7 Ultra Edition Enhanced software provides the capability to produce additional copies by first saving the original DVD as an image. Afterwards, you should be able to "burn" as many copies as desired but it would only be one copy at a time. Even so it shouldn't take over 45 - 60 minutes to "burn" 7 to 10 copies.

Donny

Donny

Bill Myrick

Post  Posted 24 Jul 2007 4:14 am    

Thanks so much for all this great info guys--I should be able to make it work one way or the other now. Nero sounds like a good program. What I meant by "printable" dvd's are ones with plain white tops that are designed to go through my HP Photosmart printer to print our own background and titles on the disc's. I now do that with the cd's and I bet they sell dvd's that are the same way. I also have lightscribe in my computer but it is too slow and I like the printer quality much better anyway. Again, thanks---I appreciate it. Bill.

Larry Kinner

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2007 6:07 am     Church recording

Bill, Go to www.kingdom.com they have just about any cd/dvd application around. watch it their super low cost cd/dvds some recorders won't recognize them. We ran into that with our HHB. After it was a year old it quit recogizing the cds. Something that appears common with them. We went to a better grade and everything is fine now.