The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Wilburn Brothers
Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2007 6:32 pm    

I've seen many videos recently of this dynamic duo dating back to the 60' and 70's. Dumb question, but where are the Wilburn Brothers today??
PRR

Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 May 2007 7:10 pm    

Well Paul, like all good things. the Wilburns--Doyle and Teddy-- have both passed on to better things. Doyle died in the early '80s with cancer I believe and Teddy passed on some time around 2002 or 03. Not certain of the dates but both are gone.

Phred

Mark Edwards

Weatherford,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2007 3:47 am    

Phred that is a shame, they don't make those entertaining shows like that anymore. I literally grew up watching shows like the Wilburn Brothers, Porter Wagoner, and I wonder if anyone remembers the Cowboy Weaver Show. Not sure if that was a nationally syndicated show or not. Phred Is Cowboy Weaver still around?

I made him a blue cowboy hat about 4 years ago, and was wondering if he was still living. As best as I can remember he was up around the Merkel area in West Texas....

Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 May 2007 6:28 am    

Mark, I think he's still singing around the Abilene, Texas area, but I'm not sure. I believe he had a home on Cedar Creek Lake but later moved out to the central part of the state around Comanche or Dublin somewhere. I know he loved steel guitar music very much and was responsible for Gary Hogue's move to Nashville from the old Mesquite Opry. Also another great player from the Lancaster Texas area, Earl Briggs went through the Mesquite Opry in the early 80's I'm sure. Don't know if Earl is a member of the forum or not but he's a great player. Loyd Weaver was a great friend to the late Billy Walker and Dewey Groom of the famous Longhorn Ballroom. Reece Anderson might know more, I know he also was good a friend with Dewey.

Phred

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 22 May 2007 11:24 am    

For those who are not familiar with the Wilburns and for those who want listen to them again, here are two tracks:

http://www.lloydgreentribute.com/AustrianSteelguitar/Forum.htm

"I Dreamed Of An Old Love Affair" features Don Helms and Pete Drake on steel, "Pickin' Up The Mail" features Hal Rugg.

Enjoy!

Kind Regards, Walter