The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Don't forget to BACK UP those tracks often...
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2007 6:10 am    

well the worst that could happen, DID..right in the middle of final tracks on a new project. DISK error.
the 3.5 HD I was using has a PHYSICAL error, the worst kind. It doesn't spin anymore. good grief.

Yeh I know, I can send it out and recover the data, which I probably will do but the truth is I can probably re-record everything I need in a the course of a day or so, the one bad thing is we had a GREAT vocal track from my wife on one of the tunes.

So the moral to the story is...

Drum Roll Please....

BACKUP often...

Don't take it for granted that the next time you power up it will actually POWER UP.

I guess I may contemplate after all upgrading the Yamaha AW2816, which I really love to a new unit which has the USB interface for VERY easy and fast back up.

tp

Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2007 3:38 pm    

Thanks for the reminder.
I had to replace a hard drive on my 2816 coupla years ago. It was not that difficult. But loading the backup files was a real pain. So slow.

IS there a practical way to make use of the SCSI connector?

Ron

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2007 4:48 am    

Ron writes;

"Is there a practical way to make use of the SCSI connector?"

Yeh, get another recorder with USB 2.0 !

I really like this AW2816 and I am considering an upgrade to the AW2400 which has all the NEW bells and whistles for talking directly to a PC.

Concerning the Hard Drive, I actually have a few 20gig'ers for this unit and I swap them out for various projects, the bad news was the one I was using and NEEDED at the moment, decided to take a hike Sad

dang electronics...

At least with tape you could spend your whole day re-spooling and rewinding onto another Reel or into another cassette Smile

uhh...and then do it again because it was backwards:(

tp

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2007 5:32 am    

Tony, the same thing happened to me 2 months ago with over a years worth of work, and several thousand dollars of investment. Fortunately I did back it up to other hard drives so I was able to retrieve it. Man that was a scarry moment wondering if the backups worked! As cheap as DVDs are it's good to back up to those so you have a hard copy also.

After reading your thread that's what I'm doing right now. Shocked

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2007 7:33 am    

Randy, I know CD's are cheap, but so am I.

I'm waiting until they are 1 cent each..Sad

I have started the re-recording process of a tune I had been working on, it's a good thing I know it well!

and yes, I am backing it up as I go ..twice...

Looking forward to your new project in St Louis..

tp

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2007 12:41 pm    

There is simply no excuse for not backing up studio sessions. It costs about a hundred bucks for a backup hard drive. Once someone has dozens or hundreds of hours of work in a project, it's simply inexcusable to NOT have a back-up drive to protect the data. Drives DO fail sometimes, and most of the time it's very, very expensive or impossible to recover all of it. I've learned this the hard way, so I have no problem sharing the wisdom. It's too much of a hassle to burn sessions to CD-R or DVD-R. Simply hook up a second hard drive via USB2 or Firewire, and at the end of every session, simply copy everything over to the backup drive. It's quick, easy, and a true lifesaver.

Brad

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2007 6:52 am     Amen Brothers !

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2007 1:56 am    

are you guys talking to me ?

nice sign Joey ..Sad

Well, today I bought a MAXTOR 160G USB drive and an external USB Hard Drive holder.

Hopefully this is the first and only time I will ever to start a "Back up your Data" thread...

I also bought a Boss Micro BR..I had to get something to make the day worthy and end it on a HIGH note !

Cool unit, not Steel friendly out of the box but can be made to be VERY Steel friendly with minimal effort, which actually requires reading the dang manual !There is NO OUT OF THE BOX patch that is good for the Steel, they are all dirty , nasty and crunchy patches for the Guitars. But it can be done, clean with Delay and Reverb is in there. I bought this not for recording but to be used as a daily PRACTICE studio. Well worth the money but it does need some input effects editing to get it to be Steel friendly.

And it also uses an SD card so it doesn't spin and won't STOP spinning someday like the Workstation HD did Smile

I have also backed up song files to the PC and sent them back to the BR as well. Boy was that easy .

tp