The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  STUDY & PRACTICE HABITS for a (New) Player?
Clyde Hannah

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2007 9:15 am    

Hello everyone! Wow what a Forum!!!

What is your experience's or thoughts about the best Study & Practice habits for a new Pedal Steel Player?

The consistant "Must do" to stay focused and build a solid foundation?

Thanks fellas!
Clyde Hannah

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2007 9:23 am    

Never give up!!! Keep practicing the same run, or chord progression until it becomes reflex. Besides, it'll get your wife out of the house more often. Wink
Seriously, this instrument takes one heck of a lot of practice to become proficient. It will NOT happen overnite unless you are a prodigy. Once it starts to jell, you will become an addict. There is no destination in mind, just go on down the road and enjoy the trip.

Last edited by Jim Bob Sedgwick on 13 Jun 2007 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2007 9:23 am    

I think it depends entirely on what style of music you play. Traditional country playing uses a different set of playing skills (at least some variations) than rock playing, with country-rockers somewhere in between and sacred steelers an almost entirely different set.

It could also depend on the type of guitar - a "standard" 10 string 3+4 or 3+5 E9 is played differently than an 8-string Fender with 8 pedals, or a sacred steel setup.

Even within those subsets you'll find some VERY strong opinions of "right" and "wrong". You have to read between the lines a lot to figure out what works - for YOU. My best advice is don't get locked into any one method of anything as "right" - try lots of things, and use what works. Don't discount any advice, but consider lots of options before settling into a "routine".

So what's you're pleasure? And welcome to the forum!
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2007 9:25 am    

Great post, JIM. Very well said. Smile

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2007 9:26 am    

Clyde-Welcome to the Forum. There are lots of good courses out there to get you started. After you get the basics down good,

Get out and play with a group. You will learn a lot about playing in a band that way...Good luck...al.SmileSmile

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2007 9:29 am    

Quote:
Get out and play with a group. You will learn a lot about playing in a band that way.

Good point - you will learn more in one night on the bandstand (even if you think you're not ready) than in months of study and practice. Even jams are better than sitting home - playing with humans gives you a whole new perspective.

Mat Rhodes

Lexington, KY, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2007 9:48 am    

Yes, you should get out and play with a group ASAP. But woodshedding at home is equally important. Despite what some will tell you, the bandstand is not a place to experiment if you don't know what you're doing. Muscle memory should be developed at home.

If you have one block of time for every day, say 2 hours or so, then here's a recommended regimen if you want to save time and become proficient. I got this regimen from Fred Hamilton (Univ. of North Texas) and Susan Alcorn.

25% for scales, arpeggios, and technique development. Mix it with palm blocking and pick blocking as desired. Practice in all keys if possible and with a metronome/drum machine.

25% for chord studies, progressions, and voicings. Learn as many as you can and strive for smooth voice leading. Practice in all keys if possible and with a metronome/drum machine.

50% for improvising, learning songs, and learning licks that you'll use with your band. Practice in all keys if possible (and you know the rest).

And when your free (non-practice) time permits, listen as much to steel players as you can via recordings.

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2007 10:14 am    

Clyde,welcome to the forum,All I can add is just practice,practice,practice,when you get through practice some more.Practice may not make perfect,but it sures helps.

Clyde Hannah

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2007 10:21 am    

Jim, Jim Bob, Al & Matt...Thanks so much! The things you guys posted is super!
I have a Fender Artist Student 3+1...I really enjoy the Traditional country sound but would love to play "West Coast County Rock"!
Al, my wife and I really enjoyed your website pictures!
Ive tried to look around for guys like myself here around town, but didnt try very hard because of my level. I came to Pedal steel by way of lap steel, I have a 49' rickenbacher 6 string tuned to a Don Helms kinda E6th, I Love it!
Thanks again Guys, I'll be back a little!
Clyde

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2007 10:48 am    

Clyde-Thanks for looking at my Website and enjoying it. Just a little bit of history.

I played a little Fender like that with a band, (picture on my website) for several months while waiting for my new MSA D12 from Reece around 1972.

You got a good start with that 6 string E6 tuning. Good for you. I had a 6 string supro and used E6 and A6 a lot back in 1938.Good luc again, i like to see new players joining this Forum, it is got a a lot of really great guys and players on it.....al.SmileSmile

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus

Mat Rhodes

Lexington, KY, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2007 11:16 am    

No problem, Clyde. I hope it helps in the long run.

I forgot to add that on the chord progression segment of my practice sessions, I learned one of my most valuable lessons from one lesson with Reese Anderson. It's so simple yet esoteric at the same time.

And that's try to learn and hear the numbers (I, ii, V, etc.) associated with all of the surrounding chords in relation to your root chord (the one, without the use of a pedal or knee lever, that the key of the song is in). It took me years to understand what he meant, but once you have that ingrained after constant repetition (practicing), then you can hear and see the chord changes (patterns) of most songs on your "internal fretboard" without ever touching your steel. This makes adapting to a band even easier.

Alan Coldiron

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2007 11:59 am    

Hey Clyde

My main instrument is bass but have been playing steel for just a few months. I'm starting to use the same process of learning steel that I used to learn bass.
Bug the daylights out of people until they show you something you can use.Getting to know some of the guys on the forum and picking their brain is great stuff. Try to hang with some if you can. Go to Steel shows, thats a great place to meet and learn. Get a mentor. I'm lucky that I have Jim Thompson who helps me and is always there plus another steel player friend Karl Nutt. Being around other players keeps you focused and motivated. I know after I have been around some of these great players I seem to move up a notch just from the insperation.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2007 12:09 pm    

A large percentage of things can be played in 3 or 4 different positions. After you learn a lick or phrase in one position, look around to find it in a couple more. It helps your overall understanding of the tuning...especially E9.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2007 12:28 pm    

Clyde - the guitar you have is not an "Artist" - it's a Fender Student S-10. It's a guitar actually made by Shobud for Fender out of Maverick parts, with a Fender pickup and tuning pan.

You may find (depending on how much steel you want to do) that the guitar is VERY limited. For "normal" country, 3 pedals and 4 or 5 knee levers is standard - one knee lever won't get you past chapter 2 in the major steel lesson books. It'a also a difficult guitar to add parts to (and honestly not worth it).

You may want to upgrade if you're serious about steel - and soon. I found that model to not stay in tune, the changer was inconsistent, and the limitations frustrating. But again, if it's just for a little bit here and there it may work fine for you.

"West Coast Country Rock" covers a lot of ground, from "normal" country playing on 10 string E9 rigs to 8 string B6 playing on Fenders like Sneaky Pete (a whole different ballgame, but several of us do it). I really think you'll outgrow that rig , if you're serious, in very short order.

good luck!

Last edited by Jim Sliff on 14 Jun 2007 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2007 1:51 pm    

Find a teacher in your area and get some "one-on-one"
time with them. Even if you just take a few lessons to get grounded with the tuning and chord positions available on your guitar, an experienced teacher can show you the ropes and give you a major head start.
Band in a Box, is also a great tool to get started playing songs with a band that does not whine if you make them play it over and over and over. Smile
Learn one lick until you can play it forwards and backwards in you sleep. Then learn another one just as well. Then play 1/2 the first one with 1/2 of the second one, now you'll have 3 licks, and from there its all downhill!
JE:-)>
MSA Legend SD12 5/5 -06'
Mullen S-12 4/5 - 1986
Nashville 112 x2 W/Knob Guards - Don't leave home with out one!
Walker SS rack system - 12"BW's
Quilter Steelaire Combo

Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2007 6:17 am    

Clyde
Welcome to the forum!
Based on the pic of you playing my advice to you is this. (Which is the same and best advice I got when I started) Licks runs intros etc will come with experience and knowledge ( playing and teaching aids)
BUT the first thing I would suggest you do is get you mechanical technique down. These are things like br technique and ESPECIALLY the positioning of your right hand. Blocking, in whatever form, is a must. That's the first thing that must become second nature. It's kinda lilke walking a straight line. If you vere off a little in the long run you will be way off in the end. My own personal rule#1 is always keep your thumb flush to the strings. The thumb guides the hand and makes it work together. If you want to play clean or fast this is a must for me. Plus what it does for tone. MEchanics than develope your own style. That's my creedo!

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2007 7:14 am    

Find a teacher as soon as possible or really study a couple DVDs about your right hand. From the picture you posted it looks like you are holding your right hand in a way that could cripple your ability to ever play well or get control of your tone. Also if you continue playing with your wrist bent like that you can cause yourself some very real physical problems.

It looks like you currently move your fingers to select strings instead of moving your entire hand. Try getting your wrist off the corner of the changer and body.

The more you practice the better you will play !

Have fun,

Pete Blakeslee

Lincoln, NE
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2007 7:36 am    

Clyde: My advice is - don't wear those pants to your first gig.

Pete Blakeslee

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2007 8:36 am    

Depends on the gig.

Bobby Snell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2007 2:18 pm     Ups and Flats

Sometimes you work on something and make progress, then hit a plateau...don't sweat that.

Put that something away and work on something else. About a month later, take the first something out and often you'll just make amazing progress.