The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Finding Add-On parts for Fender Artist Series?
Clyde Hannah

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2007 9:40 am    

Hi Fellas!
I would love to find the parts for my Fender Arsist Student 10 string to crave my tinker habit!!!

The posted info Ive read here (about 5 or 6 threads) about the Artist series is awsome!

Has anyone ever pealed away the black tolex stuff to find a surface worth staining?

Mines starting to chip away in spots...

Clyde

Fred Bova

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2007 12:12 am    

Yup, I pulled mine off, there was Birds Eye Maple that was just waiting fot a simple Top Coat. Looks Great.

Benton Allen

Muscle Shoals, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2007 4:33 am    

Hey Clyde

I'm not sure, but there may be a law against wearing those pants while playing your steel!

Cheers!! Laughing

Bob Hickish

Port Ludlow, Washington, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2007 5:24 am    

Clyde

Sho-Bud parts will work on that one . if you have a hacksaw & a file
you can make your own parts . the cross shafts can be made with the
long shaft Allen wrench . the pull rods can be made from welding rod .
The one I have is now a 3 -- 4
Grate little guitar ! noisy and a little stiff in the action but light weight .
I don't know about what's under the tolex , but it does look like Maple .

Hick

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2007 5:25 am    

I think I mentioned in another thread that your guitar is not an "Artist" model, it's a "Student S-10". The "Artist" models had real necks (not a wood "box with a flat top), were based on Shobud pro guitars and take a lot of the same parts; the student is a Shobud Maverick, which is a non-expandable, non-modifiable budget guitar (you CAN modify them - but it's major surgery and only for those that know steel mechanics and can fabricate parts).

I had one and found it was not worth modifying - it's just not a pro-quality instrument. Fixed legs, fixed changer, no added knee lever kits, cabinet drop problems, and limited to the basic E9 - but lacking the standard 3 or 4 additional knee levers.

They seem to have a small amount of collector interest - and pulling off the tolex will destroy that completely and devalue the guitar. It might be a $500 guitar now, but stripped and stained it's a collector's boat anchor.

If you want to tinker, you really need an upgraded guitar with parts avaialability. The Shobud Pro-1 and up models aren't made any longer but several people make parts; in the mid price range the GFI student is a close-to-pro guitar that can have things added.

But this, IMO (having owned one and being a Fender freak) is just the wrong platform for both tinkering...AND playing. As mentioned in another thread, the basic books (that will get you pointed in the right direction for the country-rock stuff you want to play) require at jminimum abasic two knee lever setup...and four is really considered bare-bones by most players and instructors.

I'm saying all this even though I play mainly old 8-string Fenders and pretty much dance to my own drummer...but for most players that type of guitar will be a hindrance to advancement.

If it were me, I'd sell it for $500+ and invest a few hundred more in even a used guitar of better quality. I think you'll get real frustrated very quickly with what you have.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Bob Hickish

Post  Posted 15 Jun 2007 6:11 am    

Jim
Your right about that being a student mod. But thats what Clyde
said it was . I wish I hand known about all the thing you mentioned ,
I would not have bothered modifying this one , some 30 years ago .

With stops added it worked quite well as a pull release system . it
is a little odd in tuning . the 4th and 8th string E have to be tuned
in the lowered position D# and E tuned at the end plate . other than that
its been a grate little go anywhere guitar . you can even take to the mud
fights , and when you get home , just hose it off .

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2007 10:21 am    

Sure, the mods can be done, as I said, if you can fabricate things yourself.

It just seems like a lot of time and money wasted on a relatively cheap guitar with mediocre components. It'd be more cost effective...at least to me...to sell it and spend a little more on a better quality guitar. Adding those parts doesn't get you anything better than a homebrew version of a Carter Starter - which IMO is a better guitar than the Fender/Shobud student model. Financially it doesn't make sense to me.

Fred Bova

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2007 9:55 am    

Jim, your wrong.
Do your homework.
Look it up on the forum, long thread.

This is NOT a Maverick.

And they are easly upgraded and changed.
I added a 2nd knee lever (Super Pro part) to my "student" model, and changed it over to DAY copedent in about 30 mins.

No hacksaw, or chewing gum needed.

Just the parts and a screwdriver.

The Fender/Sho-Bud uses ShoBud Super Pro parts.
In fact it used them BEFORE there was a Super Pro.

Fender paid for all the R&D and then Sho-Bud used the tech for the Super Pro.

Super Pro parts are avail. , I know I got some and upgraded my Student model. No hacksaw, or chewing gum needed. Just the parts and a scwrewdriver.

Fine little guitar.

And the comment about "Real Neck",?

What, raising all of the componants up on a 1/2" riser constatutes a "PRO" guitar?

What about the new "Blackjack", is this junk also?

Yes it saves money to not have to raise everything up on a 1/2" riser. But the riser is there for add to the attractive design, and "possible" hand comfort.

It has nothing to do with it being a better mousetrap.

By the way, a Maverick can a fine starting psg in my opinion,as a LOT of music can be made with just the A,B,C pedals, and Pull/Release changer guitars sound very good. But, that is another thread or two.

I love my "Student" model, made by Sho-Bud, out of Birdseye Maple, with the sound of a classic Fender PSG.

But of course, I am just a "student" as I still have not learned all there is to play on just the A,B,C, pedals.

Maybe someday when I grow up, if I'm worthy, I will get a PSG with a Raised neck.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2007 11:16 am    

Fred, I'll stand by what Blackie Taylor told me when I took mine to his shop, and what others have related over the years, and the fact that the changer and mechanics on mine wer 100% identical to the "shelf paper" Maverick model; the Fender student model was basically Maverick mechanics in a wood box body covered in black tolex, and a Fender amplifier grill logo stuck on for "name brand" identification. Unless someone has a Student S-10 with different parts on it, the stock ones (the one I owned and several others I've seen) had the "non modifieable" Maverick guts (I use that term because it's a mechanical system that was not compatible with Shobud knee levers or other add-on parts). OTOH, The Artist models are known to be conpatible with Shobud add-on parts.

I'm sure if Super-pro parts could have been added on Blackie would have suggested it at the time - he wasn't trying to force a new guitar on me, was simply saying what I had and what the modification limits were. Maybe you're was made differently,or modified later...or maybe you're absolutely right and it DOES take Super-pro parts - however, even if Blackie was wrong, it would STILL be a cheaply-made student model, and I think I have a valid point regarding investing time and money in such a guitar when that money coul be put into a better instrument instead.

Some of these guitars might be OK, and maybe adding parts helps stabilize it - but mine was wobbly, the "cabinet" flexed quite a bit, the fixed legs were a problem (with no extension kits around at that time) and the changer/pedals had very limited possibilities for adjustment. Maybe I got a lemon, but it's still a basic beginner guitar, and spending a load of money/time fabricating parts to expand/upgrade it seems unwise - to me. But someone may well enjoy doing it, which there's certainly nothing "wrong" with.

However, when a new player has a guitar like this and wants to know about modifying it I think it's only fair to mention what type on instrument it generally is, and point out that it's certainly not a wise investment financially (i.e. the investment in parts won't be recovered if the instrument is sold later). I would also veture to say not many players would jump in and claim this is a top-quality...or even intermediate-quality...guitar. Playable? Sure. Heck, Bobbe Seymour reportedly took a Maverick on tour once just to prove a point. But Bobbe could put strings on a 1x6, use a bicycle brake lever as a changer and get away with it!

It's only my opinion - but if the guy asking wants a guitar with "normal" capabilities, my opinion is it would make more sense to invest in a better instrument.

"But the riser is there for add to the attractive design, and "possible" hand comfort. "

It also adds to the stability of the instrument and increases sustain.

"with the sound of a classic Fender PSG. "

In my opinion, not even close....and I have owned the Student model and currently have several versions of the cable models. It sounds like none of them. It has its own tone...not good or bad, that being a subjective point...but it doesn't sound like a long-scale or short-scale cable 400, 800, whatever.

"What about the new "Blackjack", is this junk also? "

That's a professional aluminum neck guitar of totally different construction with quite a few options and some advanced features. You're comparing apples and oranges. Why was that even mentioned?

Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2007 3:53 pm    

DELETED

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 26 Feb 2011 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Fred Bova

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2007 11:27 pm    

Michael
You wrote
"Fred...
There are three models of "rodded" Fender steel guitars...
1 Student Single 10 (3+1)
2 Artist Single 10 (3+4)
3 Artist Dual 10 (8+4)
I've owned them all and over two dozen Mavericks as well. The underside of the Student Single 10 I had WAS a Maverick."

Michael,I have a "Student Single 10 (3+1)".
Not a raise neck "Artist" model.

It came Stock with all Sho-Bud Super Pro Parts. It is not a fixed system like all of the Mevericks I've seen.

I have seen Mavericks that have been upgraded with other pull systems and changers, but I have never seen a Sho-Bud/"Student" model with Maverick style parts. And I keep copies of photos from eBay, etc of everyone of these Sho-Bud/Fenders that is anywhere on the web.

Anyone have any pics of these?

Fred

Fred Bova

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2007 11:45 pm     Answer to the original question

Jim, go back to the original post.
He already OWNS a "student" model.
He is not shopping and asking opinions as to what to buy or avoid.
He is not asking if he made a good choice or a bad mistake.
He was asking if there are parts for the "Student" model he OWNS, and PLAYS.

-----------------------------------------------

Now back to the original post;

Topic: Finding Add-On parts for Fender Artist Series?

The answer is;

You have a "Student" not an "Artist", but either way the answer is the same.

Yes, they are readily avail.
They are reasonably priced.
They are very, very easy to instal.

And many of us have done exactly what you are thinking of doing with very good results.

If you have any questions please email me, and I would be glad to give you any info you need to upgrade your Sho-Bud "Student" PSG.

Enjoy it, I know I do mine,
Fred

Nic du Toit

Milnerton, Cape, South Africa
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2007 2:18 am    

I have no "fight in this dog". Wink
My friend Peter den Hartogh asked me to post these pics of his Fender Artist S10 Serial#117.
He thinks the changer is different than Clyde's picture. You be the judge.

Not interchangeable?

Not interchangeable?

These parts are interchangeable.
These parts you can get from: http://www.duanemarrs.com

http://www.duanemarrs.com/images/lrhexshaftkit%24100_00.jpg
http://www.duanemarrs.com/images/pedalrodpullerhexshaft$14_00.jpg
http://www.duanemarrs.com/images/shobudkneeleverbracket$14_00.jpg

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2007 9:42 am    

Again, the Artist model is a different guitar. Just as the aforementioned Blackjack (which I still don't understand including in the discussion at all) is a completely different design.

Fred, I understand the question. I was just offering what I think many would consider cautionary advice (I was given the same advice, and told the same thing discussing the guitar after I sold it) - modifying a Maverick is fine if you know what you have...but the poster is a new player and it's only fair to provide all sides to the issue. If someone wants to advise him how to modify it, there's nothing wroing with that either.

You can insist all you want - but every one I've encountered (and apparently also those seen by Michael Lee Allen, who I daresay could write a book on pedal steel mechanics and models from memory ) is a Maverick in Fender duds.

Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2007 12:18 pm    

REMOVED.

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 26 Feb 2011 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Fred Bova

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2007 11:04 pm    

Hi guys, I guess it is possible that some "student" models came with Maverick sytle fixed pulls.

I only answered with the info that I have seen, either on Sho-Bud sites, on this forum with input from Jody from Fender, and my own personal experiance with the one I own.

From what I have seen and read, the "Artist" has a different Changer. The "Student" has a simple Pull Release Changer.

I just know that not all "Students" were made exactly like a Maverick as far as the pull system.

I know this because I have the exact same model PSG guitar as Clyde has, with the same changer as Clyde has, and it is stock with Super Pro parts. Hex, adjustable, no welds.

As far as the "Blackjack" ref.
From my memory of seeing one in person a few months ago,it has a Fender style Ashtray tuner, like the Fender/Sho-Bud Student and I believe it does not have a raised neck. But, I may be wrong about the neck.

Anyway,Lets move on. We are heading way left of center.

Clyde, if you can email me a picture of the underside of your PSG I will be able to let you know if you can do the same upgrades I did to mine.

J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2007 7:49 am    

Clyde, which parts are you looking for? I have a Fender Artist D10, that is being converted to an S10. I have quite a few parts left over. Changer, pedals, rods, tuning pan, the aluminum block the pan sits in, pickup, etc. Maybe we can work something out.

Bob Hickish

Post  Posted 17 Jul 2007 5:52 am    

J Fletcher

I just had to ask , do you still have that Fender changer ?

You mentioned that you had extra parts ,
I'd like to buy it if you want to sell .

I tried to eMail you but got the DEBUG flag . PM didn't work either -- I think !
Hick

J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2007 12:37 pm    

Hi Bob
I do still have the changer, but am reconsidering what to do with the guitar. Don't think I want to part it out.
I'd be more interested in selling the whole project as is. Just don't seem to be getting around to it, and I have three other pedal steels...Jerry

Bob Hickish

Post  Posted 17 Jul 2007 2:10 pm    

OKey ! Thanks J

I need another one like a hole in the head my self . send an Email with some numbers . --- Maybe ?? !!

Hick